What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again..these are the same arguments that have been posted on this board for years when it comes to the organization botching the draft or the implementation of those players drafted. If this was the first occurrence, I would find your arguement more valid.

Oh no, I havent been posting here for years!! I must have no idea that the cards org has missed on draft picks and misused players.

... your petty comments don't change reality. Its week 2 and your take is a steaming pile of shiiii. put your feet up and RELAX. we're 2-0 brotha.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oh no, I havent been posting here for years!! I must have no idea that the cards org has missed on draft picks and misused players.

... your petty comments don't change reality. Its week 2 and your take is a steaming pile of shiiii. put your feet up and RELAX. we're 2-0 brotha.
I typed up a post that highlighted 15 positives to walk away from the win...I am relaxed. That being said, just because things are going well doesn't mean everything is going well. A critical take on one area doesn't translate to unhappiness or anger or anything else. I can be a great parent but let my kids run across busy streets, and just because they don't get hit, it doesn't make it ok. You can have good results despite a bad process. In this case, every player Keim has drafted high and had them change roles has struggled...

Deone to ILB - struggled (this one might be a reach as Deone had his best season in 2015)
Humphries to RT - struggled
Reddick to ILB - struggled
Baker at SS/NB - struggled
Isabella to outside WR (despite struggling vs press cov) - struggled
Simmons - struggling

... maybe when looking at that history the steaming pile take is in not seeing a pattern. :shrug:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess we will see if anything changes this week vs the Lions. Hopefully we can start seeing Simmons on the field.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think the board is jaded by our history of moving high picks to different positions. The goal is to have Simmons be our Will but we have a guy who is playing exceptional defense playing ahead of him. I see this as a luxury.

As far as working him in as a pass rusher and safety, I feel it’s an unfair expectation for that to occur with no camp and Vance being a league average coordinator.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simmons and Chinn were both considered freak athletes/jack of all trades kind of guys predraft right?

He's made some assignment mistakes. Part of it is because they are using him all over the place so he's taking on a lot.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I actually believe we have the talent to cover for Simmons (again not down on him...thats just something I never thought I'd have to say)

No reason he shouldnt get a 3rd of the snaps on the field. We're not so bad where he would kill us and we're not so loaded that we couldnt use that speed on the field.

We've got Dak, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Cam Newton, Daniel Jones (he's athletic) coming up. Ideally the thought is Simmons speed could negate some of these mobile QBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons and Chinn were both considered freak athletes/jack of all trades kind of guys predraft right?

He's made some assignment mistakes. Part of it is because they are using him all over the place so he's taking on a lot.

I actually believe we have the talent to cover for Simmons (again not down on him...thats just something I never thought I'd have to say)

No reason he shouldnt get a 3rd of the snaps on the field. We're not so bad where he would kill us and we're not so loaded that we couldnt use that speed on the field.

We've got Dak, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Cam Newton, Daniel Jones (he's athletic) coming up. Ideally the thought is Simmons speed could negate some of these mobile QBs.
Yup. Very comparable to Simmons in terms of his athletic ability to do multiple things. Nice project at 64 for the Panthers.

He came from a small school so it is impressive that he has come in and is playing almost 100% of snaps. He hasn't been great, but is getting some nice hands-on learning.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Ok. This is for the week 1 & no preseason crowd.

Chase Young had 1.5 sacks with no preseason.

Derrick Brown had a TFL and kocked a pass down.

CJ Henderson had a pick and three passes defensed.

You could even argue that Jeff Okudah didn't have as bad of a day because he didn't give up two TDs.

Simmons had an awful day for a top 10, non-QB pick. It probably couldn't have been worse. That is a fact. The lack of offseason and preseason is not a viable excuse because I have cited other dudes in the same situation who didn't crap the bed. I would argue that it isn't his fault because he isn't being used like he as in college. If he was being used like he was in college, it would be much more concerning.

Like Harry says, it is too early to define his career and guys develop at different rates, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning or isn't a little concerning.

Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. here is piece on Brown and his troubles.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...-better/ar-BB19mnIb?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=DELLDHP17

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man, we are talking about analyzing the play of the team, players and the actions of the front office. If you just wanna out your feet up and relax, do so. No ones stopping you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
According to this...Simmons is the worst rated 1st round pick. Awesome.
It's not wrong. Here is the list of 1st rounders last year with under 40 snaps played through two weeks.

Tua Tagovailoa - QB
Isaiah Simmons - LB
Cesar Ruiz - OL
Jordan Love - QB
Jordyn Brooks - LB
Isaiah Wilson - OL

...and Simmons had a negative impact in those snaps so probably why he is rated worse than players who haven't played.

OP
OP
C

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At this stage he is on the same level of UDFA project pick with nothing but negative plays.

Is there honestly any hope? It's like Max Hall in his rookie year throwing pick 6 after 6 pick

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At this stage he is on the same level of UDFA project pick with nothing but negative plays.

Is there honestly any hope? It's like Max Hall in his rookie year throwing pick 6 after 6 pick
He hasn't had only negative plays. He's had a few negative plays and yet has been on the field for like 30 snaps. He also had some good coverage against Kittle when we played the 49ers.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you can't see the problem of a 1st round pick unable to start due to a reason. Other than injury than its hopeless

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you can't see the problem of a 1st round pick unable to start due to a reason. Other than injury than its hopeless
Its not good. Although it is rather early.

I'll just say thank goodness Kelvin Beachum is playing well at OT. Cause it seems all of the top tackles are playing solid.
Cause if not people would really flip.

Just like with LB. As long as Campbell keeps playing great it buys people patience.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I've read too much good about him on here from his college play and character and hard work to give up on him after two games.

SMH!!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is listed on the active roster this sun? Cards should try him at saftey atleast few play granted hope he pans out at lber more lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keim says while they are fortunate to have good play while Simmons learns..

"He's only going to get better by playing"

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just wrong.

Chris Banjo is starting while our top 10 pick is getting less than 10 snaps.

When that's happening you know you did something wrong.