The rich get richer...

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
call me crazy but a combo of 4 Black coaches/GMs out of 64 possible jobs, in a league dominated by Black Players does more harm for the racial divide in this country than trying to give Black coaches the opportunities they rightly deserve.
If you want to go off of demographics proper representation would be 8 black GM/Coaches. Anything over would be, using your logic in this situation, evidence of discrimination against other races. I know this is for a noble cause but racial quotas just feel weird and wrong. There's so many more factors at play. I don't like implying that every team that doesnt have a black headcoach is guilty of racial discrimination.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 black head coaches and 2 GM's in the NFL in 2020. One of those coaches was fired.

Giving people more opportunity is a good thing. If it takes draft picks to make it happen in the NFL, then that is what needs to happen today. Sad that it has to come to that.

Juza - with all due respect, your examples are way off base.

You want to be a Black GM and have your staff whisper "He only got the job because of the comp picks" every time they lose a game? And have the same thing loudly stated by fans on social media?

Whether it's true or not, that's what this does. If you ain't successful you got the job for the picks.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow maybe there is so much inequality in the roster composition between black and white players we should give jobs to white players even if they aren't as good as their black peers. Why not just be colorblind and hire the best coaches, GMs irrespective of their race?

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The owner who voted in the rule are the ones who have to step up and hire blacks away from other teams. But long term this rule is going to have the opposite of the intended results because it is stupid to give an opponent an advantage.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
If you look at the quote it says RAMS get draft picks for LIONS signing Holmes. Why don’t the LIONS get the picks for signing him instead of RAMS?

Because they are compensatory picks, the Rams get picks as compensation for the Lions taking one of their coaches.

It's the same as a team getting compensatory picks when they lose a player, the loins don't need compensation because they got the guy they wanted.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is really dumb. It's a broken system, to be sure, but this surely isn't the way to fix it.

Why not. You don't get a comp pick for hiring a minority coach. The team that gave the minority coach a chance and gets hired somewhere else gets a pick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bunch of white guys complaining how the system isn’t fair ignoring the fact it’s been a good old boys network for ages.

uh how come they can’t just hire the best coaches based on resume.... oh I don’t know maybe because they’ve been given decades to do it and they failed.

Jesus Christ man.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
3/32 is 9% and the black population in the US is 13%....

its not that far off and not deserving of extra picks to rectify... its truly insulting to the black community to give picks out as an "atta boy" for hiring a black man
Now do the percentage of black people that are in the nfl.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Now tell what is the NFL player representation for Black players in the league?

I’ll give you a hint... it’s 70%.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/31/nfl-tv-coverage-racial-demographics-super-bowl

When your industry is 70% Black but the leadership positions are repped at a 9% clip, that’s PATHETIC.

what’s truly insulting is that the league HAS to offer draft picks to give Black coaches opportunities in a sport where they overrepresent the entire league. But the league is still so racist, that I fully support them doing so just to ensure Black coaches get an even somewhat fair shake.
Borg

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Uh oh. Methinks you just poked the "woke brigade" of ASFN. I won't know as I use the "ignore" feature for most.
Lame. Woulda had more respect for you if posted something substantive instead of just actually denigrating a group of posters.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Bunch of white guys complaining how the system isn’t fair ignoring the fact it’s been a good old boys network for ages.

uh how come they can’t just hire the best coaches based on resume.... oh I don’t know maybe because they’ve been given decades to do it and they failed.

Jesus Christ man.
It's still a ridiculous competitive advantage given to a team based off of things largely out of their control.

How about financially compensating the team? Or donating to a worthy cause on their behalf?

Handing someone two picks that could turn into a 15 year all-pro and change the balance of the game doesn't make any sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why not. You don't get a comp pick for hiring a minority coach. The team that gave the minority coach a chance and gets hired somewhere else gets a pick.

I completely missed that and should have read the article. Derp! Thanks for pointing that out.

Jesus Christ man.

Certainly not what I've been doing. And way to add another layer of race to the issue. Posts like these are part of the problem, not the solution.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
Now quote the % of minority players in the NFL. See the problem?

So what we have is one profession, coaching, that has relatively equal representation as a % of the population.

Meanwhile, the profession of playing has a demographic that is overwhelmingly over-represented against the general population.

How then does the logic flow, that the same over-representation that exists in one profession should be forced onto another profession.

These two professions are not equivalent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's still a ridiculous competitive advantage given to a team based off of things largely out of their control.

How about financially compensating the team? Or donating to a worthy cause on their behalf?

Handing someone two picks that could turn into a 15 year all-pro and change the balance of the game doesn't make any sense.

well we wouldn’t be in this situation if they had started doing what’s right ages ago. You agree?

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score

Jesus Christ man.

What makes you think they didn't hire the best candidates, successful or not? The NFL is a zero-sum game......