Budda Baker getting paid

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only thing stopping Budda from being the best is Budda himself. The physical talent is there. He's an easy guy to root for, but dammit, the Niners game at home and the Giants game last year were 2 blatant exercises in hat throwing for me, and I'm praying that l won't see that type of play from him now that he's been paid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was wondering at this price wouldn't it have been better to just keep TM? How does Budda's game compare to TM?

People often compare them but I don't see it.

Badger is better in coverage. Budda is quicker and a much better tackler. Budda prefers FS. Badger is very much a box/slot guy.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Badger is better in coverage. Budda is quicker and a much better tackler. Budda prefers FS. Badger is very much a box/slot guy.
Badger if it wasn't for the 2acl tear was the best player of our defense, was simply amazing
I still remember the play were he saved a touchdown at 1yard line forcing the fumble with a punch while running at full speed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Badger if it wasn't for the 2acl tear was the best player of our defense, was simply amazing
I still remember the play were he saved a touchdown at 1yard line forcing the fumble with a punch while running at full speed

He was amazing. He still is to some degree. I just don't see them as similar players unless you count size and position.

Every talking head says "he's like Tyrann Matthieu" for every safety that can play in the box, cover and move round a bit. As if Tyrann Matthieu invented playing like that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Budda stinks in coverage. If he prefers FS, he’s playing to his weakness. He’s a more physical TM who is better playing close to the line but doesn’t make game-changing plays.
TM was and is a great tackler who specialized in going for the strip because it changes games. Budda is a better tackler on the guys who received a pass over him for the first down.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering at this price wouldn't it have been better to just keep TM? How does Budda's game compare to TM?
TM was hurt throughout his contract and we offered him more money than Houston STILL and he left. Doesn't matter.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budda stinks in coverage. If he prefers FS, he’s playing to his weakness. He’s a more physical TM who is better playing close to the line but doesn’t make game-changing plays.
TM was and is a great tackler who specialized in going for the strip because it changes games. Budda is a better tackler on the guys who received a pass over him for the first down.
This.

Reaction score

It's weird that the coaches & players & even the team for that matter think he's a damn good player but some on the board think he's average at best.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's weird that the coaches & players & even the team for that matter think he's a damn good player but some on the board think he's average at best.

The coaches, other players in the league, clearly don't have the knowledge and critical thinking skills of fans on message boards.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His ability to cover and make plays in pass defense and create TOs speaks for itself. If you can’t see it you choose to be blind. he’s simply awful at it and the stats back it up. Watching him regularly get burned and have a QB rating when throwing his way league wide of 115 is all you need to know...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His ability to cover and make plays in pass defense and create TOs speaks for itself. If you can’t see it you choose to be blind. he’s simply awful at it and the stats back it up. Watching him regularly get burned and have a QB rating when throwing his way league wide of 115 is all you need to know...
This.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
TM was hurt throughout his contract and we offered him more money than Houston STILL and he left. Doesn't matter.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
There is something else about Tyrann Mathieu, which always baffled me. In the beginning, he was the best tackler this team ever had, his technique was perfect and then his last few seasons with us he became one of our worst tacklers I have ever seen (of course Mitch blamed Peterson which is crap because even Peterson was tackling better than him). Tyrann now I did believe had a shoulder injury which might have effected him but still when out there he failed to wrap up or even hit with any force to stop a guy... Tyrann luvs to play the victim which makes no sense because he went against all odds being responsible to get where he is now

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is something else about Tyrann Mathieu, which always baffled me. In the beginning, he was the best tackler this team ever had, his technique was perfect and then his last few seasons with us he became one of our worst tacklers I have ever seen (of course Mitch blamed Peterson which is crap because even Peterson was tackling better than him). Tyrann now I did believe had a shoulder injury which might have effected him but still when out there he failed to wrap up or even hit with any force to stop a guy... Tyrann luvs to play the victim which makes no sense because he went against all odds being responsible to get where he is now

Yeah P2 didn't tackle so Badger stopped is Mitch's go to conspiracy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The coaches, other players in the league, clearly don't have the knowledge and critical thinking skills of fans on message boards.

We get it - he's good because other people say he's good. Clearly you and others haven't come up with any argument to break the bank on a guy who hasn't done anything to show he's a top safety. (oh wait, other legitimate star safeties will be paid more soon...that's the argument)

If I'm paying top dollar, I'd expect all the numbers to indicate that he's a top player. With Budda, both between the numbers and the eye test, the only thing he's proven adept at is securing tackles 8 yards down the field, on a terrible D - I'd love for someone to show ANYTHING to prove he's even adequate in coverage.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We get it - he's good because other people say he's good. Clearly you and others haven't come up with any argument to break the bank on a guy who hasn't done anything to show he's a top safety. (oh wait, other legitimate star safeties will be paid more soon...that's the argument)

If I'm paying top dollar, I'd expect all the numbers to indicate that he's a top player. With Budda, both between the numbers and the eye test, the only thing he's proven adept at is securing tackles 8 yards down the field, on a terrible D - I'd love for someone to show ANYTHING to prove he's even adequate in coverage.

Yup! All we have is the assessment made by management, his peers and those selecting the best performers at their position at end of year.

Sorry!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice Budda inetrview with Kurt W and Baldi on NFL Network.

Not only does he get paid/ he also gets some nifty face time before the cameras.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup! All we have is the assessment made by management, his peers and those selecting the best performers at their position at end of year.

Sorry!

Does he cover TEs Well?

Does he have the ability to lockdown and cover a RB who goes out in the passing game?

Can he cover a WR in a pinch? Or be counted on to break a pass on a long ball down the middle?

How many pass break ups does he get annually? What’s the completion % against him and The QB rating when throwing his way?

We get it. He can tackle and plays tough. He’s a good person and plays hard.

But he’s not a great well rounded player or anything of the sort. Saying he is is the epitome of cardinal homerism.

He didn’t deserve his contract and when others pass him he will still be overpaid. You don’t pay the Ronald Mckinnon of the safety position Ed Reed money it’s just dumb....

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does he cover TEs Well?

Does he have the ability to lockdown and cover a RB who goes out in the passing game?

Can he cover a WR in a pinch? Or be counted on to break a pass on a long ball down the middle?

How many pass break ups does he get annually? What’s the completion % against him and The QB rating when throwing his way?

We get it. He can tackle and plays tough. He’s a good person and plays hard.

But he’s not a great well rounded player or anything of the sort. Saying he is is the epitome of cardinal homerism.

He didn’t deserve his contract and when others pass him he will still be overpaid. You don’t pay the Ronald Mckinnon of the safety position Ed Reed money it’s just dumb....

Ok. F0 are idiots!

And, Reed, a Hall of Fame FS - would make more in today's market.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. F0 are idiots!

gaslighting. he asked legitimate questions. he didn't slam you or make childish comments. why not just answer his questions?

here they are again:

Does he cover TEs Well?

Personally, I think it's a massive overpay for a one-dimensional S who was one amongst many issues in our pass defense last year. and we've never seen him be good in pass defense the previous couple years either. in a pass-happy league, I just don't think he's worth what we're paying him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. F0 are idiots!

And, Reed, a Hall of Fame FS - would make more in today's market.

yes they are... and your right he would be the highest paid safety in the nfl because he would deserve it :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mmmmm... I like the Baker contract on OTC if it proves accurate.

Bumped his salary about 2 mil this year.

7.775 in 2021 (for those who are cap concerned re: next year)
14.755 in 2022 (when the S market will blow up)
16.871 in 2023 (7.55 in dead money if cut and this will be Kyler's 5th year option)
17.975 in 2024 (3.775 in dead money if cut so mostly funny money)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can play with the number all you want but the fact is for cap purposes, it's 4 yrs/$59MM or $14.745MM per year.
Contract numbers are out...apparently I am not just playing with numbers all I want...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
gaslighting. he asked legitimate questions. he didn't slam you or make childish comments. why not just answer his questions?

here they are again:

Does he cover TEs Well?

Personally, I think it's a massive overpay for a one-dimensional S who was one amongst many issues in our pass defense last year. and we've never seen him be good in pass defense the previous couple years either. in a pass-happy league, I just don't think he's worth what we're paying him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Does he cover TEs Well?

• at the 0:25 mark vs George Kittle

• at the 0:48 mark vs Emanuel Sanders
  • at the 1:14 mark vs Chris Godwin

Does he cover TEs Well?

• at the 0:49 mark vs George Kittle
  • 0:35 mark vs Christian McCaffery
  • at the 1:11 mark vs Tyler Lockett

Does he cover TEs Well?
  • at the 1:00 mark vs Gerald Everett
  • at the 2:01 mark vs James O'Shaughnessy

• at the 1:30 mark vs Cowboys

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson