Free Agency 2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marcus Morris. 21m per year. Unbelievable.

How about sign-and-trade Aron Baynes to Boston for Marcus Smart? Just throwing out useless ideas.

I'd be all over that, but Boston would laugh and hang up the phone.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcus Morris. 21m per year. Unbelievable.

How about sign-and-trade Aron Baynes to Boston for Marcus Smart? Just throwing out useless ideas.

If we threw in Carter - something like that might be possible.

Things would be so much damn easier if we could trade our first rounder for Lou williams.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First off you have no idea what pick we are going to get in 2022.

2nd off All-NBA players are sometimes late firsts or even 2nd rounders.

I just can't believe how everyone on this board is making excuses for Jones's terrible GM skills.
Or is it that "we" realize that James Jones is a GM, you've never been one nor have any idea what it is actually like, and Jones has to work in the real world and not the fantasy draft/trade/FA world. The team definitely improved last year - makes the playoffs without DA being an idiot. Looks to be improved again this season but we'll have to wait for results. Let's see what this season brings.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Boston could just sign him outright for the MLE, however Smart makes almost 14m, so if Baynes wanted that extra 4, maybe he could try to push for something like this. I don't know.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is true it disputes the assertion that Miami didn't want him back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston could just sign him outright for the MLE, however Smart makes almost 14m, so if Baynes wanted that extra 4, maybe he could try to push for something like this. I don't know.
Smart still seems a core part of that team. So I doubt it would happen. The Pels have too many pg's. Hmm.

I think a 1-2 scorer off the bench, a vet, would be a nice final addition here. We could also use a center, too.

Would the Kings be stupid enough to do a Bogdan for Baynes sign and trade--maybe if we throw in a second round pick? They have to do something with Bogdan.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

They just wanted a future upgrade more. This tells me that at most Crowder was a placeholder for them for a year, not a part of their plans.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Crowder is interesting. Previously was the best PG he ever played with Mike Conley? Now it's definitely Chris Paul. I love Goran, but he's not as good as Chris Paul.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Smart still seems a core part of that team. So I doubt it would happen. The Pels have too many pg's. Hmm.

I think a 1-2 scorer off the bench, a vet, would be a nice final addition here. We could also use a center, too.

Would the Kings be stupid enough to do a Bogdan for Baynes sign and trade--maybe if we throw in a second round pick? They have to do something with Bogdan.
I would be ALL OVER that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They just wanted a future upgrade more. This tells me that at most Crowder was a placeholder for them for a year, not a part of their plans.
No it shows that they don't want big contracts beyond this season. They want to have enough next year to go after Giannis and presumably another star player as well. That is why they are inking 2 year deals with 1 guaranteed. Signing guys like Dragic and Crowder to deals that would get in the way of that doesn't make sense for them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This adds to the master plan idea for 2021-22 season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This adds to the master plan idea for 2021-22 season.

I wish the Suns had a master plan beyond just bringing in smart, gritty guys who fit in. The question is this: Fit in to what?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s no way Boston trades Smart for Baynes. He’s a bedrock for that team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There’s no way Boston trades Smart for Baynes. He’s a bedrock for that team.
I only brought him up because I've heard him mentioned in various rumors and Boston is interested in bringing Baynes back. There's no ulterior motive or anything.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had a master plan beyond just bringing in smart, gritty guys who fit in. The question is this: Fit in to what?

man... stuff is what it is at this point with this franchise. If this year has taught me anything, it’s a take what you can get world and I’m appreciative of whatever comes my way.

we’re not a well run destination franchise. I’m going to do my best to stop being mad about it and just hopefully enjoy us making the playoffs for a couple years before Booker goes to LA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
man... stuff is what it is at this point with this franchise. If this year has taught me anything, it’s a take what you can get world and I’m appreciative of whatever comes my way.

we’re not a well run destination franchise. I’m going to do my best to stop being mad about it and just hopefully enjoy us making the playoffs for a couple years before Booker goes to LA.

I'm not so sure this team makes the playoffs. A lot of teams in the West have improved, while we have basically made lateral moves overall, moderately upgrading one position while significantly downgrading the rest of our roster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so sure this team makes the playoffs. A lot of teams in the West have improved, while we have basically made lateral moves overall, moderately upgrading one position while significantly downgrading the rest of our roster.

We still have everyone from the bubble but Rubio who Paul replaces and have added Jalen Smith and Crowder.

We are slightly better, but really if we are going to move up in the west it is going to mainly happen from the improvement of our young core.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OKC is much worse. Houston is worse. Denver is worse. GS just suffered a massive blow. The Clippers are worse.

we’re all about health. If healthy the idea that CP3 is “moderately” better than Rubio is just you wanting to bitch to bitch. You know CP3 is a massive upgrade over Rubio if healthy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We still have everyone from the bubble but Rubio who Paul replaces and have added Jalen Smith and Crowder.

We are slightly better, but really if we are going to move up in the west it is going to mainly happen from the improvement of our young core.

I still consider the bubble an anomaly. We had everything to play for and the bulk of our opponents had nothing to play for and often rested up to half of their rosters. If you look at our total roster, we have upgraded moderately from Rubio to a 35 year old Chris Paul, we have replaced Oubre with a major downgrade in Crowder, and we have replaced Baynes with a 20 year old rookie whose lower body is nowhere near NBA ready. And we might still lose Saric on top of that.

And we don't have much of a young core. We have Booker, Ayton, Bridges and Cam. That's it. And Cam and Bridges have likely hit their ceilings, and there is only so much more Booker can improve. Which leaves only the ever unreliable Ayton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose