Bill Davis (LBs Coach) - Can He Develop Young Talent?

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
At 83, I learn something new, everyday.

Wow that's terrific.

Hopefully at 84 you learn how to respect other people's opinions that may not align with your own. That would be a good start.

Or better yet - maybe learn to not jokingly prescribe meds to people just because they may think differently than you. Not only is it extremely offensive to anyone that actually has some sort of mental illness - but its even more offensive for how uncreative and unfunny it is. If you're gonna say something offensive - at least be funny.

Is scandalous, Browning's agent? If so, congrats, and good luck getting Browning's image out of your head. Some meds might help.

Disgraceful.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
No history of success? He has coached some good LB groups, but he hasn't had a young high pick to groom ever.

Obviously "no history of success" is a bit harsh & extreme - but you acting like he has this long resume with achievement after achievement is just as ridiculous.

You are also admitting that he has zero experience developing "young high picks". So what makes you think that he would be good at it? He has legit no track record for successfully developing young talented LBs (that have been highly invested in). The closest thing he has to working with young talented LBs was his time at Ohio State. Nobody is going to tell you that he did a good job there - besides maybe himself. He had a room filled with future high end NFL talent, and managed to produce at the worst statistical level in recent Ohio State history.

You either don't understand the longevity of a position coach in the NFL or you are purposefully misconstruing his resume. He averaged two years because his head coach was FIRED, which for 95% of position coaches that means they are fired too.

He keeps getting hired, got multiple coordinator jobs from coaches from multiple coaching trees.

Fair points. A lot of good coaches bounce around. It happens.

But you know - there's a lot of bad coaches that continuously get recycled. I've seen you burying Vance Joseph repeatedly in other threads for being terrible. He has had more coaching success than your boy Billy Davis. I guarantee you he will have another job waiting for him the moment he leaves Arizona.

Again - I've never once said that Bill Davis doesn't know football or is completely unqualified to be where he is today. What I have been saying is that his track record continuously shows that he is a poor teacher. I have no doubts that he can ramble on about the philosophy of defensive schemes and whatever and show you just how smart he is and how much he knows. But unfortunately, if you can't frame it up in a way where a 22 year old with little experience not only understands it, but can also apply it on the field - then you're going to make a lousy position coach.

Yeah were going to assume Browning was talking about Davis and that automatically makes him terrible even though Browning admits he stopped grinding.

You're missing the point here. It's a coach's job to do whatever it takes to get the best out of his players. If Browning did in fact "stop grinding" - when do we look at the coach? If you have a child who is struggling in school, do you just dismiss him for being naturally lazy - or do you maybe look at the parents?

And it's not like it was just Browning that was underachieving during that time. The entire LB room at Ohio State was a disaster. A lot of the guys that were in that room are now productive players in the NFL. Was that whole room lazy too? And why did their production pick up drastically the year after Billy Davis was let go? Was that just a coincidence too?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The word "dope" was used because, when used in a sarcastic manner, feels extremely condescending to me. That was my goal.

2. There are not that many things more cringey to me than people who go out of their way to discuss / keep up with popular lingo. It reminds me of when corporate twitter accounts try to keep up with the trends. The worst.

3. Kids are going to do & say stupid things - but I'd rather my kids learn how to think for themselves and say whatever they want to say, given that it's harmless and not disrespectful. You shouldn't force lingo onto somebody - especially kids. That is - unless you want children that have the collective charisma of a rock.
Yolo

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just cut a promo attacking the use of the word “ratchet”. You literally defended a tool.

Quit trying to hijack the thread.

Highkey salty

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Highkey salty

Oh no doubt I’m salty.

You have the nerve to mock what words people use, only to pivot into your take on why we should respect “ratchets” because they’re “one of the most useful tools we can find”

Make sure you stick that take in your back pocket for later lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no doubt I’m salty.

You have the nerve to mock what words people use, only to pivot into your take on why we should respect “ratchets” because they’re “one of the most useful tools we can find”

Make sure you stick that take in your back pocket for later lol
I'm simply enjoying how offended you are about people discussing lingo. You should make signs and start a twitter campaign. I'm excited to say something that is actually offensive and watch a vein pop out of your head. Speaking of meds, you should try a chill pill. It may unbunch your undergarments.

Im happy to respond to more of your quotes, it's a good time passing activity. Try not to overtrigger yourself.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes. Ratchet tools are amazing. They get me in the feels.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm simply enjoying how offended you are about people discussing lingo. You should make signs and start a twitter campaign. I'm excited to say something that is actually offensive and watch a vein pop out of your head. Speaking of meds, you should try a chill pill. It may unbunch your undergarments.

Im happy to respond to more of your quotes, it's a good time passing activity. Try not to overtrigger yourself.

Did you not say that you want to slap your kids for some of the things they say?

You tried to be funny, and it fell flat. Why can’t I participate in burying you without being “triggered”? Maybe I get enjoyment out of doing that. It’s also a great time passing activity.

And it’s not my fault I’m “getting offended” over your terrible dad jokes.

They’re offensive.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you not say that you want to slap your kids for some of the things they say?

You tried to be funny, and it fell flat. Why can’t I participate in burying you without being “triggered”? Maybe I get enjoyment out of doing that. It’s also a great time passing activity.

And it’s not my fault I’m “getting offended” over your terrible dad jokes.

They’re offensive.

You obviously struggle with sarcasm. Maybe stop being so serious, it'll help. Not too concerned with if you find anything I say humorous or offensive. You @'d me or I'd have never addressed your tirade.

"Burying me"

Lol. I'm so ashamed.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
You obviously struggle with sarcasm

I don't struggle with sarcasm. It just wasn't good sarcasm. And you were doing it in an attempt to mock me. So yeah - I took offense.

Maybe stop being so serious, it'll help.

Says the 37-year old dad who is lecturing me on how to act on a message board. Yeah - it's definitely me that is being so serious lol

Not too concerned with if you find anything I say humorous or offensive. You @'d me or I'd have never addressed your tirade.

You literally quoted me and said "yolo". And then you did it again and said "lit". That's the definition of @-ing me.

And I'm glad you don't care whether I find you funny or offensive. Again - your attempts at humor were probably the most offensive things you said.

I'd be legit concerned if you were trying to impress anyone. Yikes.

"Burying me"

Lol. I'm so ashamed.

Hey man - you're the one that keeps responding in attempts to defend yourself. I created this thread. Nobody is making you stay here. Trust me lol.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't struggle with sarcasm. It just wasn't good sarcasm. And you were doing it in an attempt to mock me. So yeah - I took offense.

Says the 37-year old dad who is lecturing me on how to act on a message board. Yeah - it's definitely me that is being so serious lol

You literally quoted me and said "yolo". And then you did it again and said "lit". That's the definition of @-ing me.

And I'm glad you don't care whether I find you funny or offensive. Again - your attempts at humor were probably the most offensive things you said.

I'd be legit concerned if you were trying to impress anyone. Yikes.

Hey man - you're the one that keeps responding in attempts to defend yourself. I created this thread. Nobody is making you stay here. Trust me lol.

I only quoted in reply to you quoting me originally if you notice.

Do you join forums solely to try to start petty arguments over nonsense?

I never mocked you until you quoted me getting offended about lingo you like and how I think it's silly. Until then, nothing I said had anything to do with you and was simply in response to others stating dope is what kids say nowadays. I was unaware of who you even were. Nothing is revolving around you except yourself.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure. Show we a coach who's considered to be good by the league that has a 7/20 record. I'll wait.

Let me put it another way. There's a reason no good HC's pick him up as a position coach and he's stuck with them. There's a reason guys like Chip Kelly, Kliff, Whiz etc hired him. It's because they had nobody else to hire.

That Dan Reeves was an awful coach. So was Urban Meyer.

You make some ridiculous arguments that are easily refuted sometimes.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score

Yeahhhhh Urban Meyer is a terrible example here.

Sure on paper it is perfect for your narrative - but Billy Davis was the best man in Urban Meyer's wedding back in the day. (No I am not making that up)

I think (actually I know) that that hire had a lot more to do with helping out a lifelong friend than it did finding the best possible LB coach. Urban has a track record of being a little too loyal to friends/coaches. Billy Davis was the posterboy for that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As Scandalous says, Urban Meyer wasn't on merit.

And Dan Reeves is a stretch. It was at the tail end of Reeves career. It was Davis's first role as a senior position group coach, previously he was an assistant. It wasn't like Davies was hired on a track record of success.

Don Blackmon, the existing linebackers coach for the Falcons was promoted to DC. He was still overseeing the LB room, he just needed a warm body to handle the daily grind.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Obviously "no history of success" is a bit harsh & extreme - but you acting like he has this long resume with achievement after achievement is just as ridiculous.

You are also admitting that he has zero experience developing "young high picks". So what makes you think that he would be good at it? He has legit no track record for successfully developing young talented LBs (that have been highly invested in). The closest thing he has to working with young talented LBs was his time at Ohio State. Nobody is going to tell you that he did a good job there - besides maybe himself. He had a room filled with future high end NFL talent, and managed to produce at the worst statistical level in recent Ohio State history.

"Admitting". It's called a careful examination by looking at his record. I have no dog in this fight; I'm not a pro-Davis or anti-Davis guy. I just can't sit back and read awful arguments without responding.

You do realize that a lot of what you see on the field on a Saturday or a Sunday is on the coordinators right? You use the fact that the linebackers played better as an indictment against Davis, but you clearly are cherry picking what facts/opinions from the article you want to go with.

The Buckeyes ALSO changed defensive coordinators, and the article CLEARLY states that the new coordinator ran a much less complex defense that allowed the linebackers to think less. Maybe that has something to do with the linebackers playing better? Maybe? But that doesn't fit your narrative so you don't even address that.

Fair points. A lot of good coaches bounce around. It happens.

But you know - there's a lot of bad coaches that continuously get recycled. I've seen you burying Vance Joseph repeatedly in other threads for being terrible. He has had more coaching success than your boy Billy Davis. I guarantee you he will have another job waiting for him the moment he leaves Arizona.

Again - I've never once said that Bill Davis doesn't know football or is completely unqualified to be where he is today. What I have been saying is that his track record continuously shows that he is a poor teacher. I have no doubts that he can ramble on about the philosophy of defensive schemes and whatever and show you just how smart he is and how much he knows. But unfortunately, if you can't frame it up in a way where a 22 year old with little experience not only understands it, but can also apply it on the field - then you're going to make a lousy position coach.

You haven't demonstrated that he is a poor teacher....at all. Not even a little bit. Not once. You have demonstrated that Ohio State's defense got better, but I would say that the guy who actually calls the plays improved. That's a variable that's pretty big that you basically bury because it undermines your simple, poorly thought out argument. Just like how you post the article about Browning where he essentially said he was being pushed by daddy for years and once daddy was around he got a little lazier. His words, not mine.

You're missing the point here. It's a coach's job to do whatever it takes to get the best out of his players. If Browning did in fact "stop grinding" - when do we look at the coach? If you have a child who is struggling in school, do you just dismiss him for being naturally lazy - or do you maybe look at the parents?

No, I think you are missing the point while you cherry pick data to fit your argument. So this is what happened, and this is all factual so it's not really disputable: The Ohio State defense was lousy even with all these five star recruits in 2018. Todd Day fires the DC and some of the assistants. The new DC installs a simpler, less complex defense and the players play much better. You can assume that Davis was the root cause, but this is a stretch because the article specifically states that the new defense was easier to run and the players thrived in it.

And it's not like it was just Browning that was underachieving during that time. The entire LB room at Ohio State was a disaster. A lot of the guys that were in that room are now productive players in the NFL. Was that whole room lazy too? And why did their production pick up drastically the year after Billy Davis was let go? Was that just a coincidence too?

Laziness may have been Browning's issue, and he clearly stated that he wasn't grinding that year. But the rest of the room clearly got better, because again, as the article stated and you clearly haven't addressed, there was a new coordinator! The good position coaches can teach technique all day long, but if the coordinator is playing a spaghetti on the wall defense, the players are never going to do anything well.

Just like @Chopper0080 stated in another thread in regards to player rankings, there are clearly elite position coaches, there are clearly terrible position coaches, but the ones in the middle are HIGHLY debateable. The fact that so many different teams and coaches have hired Davis over the years means he at least has a pretty good reputation. Is he a top LB coach? Probably not, but to pin the problems at Ohio State on him is complete disingenuous and academically lazy when you consider that the guy who actually calls the defense on game days changed. The current Cardinals defensive problems are NOT linked to Davis. They are linked to the actually defensive coordinator calling a crap game. I would argue that the Cardinals LBs are a strength right now. Does Bill Davis get credit for that? Is it personnel?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As Scandalous says, Urban Meyer wasn't on merit.

And Dan Reeves is a stretch. It was at the tail end of Reeves career. It was Davis's first role as a senior position group coach, previously he was an assistant. It wasn't like Davies was hired on a track record of success.

Don Blackmon, the existing linebackers coach for the Falcons was promoted to DC. He was still overseeing the LB room, he just needed a warm body to handle the daily grind.

It doesn't change how ridiculously stupid your argument is.

Position coaches get caught on losing teams all of the time. The actual talent matters as well. In his previous time with the Cardinals, the LBs played very well. Is that a function of talent or his coaching ability? Who knows.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't change how ridiculously stupid your argument is.

Position coaches get caught on losing teams all of the time. The actual talent matters as well. In his previous time with the Cardinals, the LBs played very well. Is that a function of talent or his coaching ability? Who knows.

Of course position coaches get stuck on losing teams all the time but that wasn't my point. My point was GOOD position coaches don't get stuck on losing teams all the time.

Look, I said earlier in this thread. This is just my opinion. You have yours. Neither of us know which is correct and likely never will.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Of course position coaches get stuck on losing teams all the time but that wasn't my point. My point was GOOD position coaches don't get stuck on losing teams all the time.

Look, I said earlier in this thread. This is just my opinion. You have yours. Neither of us know which is correct and likely never will.

But he wasn't on losing teams ALL THE TIME. That's just not true.

And I agree that neither of us really know, which is why this thread is so ridiculous. I'm not going to draw sweeping conclusions based on complex circumstances with many different variables.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media