DJ Humphries Re-Signed

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I well remember his rookie season. The season he didn't even get on the field. During preseason, my friend and I noticed EVERY single time the offense came off the field he RAN to get a seat on the cart. Which also happened to be in front of a fan. We were not impressed.

This is an example of patience paying off.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
why would KC do that and what are you giving up. He has 1 year left on his deal? Your going to have to resign him and pay him or just be in the same situation

They have a young, cheaper replacement.

A 5th rounder.

And, yes, we'd probably want to extend but it's $2.75m in 2021.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a great post to keep in my mind the next time you talk like a know it all, ripping on a player. The next time inevitably being multiple times today.

This might surprise you, but when a player has had 5 years in the league and been average to poor its fair to expect them to be average to poor.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am happy to see The Captain see the fruits of his hard work. I have had to change my judgments of offensive linemen and now think you really have to be patient. It is one reason I wouldn't blindly continue to start Cole if you can upgrade, but I also think you hold onto Cole because he isn't a bad player.

I can't even count how many times we've seen the Cardinals move on from a cheap young vet, only to see them blossom elsewhere.

That Islander kid, can't remember his name that was drafted under Whisenhunt regime. He still starts in the NFL, I think for the Texans now. Not a bad player and was a late pick that they moved on for worse players.

Darren Fells comes to mind for me. He was a decent TE with some skill that they could've kept for a pretty cheap contract.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This might surprise you, but when a player has had 5 years in the league and been average to poor its fair to expect them to be average to poor.
Again that's your opinion. Mine says he's played well since he was moved to his natural position LT. The injury concerns were a legit concern, but his play has never been a question in my mind.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolford outran Reddick easily

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’ve like Hump from day 1. Most think guys who don’t come in and dominate from day 1 are busts.

All along, the only question was health. Hump will be a pro bowler going forward. This was the year to establish himself.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’ve like Hump from day 1. Most think guys who don’t come in and dominate from day 1 are busts.

All along, the only question was health. Hump will be a pro bowler going forward. This was the year to establish himself.

Well, he was an absolute waste in his first season, and didn't look like developing at that time. He was a slow developer but got there in the end.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Well, he was an absolute waste in his first season, and didn't look like developing at that time. He was a slow developer but got there in the end.
Why judge a player on his rookie season, good or bad?
It’s a huge step going to the NFL.

Is the kid from Houston a bust? Josh Jones may turn out to be a very good tackle.

Stout

Reaction score
Why judge a player on his rookie season, good or bad?
It’s a huge step going to the NFL.

Is the kid from Houston a bust? Josh Jones may turn out to be a very good tackle.

When a 1st round player can't get on the GAME DAY ROSTER, that is Wendell Bryant bad. Thankfully, he was just a super slow developer, though.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Included in your "dump" was a season when he gave up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps!

No one has a problem with questioning a deal, it's your absolute certainty that rankles.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He came out early and was an investment in the future, not envisaged as a year-one starter.

Reactions: HGC

Stout

Reaction score
He came out early and was an investment in the future, not envisaged as a year-one starter.

That's all well and good, but not managing to make the ACTIVE ROSTER is just plain bad. Also, having your 1st-round pick as a non-contributor in this day and age is a disadvantage. With Simmons, well, we can point to VJ as the big problem, but at least he contributed.

Like I said, he came good and is an excellent LT now. He got past the looking like a bust phase, so I'm pleased.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but not managing to make the ACTIVE ROSTER is just plain bad. Also, having your 1st-round pick as a non-contributor in this day and age is a disadvantage. With Simmons, well, we can point to VJ as the big problem, but at least he contributed.

Like I said, he came good and is an excellent LT now. He got past the looking like a bust phase, so I'm pleased.

Why would you take up a game-day slot with someone who is not going to play?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
When the numbers match your eyes, you know it is accurate.

Our offensive building blocks are 100% Murray, Hopkins and Humphries.

I think you can argue that as role players, KeeSean Johnson, Chase, Maxx, Dan Arnold, and Justin Murray are also in there.

The question is can we find those two or three key pieces to fill that all out. Can Josh Jones replace Kelvin Beachum and just finish the season stronger than Kelvin did? Can we get a C who can set the front of the pocket? Can we get a consistent vertical threat to keep the S's back and open up the middle of the field?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Included in your "dump" was a season when he gave up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps!

No one has a problem with questioning a deal, it's your absolute certainty that rankles.

I was absolutely certain he'd been poor up until the season. Sacks aren't an accurate measure of tackle play, an argument literally made 1000 times here when talking about Kyler at QB.

I'm glad he's improved.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Humphries showed glimpses of being a good tackle all along.

In 2019 he started to look like a good tackle. Not 100% consistently, but more than just glimpses.

After a roughish game or two, he was probably the Cardinals highest graded player all year.

This is why a good chunk of the board thought your takes were silly. If the Cardinals had taken YOUR approach, they would have let a top left tackle go and signed BEACHUM to replace him. Beachum is the definition of mediocre. I saw that dude get beat pretty regularly down the stretch.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries showed glimpses of being a good tackle all along.

In 2019 he started to look like a good tackle. Not 100% consistently, but more than just glimpses.

After a roughish game or two, he was probably the Cardinals highest graded player all year.

This is why a good chunk of the board thought your takes were silly. If the Cardinals had taken YOUR approach, they would have let a top left tackle go and signed BEACHUM to replace him. Beachum is the definition of mediocre. I saw that dude get beat pretty regularly down the stretch.

Come on man. You're rewriting history. I could show you a tonne of threads and posts on here over the previous 5 years slating Hump's performances.

Those using his PFF grade this year as an indictment of his new contract are correct, he's played well. I was wrong, I'm glad. I didn't think he would get better, he did. More important after about game 4 he's been consistently good.

But before this year he wasn't good. I can show you tackle ranking by respected O line analysts that ranked him in the bottom tier. His PFF grades were average. There wasn't a rival fan in the league thinking "I wish DJ Humphries was our LT, he's better than X we have now".

So I stand by what I said at the time. I think it was a fair comment not to resign him based on his previous play and his extensive injury history. But it worked out so far, I'm pleased I was wrong.

I can't be there only guy here ever to have a strong opinion on whether we should re sign someone or not so I'm not sure why it's a big deal to some people to say "I told you so".