Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I liked him his first year, his second year did one of the greatest coaching jobs ever with that Amare-less team that got within 2 games of the Finals, but once he started feeling pressure in that third year, I start3d to loathe him. His constant bitching on the sidelines was embarrassing and I totally blame him for having that team wound so tight that Pop knew how to keep poking them until we exploded. He also became super stubborn about his system that year, and that blew HCA in that Spurs series in Game 1 putting us behind the eight ball. After that I was done with Coach Pringles.

I don’t remember his sideline behavior being that bad but the stubbornness was maybe more frustrating than anything I can remember. He couldn’t manage personalities and didn’t have any nurturing qualities to deal with sensitive athletes. It was my way or the highway... Going up against the Spurs at that time were so overmatched from a coaching standpoint. Not only Popovich but they had PJ Carlesimo, Mike Budenholzer and Brett Brown.

That said Mike should have at least a title if it weren’t for bad luck and poor ownership. He would’ve been seen as the greatest coach in valley history with just one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember his sideline behavior being that bad but the stubbornness was maybe more frustrating than anything I can remember. He couldn’t manage personalities and didn’t have any nurturing qualities to deal with sensitive athletes. It was my way or the highway... Going up against the Spurs at that time were so overmatched from a coaching standpoint. Not only Popovich but they had PJ Carlesimo, Mike Budenholzer and Brett Brown.

That said Mike should have at least a title if it weren’t for bad luck and poor ownership. He would’ve been seen as the greatest coach in valley history with just one.

No doubt D'Antoni had coaching flaws but I often wish the Suns had stuck with him and given him more time to grow as a coach.

D'Antoni's style of play was a precursor to today's NBA. With the right owner and GM to guide him, he might have accomplished more.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I just watched: “blah, blah, blah I was a terrible coach.”

He is full of poo anyway.

Booker didn't start until Bledsoe tore his knee up. Before Bledsoe's injury Booker was averaging about 15 minutes a game, he made his first start, literally, the game after Bledsoe went down for the season.

"People thought I was crazy!" Dude acts like he reinvented the wheel when he chose to start Booker over Sonny Weems.

What a bunch of utter bull crap.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky is reportedly not nervous about Suns team option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky is reportedly not nervous about Suns team option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns would be beyond foolish to pick up the team option. This is almost as much of a no-brainer as releasing Okobo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, if they keep Kaminsky over Saric just because he is cheaper, and they don't trade for a starting power forward or sign one as a free agent, then we are back once more to Sarver being penny wise and pound foolish...

I wish. With being "penny wise and pound foolish" there's always a chance your blind squirrel will find an edible nut. Money has always been a factor for Sarver (true for most owners too) but for the first time ever, IMO, every decision this organization makes will be driven almost entirely by short term financial goals.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish. With being "penny wise and pound foolish" there's always a chance your blind squirrel will find an edible nut. Money has always been a factor for Sarver (true for most owners too) but for the first time ever, IMO, every decision this organization makes will be driven almost entirely by short term financial goals.

You must not remember the Kurt Thomas trade...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must not remember the Kurt Thomas trade...

I don't get the connection? It doesn't challenge or refute a single aspect of my post. He has made decisions that were driven by the bottom line before, I just believe we are looking at a period here where EVERY decision he makes will not only be financially driven but viewed through a short term perspective. IOW, if you thought he was cheap before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get the connection? It doesn't challenge or refute a single aspect of my post. He has made decisions that were driven by the bottom line before, I just believe we are looking at a period here where EVERY decision he makes will not only be financially driven but viewed through a short term perspective. IOW, if you thought he was cheap before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

When the Kurt Thomas trade was made, every decision was only driven from a short term financial perspective, as the Kurt Thomas trade illustrated. They gave up a first round pick just to save a year of salary. They were also selling off their own first round picks at the time. It is a big reason, in addition to total mismanagement because Sarver wouldn't pay Kerr to stick around, that the bottom fell out last decade. If we are returning to that, this franchise is toast.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was a period after selling draft picks (Gortat) and the Kurt Thomas trade where Sarver didn't seem as consumed with saving money. Do you think the selling of their G-league franchise starts a new era of thriftiness for the Sun?

I guess I could answer this for you but I like the conversation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a period after selling draft picks (Gortat) and the Kurt Thomas trade where Sarver didn't seem as consumed with saving money. Do you think the selling of their G-league franchise starts a new era of thriftiness for the Sun?

Thanks to a very generous national TV contract, this franchise has been making good money for a few years and when that's the case, Sarver has shown himself willing to spend. He really does want to win and he knows that's the best thing for the bottom line in the long run. But he really, really, really does not want to lose money. He's proven he will sacrifice wins for the bottom line when he deems it necessary and IMO, with the loss of so much revenue and the increased covid related costs, it is now necessary.

I think dismantling this team (aka trading Booker) is the last thing he wants to do but I would not put anything past him right now, I think the financial situation is that dire. The best we can hope for is either a very quick return to pre-CVD19 normalcy or a very rich buyer. Obviously, that's all JMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to a very generous national TV contract, this franchise has been making good money for a few years and when that's the case, Sarver has shown himself willing to spend. He really does want to win and he knows that's the best thing for the bottom line in the long run. But he really, really, really does not want to lose money. He's proven he will sacrifice wins for the bottom line when he deems it necessary and IMO, with the loss of so much revenue and the increased covid related costs, it is now necessary.

I think dismantling this team (aka trading Booker) is the last thing he wants to do but I would not put anything past him right now, I think the financial situation is that dire. The best we can hope for is either a very quick return to pre-CVD19 normalcy or a very rich buyer. Obviously, that's all JMO.

I'm hoping the NBA will subsidize or spread out losses over a number of years so teams and players don't feel the pinch as much. The NFL did something like this. If the Suns do not make the moves necessary to make the Suns a playoff team this season, I think we will hear the dreaded talk Booker wants out next summer if not earlier.

If I were Sarver (obviously I'm not), I would be a buyer this summer with money tight and hope to recoup the money later. Sort of like buying stock when it's low. I'm not expecting this though. I'm not allowing myself the fantasy of Sarver selling the team which would be the optimal solution. My fear is the Suns will trade Oubre for a draft pick in a cash dump. Some fans may not view it for what it is.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Well they didn’t guarantee Amare’s contract offer and ended up signing Childress and Warrick for less than Amare’s insured deal would’ve been.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well they didn’t guarantee Amare’s contract offer and ended up signing Childress and Warrick for less than Amare’s insured deal would’ve been.

Those are some bad memories. As I recall Turkoglu was a replacement piece as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose