Is it time to sit KM?

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it time to sit KM with the Rams game coming up?

We need a true evaluation of KM’s shoulder. If he is injured to the point that he can no longer break the pocket and run for necessary yardage, it may be time to sit him. KM’s game is in his runs more so than his passing.

Our offensive playcalling has really shrunk the field to accommodate KM’s shoulder issue. Once the D figures that we are playing the edges for 5-to-10 yard passes with an occasional run—that 17 points we put up against the Pats is going to look better-and-better.

We’ve been playing teams with terrible-to-average D’s. And have been losing. We get the Rams with the #1 D (close with the Saints) I fear KM getting manhandled and intercepted should we march him out there when he is playing injured and either can’t or won’t run past the LOS.

KM is at risk for further injury and the Cards will see their playoffs hope get flushed down the toilet.
Will starting one of our back-up QBs give us a better chance vs the Rams?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he can play he will. If he is really limited I agree with you. Would have to be Hundley getting the start.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams are daring him to beat them with his arm. They have been locking him up running the ball. If his shoulder is bad enough that he isn't going to be effective in the passing game we are screwed and he should sit.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Without an even hurt KM you will really see how poor kliff is as a head coach

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K1 is of the opinion that he does not need to run for this team to win smh

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If his shoulder checks out (can make all the throws) and he feels fine and wants to play ..nah.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it is more of he still needs work with passing than it is poor offensive design.

I think his passing his fine.

I don't see anything that is bad from k1s perspective.

The problem is that the offense is very bland and does nothing make it easier for the qb

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should have all 3 QB's active, is that allowed now I think it is?

KM is the guy so if he can play he should, he was clearly limited the last 2 games so hopefully that changes. We haven't really seen any deep shots but those 2 backing up sling over the middle passes that requires arm strength and he made both of them look pretty easy.

Hopefully Fitz is back, the longest pass play of the game was the flip to Isabella for 19 yards. I don't think we can beat the Rams without Kyler so I sure hope he's going to play.

this team desperately needs a WR that stretches the field consistently, we've seen it some with Kirk but we're not doing it enough I don't know if it's playcalling, the WR's, the QB but we HAVE to stretch the field

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his passing his fine.

I don't see anything that is bad from k1s perspective.

The problem is that the offense is very bland and does nothing make it easier for the qb

He doesnt lead receivers much, he often waits until they are in position instead of throwing them into position and etc. I'd say he is average in the passing game right now. He has the arm talent and when he runs he is hard to defend and that is masking his deficiencies at the moment.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He doesnt lead receivers much, he often waits until they are in position instead of throwing them into position and etc. I'd say he is average in the passing game right now. He has the arm talent and when he runs he is hard to defend and that is masking his deficiencies at the moment.

I know what you mean but some of that seems coaching based and by design of the offense.

From what I see, I guess you have to look at the all 22, it looks like there are a lot of curl and hitch routes that are designed for the qb to put the ball in a certain space and wr
is supposed to be in that space.

I could be wrong though

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean but some of that seems coaching based and by design of the offense.

From what I see, I guess you have to look at the all 22, it looks like there are a lot of curl and hitch routes that are designed for the qb to put the ball in a certain space and wr
is supposed to be in that space.

I could be wrong though
if you wait for the hitch route to fully develop before you throw, the WR is no longer open. He is throwing too late on most of his throws.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Josh Rosen is available off the TB practice squad.

..........lololol. Not serious.

Murray is learning, Kliff is learning and they are losing to QB's and Coaches that are NFL veterans. That was the risk in all this, so it is not surprising.

Team is competitive and playing exciting games.

Probably not making the playoffs or doing anything in them if we get in, but it sure has been entertaining and worth the money to watch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I commented on in the game thread yesterday and I think this is more of a coaching thing. We completely changed who we are yesterday in that we were NOT running hurry up at all. We were routinely snapping the ball 5 seconds or less on the clock. I think Kliff wanted to run the ball and protect Kyler. So we played more 2 TE, Andy played 55% of the snaps but Maxx got 72% and Arnold 36% so almost half the snaps appeared to be with 2 TE's. We also played an extra OL fairly often on the short yardage plays.

The game plan was get the lead, we did, and then shorten the game.

The problem became not scoring at the end of the half and then losing the lead, we never got any momentum, and Kliff never really went back to speeding up. I'm used to seeing defense exhausted against us, really didn't see any of that.

I think Kliff had a gameplan and stuck to it, even when some things needed to change, like the zone reads where clearly Kyler was not going to keep the ball so why run a zone read?

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Head over to Youtube and do a search on 'Air Raid Offense Reading Grass'

You'll be able to see what K2 is trying to accomplish and why the Cards are having difficulty putting the concepts into execution.

Here's a high school coach introducing the 'Open Grass' concept (about 9 minutes):

Why we READ GRASS in the Air Raid Offense - YouTube

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok. If we score before the half from the dang 6 inch line. Kirk drops a pass and Drake scored. And then add the missed 45 basic FG. And we scored 27!!! The football Gods didn’t want us to win. Everything that could happen did. Kyler gets 1 more yard on 3rd down. Kliff calling the dumb timeout on 3rd down with 50 seconds left. Goto overtime!! The Patriots couldn’t move the ball. Simmons gets unlucky on the penalty at the end. We missed an easy fg. And we can’t score from the 6 inch line. And we lost on the last play. But anything normal happens. We score 27!! Let’s not act like we struggled to get 17.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing I commented on in the game thread yesterday and I think this is more of a coaching thing. We completely changed who we are yesterday in that we were NOT running hurry up at all. We were routinely snapping the ball 5 seconds or less on the clock. I think Kliff wanted to run the ball and protect Kyler. So we played more 2 TE, Andy played 55% of the snaps but Maxx got 72% and Arnold 36% so almost half the snaps appeared to be with 2 TE's. We also played an extra OL fairly often on the short yardage plays.

The game plan was get the lead, we did, and then shorten the game.

The problem became not scoring at the end of the half and then losing the lead, we never got any momentum, and Kliff never really went back to speeding up. I'm used to seeing defense exhausted against us, really didn't see any of that.

I think Kliff had a gameplan and stuck to it, even when some things needed to change, like the zone reads where clearly Kyler was not going to keep the ball so why run a zone read?
And if we kick The fg before half. And make the one at the end. We win

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If . . . IF . . . IF . . . IF . . . IF . . ., etc.

All add up to 'L' No IF's, Ands, and Buts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose