The rich get richer...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually it shouldn't, since the NFL has become a political platform... eventually it will leave us with nothing to talk about lol
Personally I don’t even get why it’s P&R. Racism shouldn’t be political or religion, right?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow maybe there is so much inequality in the roster composition between black and white players we should give jobs to white players even if they aren't as good as their black peers. Why not just be colorblind and hire the best coaches, GMs irrespective of their race?
You’d hope that was the goal. Unfortunately: keim.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
well we wouldn’t be in this situation if they had started doing what’s right ages ago. You agree?
I don't know, my team has hired minority candidates for years. I'm not going to get into the discussion of what's "right" or not, just whether or not this is fair for teams.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If it makes the Lambs weaker then I’m all for it

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So what we have is one profession, coaching, that has relatively equal representation as a % of the population.

Meanwhile, the profession of playing has a demographic that is overwhelmingly over-represented against the general population.

How then does the logic flow, that the same over-representation that exists in one profession should be forced onto another profession.

These two professions are not equivalent.
Maybe teams should get free extra picks when they draft white guys?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One could argue that the White population in the U.S is 76% & the black population is 13% so there's way more white coaches according to population? I have no idea & it's a touchy subject to some people. 70% black players in the NFL. Personally I don't care one way or the other what race the coach of my team is, I just want a coach that knows how to win. Hire the most qualified coach regardless of race. At the end of the day, these billionaire owners are gonna hire whoever they want regardless of compensatory picks or not. I can tell you right now a black man that I would love to have as our GM (Louis Riddick) that dude knows football & would nail it here imo.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bunch of white guys complaining how the system isn’t fair ignoring the fact it’s been a good old boys network for ages.

uh how come they can’t just hire the best coaches based on resume.... oh I don’t know maybe because they’ve been given decades to do it and they failed.

Jesus Christ man.

Both things can be true.

The system can be broken and this can be a dumb way to fix it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the comp picks system is dumb because it suggests owners aren't picking black GM's (or Black coaches) based on skin color. I don't believe thats the case. Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin are some of the best coaches the NFL ever had, I don't believe any owner (well most, I'm sure there's a redneck or two still in there somewhere) would exclude any none white candidate from the job based on skin tone.

The problem is supply. I often see "The players are 70% Black". What's that got to do with anything? Players rarely go on to become top coaches or GMs. Or even bad ones. Most players are good at playing football but couldn't run a McDonalds franchise, no matter their skin colour. Those that are smart are often millionaires many times over by 30 but with no coaching experience. How many are going to start out as a quality control coach on 60k a year? Even those that don't stick around the league often make enough money to do something like intense, even a poor player that hangs around the league long enough can earn enough money to get into property or something else where they don't need to work 70 hour weeks.

Mike Tomlin is a great HC because he spent years learning to be a great HC. He wasn't a pro player. He came up through college and position coach ranks.

Tony Dungy was a washout in the NFL who did the same. Went and coached college ball and worked his way up.

So the percentage of players who are black or white has nothing to do with the supply pool for coaching and GM positions.

Brad Holmes, the new Lions GM worked for the Rams for 20 years starting as a scouting assistant. You want more minority coaches and GM's? You need more supply. You need more of them in the grass roots of coaching and FO jobs. More scouts, more assistants, more college position coaches etc. The NFL should start a placement or training scheme for all NFL players that wash out the league before they are vested if they have the college degrees to qualify.

Offering comp picks is not the answer.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3/32 is 9% and the black population in the US is 13%....

its not that far off and not deserving of extra picks to rectify... its truly insulting to the black community to give picks out as an "atta boy" for hiring a black man

Are you black?

If not (and even if you are) don't presume to speak for a whole community.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not old fashioned, just common sense.

this is further propagating racial divide

Interesting how any time something is devised to give minorities a "hand-up" there's some "white" guy trotting out the specious "propagating racial divide" argument and claiming commonsense.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want to be a Black GM and have your staff whisper "He only got the job because of the comp picks" every time they lose a game? And have the same thing loudly stated by fans on social media?

Whether it's true or not, that's what this does. If you ain't successful you got the job for the picks.

And if you're successful it was a smart investment!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the comp picks system is dumb because it suggests owners aren't picking black GM's (or Black coaches) based on skin color. I don't believe thats the case. Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin are some of the best coaches the NFL ever had, I don't believe any owner (well most, I'm sure there's a redneck or two still in there somewhere) would exclude any none white candidate from the job based on skin tone.

The problem is supply. I often see "The players are 70% Black". What's that got to do with anything? Players rarely go on to become top coaches or GMs. Or even bad ones. Most players are good at playing football but couldn't run a McDonalds franchise, no matter their skin colour. Those that are smart are often millionaires many times over by 30 but with no coaching experience. How many are going to start out as a quality control coach on 60k a year? Even those that don't stick around the league often make enough money to do something like intense, even a poor player that hangs around the league long enough can earn enough money to get into property or something else where they don't need to work 70 hour weeks.

Mike Tomlin is a great HC because he spent years learning to be a great HC. He wasn't a pro player. He came up through college and position coach ranks.

Tony Dungy was a washout in the NFL who did the same. Went and coached college ball and worked his way up.

So the percentage of players who are black or white has nothing to do with the supply pool for coaching and GM positions.

Brad Holmes, the new Lions GM worked for the Rams for 20 years starting as a scouting assistant. You want more minority coaches and GM's? You need more supply. You need more of them in the grass roots of coaching and FO jobs. More scouts, more assistants, more college position coaches etc. The NFL should start a placement or training scheme for all NFL players that wash out the league before they are vested if they have the college degrees to qualify.

Offering comp picks is not the answer.

The NFL supports the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship and the Nunn-Wooten Scouting Fellowship Program.

OP
OP
imaCafan

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Wasn’t posting this to cause tension. I just thought if you want to give incentives (comp picks) for hiring minorities it might work better if you give it to the team signing them. Maybe a pick to the signing team and a pick to the team losing the candidate. Or not....

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL supports the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship and the Nunn-Wooten Scouting Fellowship Program.

I know G, but it's nowhere near enough and rather tokenistic at the moment. They should have a much larger scheme in place for all players (which by demographics would be mostly non white) to encourage far more players that wash out to go into coaching. Also a more official coaching qualifications system similar to we have with the coaching badges scheme in European football.

It wouldn't be easy as it would really need NCAA involvement ideally but it would get many more black players into grassroots coaching that in years to come will mean more NFL coaches.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely missed that and should have read the article. Derp! Thanks for pointing that out.

Certainly not what I've been doing. And way to add another layer of race to the issue. Posts like these are part of the problem, not the solution.

The article didn't do a good job of doing that either. I sadly had to look at the comments below to truly understand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose