The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz beat the Pelicans 106 - 104.

As far as enjoying the game, I'm not missing the fans that much.

yeah. It’s made almost zero difference. Kinda feels like watching some of the games at the olympics before the semifinals when fans get more into it.

regardless it’s entertaining.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah. It’s made almost zero difference. Kinda feels like watching some of the games at the olympics before the semifinals when fans get more into it.

Agreed. I even just said " let's see how this goes, it'll be weird without fans." .For tv it makes zero difference. I do badly want to go to a game . I don't care if the grizzlies beat us by 18, I'd just love to watch some basketball.

I guess I'll see if the crowd matters if this Clippers game is close down the stretch. Might miss the energy of that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I even just said " let's see how this goes, it'll be weird without fans." .For tv it makes zero difference. I do badly want to go to a game . I don't care if the grizzlies beat us by 18, I'd just love to watch some basketball.

I guess I'll see if the crowd matters if this Clippers game is close down the stretch. Might miss the energy of that

yeah. End of games might not have that electric juice without fans, especially during the seeding portion of this but I think in the playoffs 90% of reality and considering the rest of the country is at like 15% of reality, I’ll take it.

football will matter even less without fans because they’re so removed from the field as opposed to the nba.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a good announcer can add excitement to the game. Also It's great to hear the squeaking of sneakers.

I did hear what seemed like crowd noise but I'm not sure where it came from. Maybe it was canned or streamed into the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basketball couldn’t come soon enough in my current quarantine predicament, marooned in an Airbnb in Houston, making sure Dad has something to watch all day because he can’t visit Mom while she recovers in the hospital.

thank you Adam Silver and all the NBA players for playing and taking COVID seriously enough to get this far. Just give me three more weeks!

Hope your mom is doing well and they can get back together soon.

I'm not in a situation like that but am grateful the NBA's plan seems to be working well. There's still a lot of basketball left to be played but this 2nd preseason has been encouraging and great distraction during this quarantine.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope your mom is doing well and they can get back together soon.

I'm not in a situation like that but am grateful the NBA's plan seems to be working well. There's still a lot of basketball left to played but this 2nd preseason has been encouraging and great distraction during this quarantine.

appreciate that hoop!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz beat the Pelicans 106 - 104.

As far as enjoying the game, I'm not missing the fans that much.

Did you watch the G-League at all? That's what this reminds me of. I always wondered if the level of play in G-League games is what turned me off or if it was the lack of crowd interaction but I think these NBA games as of late have helped answer that, it was the mediocre basketball in those games that turned me away.

I hope they can do something for the playoffs to add some atmosphere to the games. Maybe allowing other players to fill the stands. I don't see why others in the bubble who have tested negative can't be present as spectators.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a good announcer can add excitement to the game. Also It's great to hear the squeaking of sneakers.

I did hear what seemed like crowd noise but I'm not sure where it came from. Maybe it was canned or streamed into the game.

Some games have had canned crowd reactions. I'm not sure if it's something being done by the "home team", the league, or the network airing the game but it can sound cheesy. I watched a little bit of an early Mavericks game that had canned crowd noises and it was a bit much. They had it up too loud and probably used bad samples because the hype level made it sound really overboard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think playoff games, we will still be entertained by and it will be a good watch, but in comparison to ones will fans, will not compare.

That said, I am thrilled to have it back. Clearing a wide gap in my day tomorrow to watch the Suns. Hopefully we light up the Wizards, teams infront of us suck tomorrow and the team gives Oubre the green light.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have tv issues our big tv apparently has come "expanded" capacitors on the power board problem so it keeps turning itself off and then back on so I gave up watching last night. If the new power cord doesn't fix it then getting a new tv. The bits i did see the big issue for me was the camera angle, it was really like watching summer league or HS games where the camera angle is just not very good.

I guess I haven't been following closely I had no idea Zion was going to be that limited in minutes, and that out of shape he basically cost them the game. they were -16 in the 15 minutes he played.

Obviously Lonzo going 2-13 didn't help them but basically Zion's minutes cost them the game and the bit I did see him play he was winded almost instantly, clearly not in shape.

Even though it nearly went in the last play for me is why I'm not a huge Brandon Ingram fan. I'm sure that was the design of the play but he completely settled for a stepback 3 instead of trying to get to the rim and draw a foul. I'm a contrarian there I know you want your best guy to take the shot but if you're going to take a 3 I'd run a play to get an open one not a contested off the dribble one. If Lonzo had even remotely been making shots the obvious play would have been he inbounds fakes a cut and then goes back and gets the 3, the way teams guard them he's going to get the most open look and that side of the court is his favored shooting spot but he was 2-13 so I'm sure they didn't even consider running the play for him and probably the right call.

Nice to see basketball again, if the new power cord doesn't work I'll be getting a 50 inch tv either this weekend or early next week. The current LG is 47 inch, got it in 2013 seemed huge then now not so much. Still like the tv but just not worth trying to get the power board replaced if that's it. From Google it sounds like that's our issue, capacitors on the power board expanded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch the G-League at all? That's what this reminds me of. I always wondered if the level of play in G-League games is what turned me off or if it was the lack of crowd interaction but I think these NBA games as of late have helped answer that, it was the mediocre basketball in those games that turned me away.

I hope they can do something for the playoffs to add some atmosphere to the games. Maybe allowing other players to fill the stands. I don't see why others in the bubble who have tested negative can't be present as spectators.

I've watched a lot of practices, high school/college basketball and G-League games where there were not a lot of fans. I do like to hear sound related to basketball and a good announcer but crowd noise does not make the game for me as much as quality of play. Of course I generally have some kind of rapport to the team I'm watching.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some games have had canned crowd reactions. I'm not sure if it's something being done by the "home team", the league, or the network airing the game but it can sound cheesy. I watched a little bit of an early Mavericks game that had canned crowd noises and it was a bit much. They had it up too loud and probably used bad samples because the hype level made it sound really overboard.

I think a general background crowd murmur along with a good announcer and some reasonably timed music would help.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think playoff games, we will still be entertained by and it will be a good watch, but in comparison to ones will fans, will not compare.

That said, I am thrilled to have it back. Clearing a wide gap in my day tomorrow to watch the Suns. Hopefully we light up the Wizards, teams infront of us suck tomorrow and the team gives Oubre the green light.

Kellan Olson on twitter said Oubre was out today but I have not seen any reports as yet to confirm it.

It will be a lot of fun to watch a regular season game again and see if they have made any progress.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kellan Olson on twitter said Oubre was out today but I have not seen any reports as yet to confirm it.

It will be a lot of fun to watch a regular season game again and see if they have made any progress.

He's definitely out. He still has not practiced 5 on 5 with the team.

Basically unless there becomes a legit chance suns can make the 9 seed like 5 or 6 games in, I don't think he will play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's definitely out. He still has not practiced 5 on 5 with the team.

Basically unless there becomes a legit chance suns can make the 9 seed like 5 or 6 games in, I don't think he will play.

There is no reason to believe Oubre will play today. I am a bit surprised I've yet to see other twitter sources say the same thing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mo Bamba had been bragging about putting on 28 pounds "of muscle" during the break. Man, saw him briefly in the Orlando game, that ain't muscle big guy, he got tubby. He was already a fringe player before the flab but he seems to have eaten his way out of Orlando's rotation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

im guessing the guys Who have been eliminated are getting the hell out of the bubble in a moments notice.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Trey Burke came off the bench to put up 31 for the Mavs tonight. It's kind of lame that the Suns took a pass on even looking at him for backup PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trey Burke came off the bench to put up 31 for the Mavs tonight. It's kind of lame that the Suns took a pass on even looking at him for backup PG.

Yeah, I can't remember how many times I pushed for this move.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Warren is going nuts. 50 POINTS! in a big matchup with the Sixers. Dude is a key member of a solid Pacers squad that could be a really tough out with Oladipo and if Sabonus comes back. And Brogdon does also. Man... when healthy, they’ve accumulated a lot of solid talent.

I still can’t believe we had to GIVE UP a 2nd round pick to move him. That was really bad asset management. I hope we don’t find ourselves doing the same with Oubre.

IF there really is an issue with Oubre and we’re forced to trade him, I really hope we get something solid of value back because to go from really deep at the 3 with Warren, Bridges and Oubre to possibly just Bridges just wouldn’t be good for a team starved of talent at other positions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose