Hopkins, Cards agree to extension

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No 2-3 more years he will demand another contract! The precident has been set.

Listen, he’s a helluva player & well worth his going rate. I just hate that him, others can do the exact same thing again, this holding the franchise hostage. I don’t like it.

What if Kyler has an outstanding year, demands a huge deal next season, then says pay me or I’m sitting.

How is he holding a franchise hostage that knew an improved contract was part of the trade?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this allows Larry to play up to 2 more years, after this one.

We can't afford him after this year. I know he's a legend for the franchise and all - but with our upcoming cap situation - he has to be paid equivalent with his performance.

I am fully expecting this to be his last season.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure he was the last one, but then Whiz got involved and pissed off Q if I remember right. Looking back, I wish we could’ve got that deal done. He should’ve been a Card for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen! Boldin was great and deserved better from the Cardinals

I wished he was a with the team for his entire career. At least he got a Super Bowl ring.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An extra 5.5 this year? didn't we already have 7mm roughly available? Pat P may be coming soon.

It probably is - but that scares me a bit. Corners go off a cliff fast, I really don't want to do a long term deal with him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
By negotiating his own contract, Hopkins had $1.65 million to play with that would have gone to an agent. Agents are prohibited from taking more than 3% of the contract amount as a fee in the NFL, however any endorsement contracts they get the layer is worth 10-20% of those contracts.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry will play till he gets the receptions record.

hot take: Larry owes the organization as we've overpaid him the last few years and he knows it. His next few 1 year deals will be much more team friendly for his production (which I think will still be solid).

:biglaugh:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why you added “still” like it’s unpopular.

He absolutely should be by 500 miles.

Over twitter and around here I see Peterson as the one brought up the majority of the time.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amen! Boldin was great and deserved better from the Cardinals

I wished he was a with the team for his entire career. At least he got a Super Bowl ring.

He wanted FITZ money and, if I remember correctly, settled in Baltimore for relatively the same amount the Cards had on the table.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Over twitter and around here I see Peterson as the one brought up the majority of the time.

Jones has two years left and Peterson has one. In a vacuum, Jones would be the priority.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Before people freak out...averages 18.8 mil over the next 5 years.

Hilarious to see the OMG posts about this deal. Absolute highway robbery for Keim. He was expected to get Julio or better money and Julio is 22.5 AAV.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No 2-3 more years he will demand another contract! The precident has been set.

Listen, he’s a helluva player & well worth his going rate. I just hate that him, others can do the exact same thing again, this holding the franchise hostage. I don’t like it.

What if Kyler has an outstanding year, demands a huge deal next season, then says pay me or I’m sitting.

Uh, in 2-3 years we will know if he’s worth it. In the meantime we get him at 4.5 AAV below market price. BIG WIN for AZ

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Feel like Pat should be next up. He hits FA a year before CJ, and he’s much more likely to depress trade value by lack of effort than CJ.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another extension option is Dan Arnold. I said it in another post, but he is built very similarly to Hakeem Butler who they drafted in the 4th round. Now that Butler is gone, I wonder if they look to extend Arnold a couple years and potentially get ahead of his production.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Jones has two years left and Peterson has one. In a vacuum, Jones would be the priority.
Yep. And if Peterson hits the market at the end of this year, the price is going to be astronomical. Someone will pay him.

Obviously it doesn't have to happen today, but if he comes out and looks strong in the first 4-6 games of the season, that's my priority.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m fine with the contract, but not with pushing even more money down the line when there was cap space now to absorb some of this. I guess we’re 13.5 million under the cap now... hope that money is eaten up by an extension to Jones. Otherwise it looks like we’re backloading salary... at the point where Kyler’s next contract will be enormous.

and count me as very leery of giving PP an extension after looking like crap in 2 of the last 3 seasons with the only season he looked good coming when he took PEDs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting hard to not get excited. I still have this nagging feeling 4 games in we'll have all sorts of Covid issues in the NFL but right now it's pretty exciting.

Game Thur night, us on tv sunday against the 49ers, D Hop locked up in a new deal this is certainly looking good right now