2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For comparison to De'Aron Fox.

I don't feel the same way about Lewis as I did Fox but I haven't seen him play in a live game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For comparison to De'Aron Fox.

I don't feel the same way about Lewis as I did Fox but I haven't seen him play in a live game.

Fox was a better passer and decision maker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox was a better passer and decision maker.

Fox's speed was incredible. What first caught my eye, he could get to the rim at will playing for Kentucky.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Cam Johnson not being a flop notwithstanding, I still don't have a lot of confidence James Jones has any more of a clue than McD did. The jury is definitely still out. That's why we're all kvetching over this draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’d do a trade back with Boston but not Dallas. And Aaron Nesmith is Cam Johnson.

If Nesmith is that unathletic, I don't want him. And that means Bane, who is less athletic than Nesmith, is Jimmer Fredette (though I still think the best comparison for Bane is Trajan Langdon).

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
One name that hasn't got a lot of mention by us is Leandro Bolmaro. I was seriously disinterested in watching his film as I don't want to draft ANOTHER wing so why bother watching film. After Kellan mentioned him I relented and decided to give him a shot the other day. I was majorly impressed. Had some "wow" moments watching film.

While I don't think he's superstar material, he is the guy that everyone wants on their team. He goes all out all the time. Incredible defender at 6-7 and probably the best natural passer in the draft. He ran his offense quite a bit overseas and was comfortable in the role. His shooting percentage is troubling, but his shot form isn't. He also is pretty savvy around the basket.

Not sure about his fit here, but I am sure whoever gets him is going to love him. (Spurs are probably all over this guy if they trade back into the 20's.) He is a bit of a reach at #10, but I'll take him over some of the other names being mentioned (Bane or Riller).

A side note: I'm seriously guilty of Prospect Over Exposure. I've seen more film in this draft than in any draft ever... by far. I'm hanging on by a thread maintaining that this draft is weak, but there are a lot of guys I'm starting to like in the teens and 20's. I wonder how many FO's are also struggling with over exposure right now. The extra 6 months of watching film will probably lead to some teams overreacting and overreaching for some of these prospects. The Suns could take advantage of that if the opportunity presents itself.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Lowe of ESPN doesn't think first round picks will be sold but perhaps picks at the end of the first round traded for future first rounders. Second round picks may be a different matter.

From RealGM:

"People are interested to see how the draft unfolds this year in a pandemic where a lot of teams are losing money," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "Like, will some teams sell draft picks? I don't think we'll see a first round pick sold. The fallout from that is so negative with your fanbase. But I do think we'll see teams at the bottom of the first round try to trade for future first rounders to get out of the obligation now, but not sell, sell. Second rounders thought they'll sell."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-Expected-To-Be-Sold-Despite-Drop-In-Revenues

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Nesmith is that unathletic, I don't want him. And that means Bane, who is less athletic than Nesmith, is Jimmer Fredette (though I still think the best comparison for Bane is Trajan Langdon).

He moves better than Cam but he’s not a threat on defense and doesn’t really move the ball. His shooting numbers sample could be a fluke as well. I just can’t see him as a lotto talent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He moves better than Cam but he’s not a threat on defense and doesn’t really move the ball. His shooting numbers sample could be a fluke as well. I just can’t see him as a lotto talent.

I see him (or at least saw him, until you brought up Cam) as a lotto talent a heck of a lot more so than Bane and Riller.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Nesmith’s overall game, but the guy can put the ball in the hoop probably better than anyone else in the draft. With the #10 pick I would like to see us aim higher than a one trick pony though. I wouldn’t hate the pick if we traded back though since I think we need some scoring off the bench.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Nesmith’s overall game, but the guy can put the ball in the hoop probably better than anyone else in the draft. With the #10 pick I would like to see us aim higher than a one trick pony though. I wouldn’t hate the pick if we traded back though since I think we need some scoring off the bench.

This was true for 14 games against terrible competition. Given that sample size I doubt he’s in Jones’ sight.

JerkFace

Reaction score
This was true for 14 games against terrible competition. Given that sample size I doubt he’s in Jones’ sight.
It is a shame he got hurt right when they were getting into the meat of their schedule.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He’ll be a wreck on defense but he’s a kiss-the-rim type athlete:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
He’ll be a wreck on defense but he’s a kiss-the-rim type athlete:

I would say he "could" be a wreck on defense. I think it all depends on his heart and where he goes.

I certainly think he has the God given talent to be elite on D. His athletisicm is off the charts for his size. Defense always seems to come down to heart though. If he puts in the time he could be a force on both ends of the court.

If he gets drafted by the Warriors, I have a strong suspicion that Klay, Draymond, Steph, and Kerr are going to be in his ear DAY 1 about his D. Something tells me he's going to listen to those guys and he'll show strong progression his rookie year. However, if he goes to say, Atlanta, he'll be a highlight reel on O and an absolute joke on D (which no one will really care to notice).

I think the case could be strongly made that if he goes to Phoenix he could also make tremendous strides on D. Monty has shown a deft talent for preaching D to his team and getting them to become believers. Ayton, Oubre, Frank, and even guys like Okobo had great stretches this year of going all in on D. But going a step further, what Booker did was unprecedented. He was easily one of the worst defenders in the league before Monty, but now he's actually good, maybe even great at it. (I honestly never thought that was possible). So there's no reason to believe that Obi would stay a terrible defender if he comes here.

IF he becomes a great defender, he WILL be the best player in this draft.

I'm pretty sure JJ and Monty's unofficial montra is "You can teach a shooter how to defend, but you can't teach a defender how to shoot." They keep proving themselves right with each of their players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would say he "could" be a wreck on defense. I think it all depends on his heart and where he goes.

I certainly think he has the God given talent to be elite on D. His athletisicm is off the charts for his size. Defense always seems to come down to heart though. If he puts in the time he could be a force on both ends of the court.

If he gets drafted by the Warriors, I have a strong suspicion that Klay, Draymond, Steph, and Kerr are going to be in his ear DAY 1 about his D. Something tells me he's going to listen to those guys and he'll show strong progression his rookie year. However, if he goes to say, Atlanta, he'll be a highlight reel on O and an absolute joke on D (which no one will really care to notice).

I think the case could be strongly made that if he goes to Phoenix he could also make tremendous strides on D. Monty has shown a deft talent for preaching D to his team and getting them to become believers. Ayton, Oubre, Frank, and even guys like Okobo had great stretches this year of going all in on D. But going a step further, what Booker did was unprecedented. He was easily one of the worst defenders in the league before Monty, but now he's actually good, maybe even great at it. (I honestly never thought that was possible). So there's no reason to believe that Obi would stay a terrible defender if he comes here.

I'm pretty sure JJ and Monty's unofficial montra is "You can teach a shooter how to defend, but you can't teach a defender how to shoot." They keep proving themselves right with each of their players.

Only if the shooter has the physical tools needed to be able to defend. Toppin certainly does, though. Too bad there is no way he will be available for us...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He’s got Amare-itis where his feet don’t connect to his brain on defense. Ben Simmons was that way at LSU and ended up being an elite defender in the NBA. It’s up to the Suns doing there psychological exams if he’s willing to commit.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree. Toppin is a quite obvious move-up target for the Suns.

His length, athleticism, agility, shooting touch and range make him an excellent fit as a PF or even as small-ball C. He seems far from helpless defensively especially under Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this also on Tyler Bey.

JerkFace

Reaction score

I can’t imagine he was on our board for #10, but just in case, hopefully this removes any and all chances.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can’t imagine he was on our board for #10, but just in case, hopefully this removes any and all chances.

I hope someone on twitter passes this along to Kellan Olson.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr