Hopkins, Cards agree to extension

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From my understanding the cap is expected to decrease by $23 mil per team next season.

That could create lots of vets getting cut next year, including our Redbirds

My guess is a bunch of guys will renegotiate. Hopkins deal will have it built in like Budda's.

So I expect it to be something like $23 per year over 5 years, but next year will be something like $15m and the rest will be split over the remaining years.

Our main ones for next year is CJ, who they can extend and restructure.

P2 new deal if they go that way.

Justin Pugh, who again could be extended and restructured.

Alford, who's almost certain will be cut but I think they renegotiate his deal and he stays for a highly reduced amount.

Then on to FA's,

I expect Larry to play again but hopefully not for $11m

Sweezy will walk. Gaillard or other to replace.

Drake will walk unless he has a stupid season. I think they are happy for Edmonds to be RB1.

Peters will walk for Fotu.

There are no other major FA's apart from possibly Kirkpatrick if he plays well.

We will be ok if the young guys progress. But next years SB may well come down to who has the best rookie contract players.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he is going to take over 22 year when the cap next is expected to be significantly decreased

Why Those players cant stay fine with their contract and why demanding a new contract when they have already a multi million contract with 3 years remaining

Personally I would pay just the qb with that money

I haven't seen the best WR's winning a title in the NFL

The Julius Jones, the Megatron....

36 mil a year for the WR unit is a stupid usage of the salary cap

What future with this, losing good players and having lot of dead money

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he is going to take over 22 year when the cap next is expected to be significantly decreased

Why Those players cant stay fine with their contract and why demanding a new contract when they have already a multi million contract with 3 years remaining

Personally I would pay just the qb with that money

I haven't seen the best WR's winning a title in the NFL

The Julius Jones, the Megatron....

36 mil a year for the WR unit is a stupid usage of the salary cap

What future with this, losing good players and having lot of dead money
Tyreek Hill just won a title.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not gonna lie

Not big on paying this sort of money for a wr

Out of all the skilled position , I think it's the least valuable when it comes to winning a superbowl.

And with this offense, you just need wrs who can catch and run routes

Investing heavy in wrs is a fools errand

I would have preferred ceedee lamb in the draft but what do I know.

And also keep in mind, the Cardinals are horrible drafting. So there is no room for error

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m alright paying core players. There has been an awful lot of players being signed for big dollars in spite of the world health situation.

The thing to remember is today’s deals will be a bargain in a couple of years provided the players produce and stay healthy.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I’m alright paying core players. There has been an awful lot of players being signed for big dollars in spite of the world health situation.

The thing to remember is today’s deals will be a bargain in a couple of years provided the players produce and stay healthy.
. I never buy the “it will be a bargain in a couple years” argument. The problem is that as soon as it becomes a bargain, Hopkins will demand a raise to put him as the top paid receiver again

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2018 Cardinals fans: Our WR's suck. Rosen has no chance with who he has to throw too.

2019 Cardinals fans: Kyler is great, now we just need to give him the tools to succeed.

2020 Cardinals fans: Why are we extending Hopkins? It's too much money. WR's are overrated.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2018 Cardinals fans: Our WR's suck. Rosen has no chance with who he has to throw too.

2019 Cardinals fans: Kyler is great, now we just need to give him the tools to succeed.

2020 Cardinals fans: Why are we extending Hopkins? It's too much money. WR's are overrated.

thats pretty much this board in a nut shell

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No
Hopkins is a game changer, I can understand paying him 23mil a year while your franchise qb is in his rookie contract
Just questioning why a player with multimillion contract and 3 years left ask for a bigger salary
Then if u pay him 23, u can't give 11 mil to Fitzgerald
Is a really bad usage of the salary

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Good move! Commits to him long term using a portion of the money no longer needed for Larry in a year or two. A very good sign
he wants to be in the desert for the long term.

Kudos to Keim and Michael for getting done, assuming it is getting done.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Larry will play till he gets the receptions record.

hot take: Larry owes the organization as we've overpaid him the last few years and he knows it. His next few 1 year deals will be much more team friendly for his production (which I think will still be solid).

ap11

Rookie
Reaction score
From Rappaprort

Sources: The #AZCardinals are making star WR DeAndre Hopkins the highest paid non-QB ever, giving him a 2-year contract extension worth $54.5M in new money -- $27.25M per year. Hopkins, who did the deal himself, gets $42.75M guaranteed at signing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Rappaprort

Sources: The #AZCardinals are making star WR DeAndre Hopkins the highest paid non-QB ever, giving him a 2-year contract extension worth $54.5M in new money -- $27.25M per year. Hopkins, who did the deal himself, gets $42.75M guaranteed at signing.

Gulp.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Larry will play till he gets the receptions record.

hot take: Larry owes the organization as we've overpaid him the last few years and he knows it. His next few 1 year deals will be much more team friendly for his production (which I think will still be solid).
I love Larry but I don’t think he will take less than 11m.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
From Rappaprort

That's a big chunk of coin right there. So now we have locked up for what, 5 more years?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No
Hopkins is a game changer, I can understand paying him 23mil a year while your franchise qb is in his rookie contract
Just questioning why a player with multimillion contract and 3 years left ask for a bigger salary
Then if u pay him 23, u can't give 11 mil to Fitzgerald
Is a really bad usage of the salary

paying Fitzgerald at this stage in his career 11 million dollars is a bigger crime.

it’s because he’s underpaid now, so you do right by him and pay him what he’s worth. He’s out performed his contract. Teams and fans have no problem at all cutting a guy or just dragging him when he doesn’t live up to his contract(just look at the guy we traded to get Hopkins)

you can’t have it both ways.

you have by all accounts a stud QB on a rookie contract now is 100% the time to pay big time players

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't let the numbers scare you.

Because we had DHop on a pretty cheap 3 year deal, the extension had to be big to make up for that.

We now have Hopkins for 5 years / 94.5 million total.

Thats 18.8 million average per year for an elite WR. That's a discount.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92