2020 Draft

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't buy it. A projected mid to late lottery prospect doesn't have a lot of pull. He was born in Oshkosh WI, and went to Iowa State yet he pulled strings to go to Sacramento?
Sacramentos moves before and during the draft looked like they were expecting him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't buy it. A projected mid to late lottery prospect doesn't have a lot of pull. He was born in Oshkosh WI, and went to Iowa State yet he pulled strings to go to Sacramento?
I can buy it if teams ahead of Sac weren't 100% sold on him as the best prospect for them. That plus him being open about not wanting other teams to draft him could be enough for teams to pass.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Gambo just basically said we could have moved down and gotten both Jalen Smith and Bane.

So I think he means Boston was willing to give us 14 and 30 for 10.

Says teams wanted to trade up for Halliburton.

So there it is confirmation Jones blew it again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gambo just basically said we could have moved down and gotten both Jalen Smith and Bane.

That doesn't mean Smith would have been there at 14 but Precious would have been another option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah, I heard Simmons talking with Kevin O'Connor that trade was there for the taking as well.

let's just hope Jalen Smith ends up being a solid producer like Cam was last season. If he is, it's a win, even if we could have done more with the asset when Halliburton fell to us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Seems better to ensure getting the player you want then trade back to pick up the 30th pick.

As is Ty-Shon is probably about as good a prospect as Bane and they got him on a 2 way instead of a fully guaranteed contract.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He probably did not want to risk Jalen being taken between 11-14. If he was that high on Jalen, I suppose it would have been a genuine concern. Obviously Boston was not that high on Bane. They dealt him already.

If there is ONE guy you want, trading back is really dangerous. You have to have multiple players you like.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah, I heard Simmons talking with Kevin O'Connor that trade was there for the taking as well.

let's just hope Jalen Smith ends up being a solid producer like Cam was last season. If he is, it's a win, even if we could have done more with the asset when Halliburton fell to us.

No it's not a win. It means our GM is terrible and is holding the team back.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My next target after Smith was Precious (20) and Zeke (22). There was not a lot there at 30 other than Bane and Tyrell Terry at (31) who I liked.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's not a win. It means our GM is terrible and is holding the team back.

if he gets us a contributing player from a late lottery pick in an awful draft, that's a win. is it the biggest win ever? No. But jesus... you're acting like another poster here right now.

and this is coming from a major James Jones skeptic.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He probably did not want to risk Jalen being taken between 11-14. If he was that high on Jalen, I suppose it would have been a genuine concern. Obviously Boston was not that high on Bane. They dealt him already.

If there is ONE guy you want, trading back is really dangerous. You have to have multiple players you like.

You cannot tell me any of you really believe some other team was going to take him at 12 or 13 - because that is all we are talking about - Haliburton would have gone 10 and Vassell 11.

It is just suns propaganda to believe he would possibly be gone by 14.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems better to ensure getting the player you want then trade back to pick up the 30th pick.

As is Ty-Shon is probably about as good a prospect as Bane and they got him on a 2 way instead of a fully guaranteed contract.

Even at 14 and 26 I thought Zeke would have been there with the latter pick. That would have been wrong. Zeke went at 22.

If you get cute in the draft, one can lose big time.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if he gets us a contributing player from a late lottery pick in an awful draft, that's a win. is it the biggest win ever? No. But jesus... you're acting like another poster here right now.

Yes. Missing out on Bane is really peanuts. We could pick up Bane somehow if we want.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I know what you mean.

The thing is I can live with bad picks, what I can't stand is removing your ability to make picks simply because you are incompetent.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know over my lifetime I have read stories about coaches and GMs and drafts, and when they have tried to get cute, and then miss out on players they wanted, both moving down or not moving up because it was too high. The gist of all those stories, is they say if the guy you want is available, just pull the trigger and do it. This guys skill set fits our team. We need a PF that can rebound, shot block and play behind the three point line. I think it was a good move. What if we move down and Smith is gone? Then what do you do? Just pick the guy you want and be done with it!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The thing is I can live with bad picks, what I can't stand is removing your ability to make picks simply because you are incompetent.
Getting cute and missing out on the guy you really want is incompetence. What JJ did was playing it really really safe.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting cute and missing out on the guy you really want is incompetence. What JJ did was playing it really really safe.

I guess you have drunk the James Jones Kool Aide.

NOBODY was taking him before 14 except James Jones - that's why everyone says it was a bad pick. All these NBA reporters have contacts with the teams - and nobody is saying that was a good time to take him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

NOBODY was taking him before 14 except James Jones - that's why everyone says it was a bad pick. All these NBA reporters have contacts with the teams - and nobody is saying that was a good time to take him.
So what? The difference between Smith and Haliburton, and really anyone before pick #20 is negligible at best. People are making such a big deal about this being a reach. It's certainly not as big a reach as Cam Johnson was last season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what? The difference between Smith and Haliburton, and really anyone before pick #20 is negligible at best. People are making such a big deal about this being a reach. It's certainly not as big a reach as Cam Johnson was last season.

You don't know that.

There are many late first rounders that turn into starters, and some into all-stars. But as the saying goes you can't win if you don't play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You don't know that.

There are many late first rounders that turn into starters, and some into all-stars. But as the saying goes you can't win if you don't play.
If it's such a crapshoot then, why can't Jalen Smith be one of those guys who turn into all-stars? You can't apply rules to everyone EXCEPT who James Jones drafts, simply because you don't like James Jones.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Except reports have come out after the draft that Smith was very high on multiple team's boards.

It's easy for you to say that because he wasn't very high on most mocks (14th on the last ESPN mock btw) that he was certainly going to be there later, but you have no way to know that.

Even after Cam was picked it came out that at least Detroit (maybe others, but not sure) was very interested in taking Cam and it appeared that he was not going to go as late as people speculated.

It's my understanding that Smith was top 5 on the Suns board and if that is true he was probably easily their top guy remaining and you don't potentially lose that just to pick up pick 30 (which happens to also be the least desirable pick in the draft BTW).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get that. I think he's just still really green as a GM and probably somewhat risk averse to certain things in the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have drafted Tyrell Terry at 30 if I made that Boston trade. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose