Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty talks about Suns practice competition in the bubble.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

From Duane Rankin Arizona Republic:

"I'll never forget Dario was kicking all of the bigs butts playing one-on-one against the bigs and Book was on the other end whipping up on the guards," Phoenix Suns coach Monty Williams said. "So we brought them together and to watch Dario try to stop one of the best scorers in the world and the team just rally around him in those type of practices, you knew that we were going to give ourselves a chance to at least compete."

"It was the practices that gave me some confidence about how we could play, but no one knew but God that we would run off eight in a row and that was really fun," Williams said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...competitive-bubble-practices-suns/5940311002/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty talks about Suns practice competition in the bubble.

"I'll never forget Dario was kicking all of the bigs butts playing one-on-one against the bigs and Book was on the other end whipping up on the guards," Phoenix Suns coach Monty Williams said. "So we brought them together and to watch Dario try to stop one of the best scorers in the world and the team just rally around him in those type of practices, you knew that we were going to give ourselves a chance to at least compete."

"It was the practices that gave me some confidence about how we could play, but no one knew but God that we would run off eight in a row and that was really fun," Williams said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...competitive-bubble-practices-suns/5940311002/

I sure hope Bubble Dario is the version we get next season. He was a completely different player in Florida, the one that we could have used all season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I sure hope Bubble Dario is the version we get next season. He was a completely different player in Florida, the one that we could have used all season.

He would need to play the same role then (combo big off the bench).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, Saric is best coming off the bench.

He thrived as a small ball center with the second unit in Orlando alongside Cam Payne and Jevon Carter. Saric received his best match-ups this way. When he starts, his average athleticism becomes more of a problem. Also I think it's true, Saric plays his best basketball later in the season. This is when he really started to shine.

I wouldn't mind if the Suns keep him for the right price but they still need to add defense and athleticism at the 4/5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Saric is best coming off the bench.

He thrived as a small ball center with the second unit in Orlando alongside Cam Payne and Jevon Carter. Saric received his best match-ups this way. When he starts, his average athleticism becomes more of a problem. Also I think it's true, Saric plays his best basketball later in the season. This is when he really started to shine.

I wouldn't mind if the Suns keep him for the right price but they still need to add defense and athleticism at the 4/5.

He thrived in Orlando, starter or not. Actually, he only started one game in the bubble, against OKC, where he went for 16 and 9 despite only playing 23 minutes. Maybe coming off the bench is the best way to use him, I really don't know. But the Dario that was slimmed down and in great condition was one of our best players so IMO it will come down mostly to team fit. Besides Saric, we need plenty of minutes for Cameron and Bridges too so with Oubre's return, we might be looking at some PT issues.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He thrived in Orlando, starter or not. Actually, he only started one game in the bubble, against OKC, where he went for 16 and 9 despite only playing 23 minutes. Maybe coming off the bench is the best way to use him, I really don't know. But the Dario that was slimmed down and in great condition was one of our best players so IMO it will come down mostly to team fit. Besides Saric, we need plenty of minutes for Cameron and Bridges too so with Oubre's return, we might be looking at some PT issues.
Eh you’re talking 96 minutes at both forward position plus maybe 12-15 at the sg slot for bridges. That’s about 110 minutes to be divided between four players. 27-28 minutes. Figure saric and can get slightly less (give them each 23) and that leaves 32 minutes each for bridges and oubre. If they all plays balls out that works.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh you’re talking 96 minutes at both forward position plus maybe 12-15 at the sg slot for bridges. That’s about 110 minutes to be divided between four players. 27-28 minutes. Figure saric and can get slightly less (give them each 23) and that leaves 32 minutes each for bridges and oubre. If they all plays balls out that works.

I guess but that means goodbye to Baynes and Kaminski without us signing or drafting anyone else that could add to the rotation at the 2 through the 5. It's not that I think the minutes will be an unresolvable issue but it seems to me we still need a physical big man that can give us 10-15 minutes a night and keeping Saric and Cameron down to 23 minutes might be a challenge in itself given how much better we played with either of those two out there (bubble games).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess but that means goodbye to Baynes and Kaminski without us signing or drafting anyone else that could add to the rotation at the 2 through the 5. It's not that I think the minutes will be an unresolvable issue but it seems to me we still need a physical big man that can give us 10-15 minutes a night and keeping Saric and Cameron down to 23 minutes might be a challenge in itself given how much better we played with either of those two out there (bubble games).
Still have 12 minutes at backup center to apportion. And as we’ve seen over and over, injuries and suspensions open up minutes all the time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns are going to have to make some salary based decisions. Personally I don't think Kaminsky will be back and I'm thinking Baynes will want to move one. That would free up about $10 million that can be applied towards other players like Saric. I'd like to keep him if possible and then add to the team.

The Suns need to add another guard, depth at the 4/5 and a first round pick as I see it. If the Suns could buy a later first round pick or a second round pick, they could add more talent on a cheaper salary.

I guess the the key question is whether the Suns keep Oubre. I'm hoping they do as it could be argued he is the most athletic player on a team that needs athleticism. His stats are solid as well.

In regard to minutes. Ouchie touched on it. There are always injuries. Last season proved the Suns need more than filler on the tail end of their roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns hire Brandon Spahn as Senior Graphic Designer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They share faith in Christ and how it helps them get through the difficult times.

"We had the best time getting to know Monty better," Cindy Westphal wrote. "Things like learning about his family and what he enjoys doing away from basketball in the off season. We talked about the Suns upcoming season and the great group of guys he gets to coach. And we talked about the faith we share in Christ and how He gets us through difficult times. Thank you, Monty, for how real and down to earth you are. It was an absolute honor to spend time with you today."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ines-warmth-paul-westphals-family/3648419001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This YouTube video covers the Suns wing development.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monty is the most likable head coach the Suns have had in decades, easily. The guy is a true class act.

I was a little envious of all of the top coaches available this offseason but we have a real keeper in Monty here. I hope he's here for a very long time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this tweet on the Kevin Young hire.

His latest opportunity is in Phoenix.

“If there is one thing that’s held true for me in my coaching career is just that,” Young continued. “If you can get lost in what you’re doing, you treat every game like it’s Game 7 of the finals because whether you’re coaching, for me, in the Division III junior college, in lower levels of Europe, in the G League or the NBA, every game, as a competitor, feels like the most important game. That’s something that has always stuck with me.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...joins-phoenix-suns-coaching-staff/5976324002/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty is the most likable head coach the Suns have had in decades, easily. The guy is a true class act.

I was a little envious of all of the top coaches available this offseason but we have a real keeper in Monty here. I hope he's here for a very long time.

In my opinion, the most likeable coach we have ever had, save perhaps Cotton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the most likeable coach we have ever had, save perhaps Cotton.

Cotton was an amazing human being who always found time to talk to everyone. He cemented me as a being a lifelong Suns fan.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

He had a lot of faults, but there was a good 5 or 6 year period where D’Antoni was pretty likable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a lot of faults, but there was a good 5 or 6 year period where D’Antoni was pretty likable.

I liked him his first year, his second year did one of the greatest coaching jobs ever with that Amare-less team that got within 2 games of the Finals, but once he started feeling pressure in that third year, I start3d to loathe him. His constant bitching on the sidelines was embarrassing and I totally blame him for having that team wound so tight that Pop knew how to keep poking them until we exploded. He also became super stubborn about his system that year, and that blew HCA in that Spurs series in Game 1 putting us behind the eight ball. After that I was done with Coach Pringles.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The fanfare for D'Antoni came from the Suns winning. I'm not sure how many people got on his bandwagon because he seemed like a good or likable guy/coach. He was definitely liked for his first couple of seasons though. It seemed the fanbase turned on him before he was out of the door though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The fanfare for D'Antoni came from the Suns winning. I'm not sure how many people got on his bandwagon because he seemed like a good or likable guy/coach. He was definitely liked for his first couple of seasons though. It seemed the fanbase turned on him before he was out of the door though.
Likability isn’t necessarily related to wins and losses. Look at Jeff Hornacek.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose