Disney Plus (streaming service)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but the argument is whether the $30 is a good deal or not. You say it is. We disagree.

Yeah it seems like a throwback to the old VHS model where you'd have to spend a hundred bucks or so to buy a new movie during it's rental period. If the theaters are going the way of the dodo, I could see them trying to make something like this the new norm once Covid-19 becomes less impactful. Maybe they should bring in some greedy Hollywood lawyers and resurrect Richard Sharp so we could replay the 90's.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Did it say when it will drop?

Sept. 4th. Just saw it when reading an article about Bill & Ted 3 being moved up to Aug. 28th from Sept. 1st to give them a week's separation. Bill & Ted 3 is also going VOD with a theater release. Have't found a VOD price on it yet to see how it compares to what Disney is doing with Mulan. Personally I think Disney is over charging for Mulan with it being $30 and tied to a D+ account. I wouldn't have maybe accepted $30 if it didn't require D+ but not with it. That's a bit academic though since I have no interest in it. I'm interest Bill & Ted though unless they go crazy with the pricing.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're also paying for more than just the movie when you go to the theater. I get that theaters are expensive, but I'm a big supporter of the experience.

Part of the theater experience is seeing the title sooner rather than later. This is why, I assume, they're charging this premium.

Is that fair? Sure, why not? They have a product, you either want it bad enough right now to pay or you don't. You can wait for a disc, stream, or don't watch it at all. Just like before, the premium experience costs more.

Now, is this "new" experience worth it to you, apparently not. I don't blame you one bit. It definitely isn't for me as I don't have a burning desire to watch this on opening day.

Do I like this model from here on out? No, not really. But they're going to see what the market will bear. The more people that abstain from the instant gratification the more likely that the prices will come down in forthcoming titles.

I am sure all these production companies are going to do whatever they can to try and recoup their substantial investments because they've been taking it in the shorts since early this year.

It's really that simple. Would it be a great perk of membership to give this to their subs? Hell yeah! Might even garner some new ones from the additional value. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes with this new model.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Part of the theater experience is seeing the title sooner rather than later. This is why, I assume, they're charging this premium.

Is that fair? Sure, why not? They have a product, you either want it bad enough right now to pay or you don't. You can wait for a disc, stream, or don't watch it at all. Just like before, the premium experience costs more.

Now, is this "new" experience worth it to you, apparently not. I don't blame you one bit. It definitely isn't for me as I don't have a burning desire to watch this on opening day.

Do I like this model from here on out? No, not really. But they're going to see what the market will bear. The more people that abstain from the instant gratification the more likely that the prices will come down in forthcoming titles.

I am sure all these production companies are going to do whatever they can to try and recoup their substantial investments because they've been taking it in the shorts since early this year.

It's really that simple. Would it be a great perk of membership to give this to their subs? Hell yeah! Might even garner some new ones from the additional value. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes with this new model.
Small point: It’s not just about opening day. I don’t remember the last movie I saw on opening day.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I use this service FAR less than expected and disappointed I bought the full year up front.
We got it free because we have verizon. I watched hamilton and some other disney film. I also watched that star wars show. However, once the free trial is over I'll probably make my daughter pay for it if she wants it. Maybe I'll split the cost with her if she convinces me. If I remember right there are a lot of cool movies on there.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got it free because we have verizon. I watched hamilton and some other disney film. I also watched that star wars show. However, once the free trial is over I'll probably make my daughter pay for it if she wants it. Maybe I'll split the cost with her if she convinces me. If I remember right there are a lot of cool movies on there.
I just moved to verizon so I will likely cancel my paid subscription and go to my 12 month trial but I doubt I will renew. I have a 6 year old but she prefers netflix and youtube and its rare we fire up disney.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We’ve actually been using this quite a bit more than I thought we would. Finding some random movies that we didn’t expect there like “Magic Camp” that they whole family enjoyed. And so many historical movies great movies. And we all enjoy the shorts (makes for something good, quick and easy right before bedtime).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve actually been using this quite a bit more than I thought we would. Finding some random movies that we didn’t expect there like “Magic Camp” that they whole family enjoyed. And so many historical movies great movies. And we all enjoy the shorts (makes for something good, quick and easy right before bedtime).

would Mom and Dad enjoy Magic Camp? We're getting The Americans'd out over here.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I love the documentary stuff. Free Solo in 4k is great. Never mind all the Star Wars content.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? So since wait till it's available on streaming or Netflix, why pay literally 35-40 dollars just for the privilege of seeing it? Why not just wait for it?\

It does suck for people without Disney, and I can't fault them for that. But it's the same as Netflix. You can't watch Stranger Things unless you have Netflix. This is the same thing EXCEPT for the extra $30 you have to pay on top of the subscription.

Do you have a family? Cause when we go to the movies it’s a hell of a lot more than 30 bucks. That’s just tickets and if your going to IPIC or the Alamo the food is going to cost more. Even a regular theatre is going to be more than 30 dollars.

don’t like it don’t buy it, no one is making you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do you have a family? Cause when we go to the movies it’s a hell of a lot more than 30 bucks. That’s just tickets and if your going to IPIC or the Alamo the food is going to cost more. Even a regular theatre is going to be more than 30 dollars.

Yes I have a family, but thanks for the condescension and the lecture. Much appreciated.

The theater experience is a big part of the conversation, which you conveniently ignored. Sure it’s cheaper, but spectacles are always better on a big screen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes I have a family, but thanks for the condescension and the lecture. Much appreciated.

The theater experience is a big part of the conversation, which you conveniently ignored. Sure it’s cheaper, but spectacles are always better on a big screen.

your big hang up seems to be the price of 30 bucks not the experience of going to the theatre. At least that’s what I got from you going on and on about how you have to pay 30 dollars and you only get it as long as you subscribe to the service and paying 30 dollars on top of your subscription

listen I have ESPN+ and when big fights happen guess what? You still have to pay the PPV price tag if you want to watch them even though they are associated with ESPN.

this ain’t new.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm single, and don't want to go to a death trap theater right now. Explain to me how it makes ANY financial sense watching new movies right now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm single, and don't want to go to a death trap theater right now. Explain to me how it makes ANY financial sense watching new movies right now.

cause I’m not broke

idk.

if I want something I’ll pay for it if I don’t I won’t. Pretty much

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cause I’m not broke

idk.

I gotta agree. Not sure why people are getting up in arms about this.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then don't watch any new movies. I wanted to watch bill and Ted but was the only one in my house so I decided against it. If you value the good or service more than the amount of money, then it's a good trade. As for Mulan I've never seen it. I think Tuesday night I'll get the daughters and granddaughter together and watch it before deciding on watching the remake.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then don't watch any new movies. I wanted to watch bill and Ted but was the only one in my house so I decided against it. If you value the good or service more than the amount of money, then it's a good trade. As for Mulan I've never seen it. I think Tuesday night I'll get the daughters and granddaughter together and watch it before deciding on watching the remake.

yeah I was out voted on Bill and Ted in my house to. I want to watch it just cause it’s something from my youth but did it really need a third one? Eh

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I want to say "jerk much," but I'd like to think you're not trying to be one.

cause I’m not broke

idk.

LOL Implying I am? Nope, I'm just not a fan of extortion.

I gotta agree. Not sure why people are getting up in arms about this.

Because I like to watch new movies but don't want to pay roughly double what I used to have to pay without even getting to see it in the theater?

I mean, wow, guys, what a great support system we have on ASFN lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose