Henry Ruggs III

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you knew Ruggs was the next Tyreek Hill, would you still pass on him with the 8 th pick?

I always regarded Ruggs as ‘#3’ of the big three. But he appears more than just a fast guy. I don’t know about his route tree but besides blinding speed he has good hands...and big one too.

So back to the original question. If you knew Ruggs was the next Tyreek Hill would you still pass on him with the 8 the pick?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I knew what I can't possibly know... yeah, ok.

While I'm at it I'll move heaven and earth to draft "X" because, after a 10-year career, he'll be elected to the H of F.
Point being is NO player is a slam dunk all-pro.

That is what we should be striving for. The player that analytically projects to be that player. Not the position we feel we need. Whether it’s a wr, cb, dl or ot we need to hit on a great player.

Many here are against drafting a specific player because he doesn’t ideally fit our need.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That is what we should be striving for. The player that analytically projects to be that player. Not the position we feel we need. Whether it’s a wr, cb, dl or ot we need to hit on a great player.

Many here are against drafting a specific player because he doesn’t ideally fit our need.
That is why you can't argue about trading back and out of the Top Ten. It will take a few years to know who were the real Top Ten.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes balls and conviction to follow your plan. Ruggs is one element that we don’t have in the Wr room. If the Cards brass believe Issabella can be that guy, okay. But there are not to many of us here that believe it. I was very happy when we picked him but I’m barely hanging on to that bandwagon by a thread.

it would spit into the face of the ‘ experts ‘ to take Ruggs. But if you believe in your plan then do it. We really won’t know who’s right and who’s wrong for a couple of years.

And it appears percentage wise we have a much better chance at being wrong than being right.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 5th to draft Josh Rosen. Then traded Rosen for the pick that we used on Isabella. Then threw 9 passes to Isabella as a rookie and people already want to throw him away?
Give him and the other guys at least a little shot before you become the Lions. Especially now that our head coach/OC and quarterback aren't rookies as well.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thought this thread was in regard to this trade down Mock

Should be noted Wirfs/Becton were drafted before this trade.

PICK

Henry Ruggs III - WR
School: Alabama | Year: Junior

PROJECTED TRADE WITH CARDINALS. General manager John Elway must give Drew Lock as many weapons as possible. Swapping Pick No. 15 and a couple of Day 2 picks this year to grab their top wideout target (Ruggs, CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy all have a case to be the first WR drafted, but we'll go with Ruggs here) gives them their best shot to become a legitimate contender in the AFC.

Jedrick Wills - OT

PROJECTED TRADE WITH BRONCOS. After acquiring DeAndre Hopkins, the Cards are in position to move down (getting two third-round picks in the trade) and still meet their top need. Wills steps in at right tackle to join D.J. Humphries in protecting Kyler Murray.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...20-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PICK

Henry Ruggs III - WR

PROJECTED TRADE WITH CARDINALS. General manager John Elway must give Drew Lock as many weapons as possible. Swapping Pick No. 15 and a couple of Day 2 picks this year to grab their top wideout target (Ruggs, CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy all have a case to be the first WR drafted, but we'll go with Ruggs here) gives them their best shot to become a legitimate contender in the AFC.

Jedrick Wills - OT

PROJECTED TRADE WITH BRONCOS. After acquiring DeAndre Hopkins, the Cards are in position to move down (getting two third-round picks in the trade) and still meet their top need. Wills steps in at right tackle to join D.J. Humphries in protecting Kyler Murray.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...20-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1
That’s what actually spurred me on to ask this question.

SOMEBODY appears to think Ruggs could be the 8th pick in the draft and give up picks to get him.

So why not us?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It takes balls and conviction to follow your plan. Ruggs is one element that we don’t have in the Wr room. If the Cards brass believe Issabella can be that guy, okay. But there are not to many of us here that believe it. I was very happy when we picked him but I’m barely hanging on to that bandwagon by a thread.

it would spit into the face of the ‘ experts ‘ to take Ruggs. But if you believe in your plan then do it. We really won’t know who’s right and who’s wrong for a couple of years.

And it appears percentage wise we have a much better chance at being wrong than being right.
I was told a long time ago that all 4.3s arent equal.

Andy, as of now, looks to have track speed not sure about football speed. The suddeness, the COD, burst just doesnt seem there (in terms of 4.2/4.3 guys). If you watch that play of Mecole Hardman vs. the Titans you see that catch and run burst where he's just smoking the defense. Andy's big play seemed like he was nearly caught. Still very fast, but not fastest on the football field speed. Otherwise why wouldnt they get the ball in his hands more? Although the jump in comp might have needed hm to adjust.

Ruggs appears to have that rare blazing speed. Just a question if he develops into that kinda WR. Should be noted that Steve Smith and Tyreke Hill were basically return guys their first year in the league. So its possible he'd have to adjust as well. Which give me a little hope for Andy as well. However, Ruggs speed does look different like those guys (Hill/Smith).

We gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 5th to draft Josh Rosen. Then traded Rosen for the pick that we used on Isabella. Then threw 9 passes to Isabella as a rookie and people already want to throw him away?
Give him and the other guys at least a little shot before you become the Lions. Especially now that our head coach/OC and quarterback aren't rookies as well.
Could be a case of him just needing a year in the league to adjust. At least thats my hope.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score

PICK

Henry Ruggs III - WR

Jedrick Wills - OT

JMO, but I'm thinking they would wait right up until they were on the clock to decide what they want to do. If Okudah, Brown, or Simmons are there, they should not trade down. IF they want an OT they should not trade down with Denver. That's too far. It sucks to not have a 2nd round pick, but there is that one guy they received for said pick.....

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

If Ruggs analytically projected to be Tyreek Hill, he'd go before we can pick him.

But he's not, and you're grasping at straws to ask us if we'd draft him if he were Tyreek Hill. Because if he's Tyreek Hill, what are the other available players? Let's not pretend the remainder is garbage.

If I'm choosing between Tyreek Hill and the next Ryan Shazier in Simmons, I'm going Shazier.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ruggs analytically projected to be Tyreek Hill, he'd go before we can pick him.

But he's not, and you're grasping at straws to ask us if we'd draft him if he were Tyreek Hill. Because if he's Tyreek Hill, what are the other available players? Let's not pretend the remainder is garbage.

If I'm choosing between Tyreek Hill and the next Ryan Shazier in Simmons, I'm going Shazier.
Nobody knew Tyreek Hill was Tyreek Hill until he became Tyreek Hill. Who is your Ryan Shazier? If you know then let’s draft him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Nobody knew Tyreek Hill was Tyreek Hill until he became Tyreek Hill. Who is your Ryan Shazier? If you know then let’s draft him.
I just said it. But no, no one knows who they are until they start to play, so "Tyreek Hill is good which means for some reason we should draft Henry Ruggs" is a nonsensical argument.

Keep in mind, Hill was a third round pick, too. Right now you could be advocating to take John Ross, or frankly, almost any of the 1st round WR picks in recent history, because most downright suck.

I probably wouldn't try to draft Tyreek Hill to be our 4th receiver anyways.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We swapped 1st that’s a big big difference.

and we had 2 3rd round picks that year. We really didn’t give up a lot for Rosen

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We swapped 1st that’s a big big difference.

and we had 2 3rd round picks that year. We really didn’t give up a lot for Rosen
Okay, well then we gave up a lot for Isabella, because the total compensation for him turned out to be the combined value of that 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Receiver who don't produce well in college typically don't produce well in the NFL either.

Of course you can point to an outlier like Michael Thomas.

I am not using pick 8 on a guy I am HOPING turns into an outlier.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Receiver who don't produce well in college typically don't produce well in the NFL either.

Of course you can point to an outlier like Michael Thomas.

I am not using pick 8 on a guy I am HOPING turns into an outlier.

you think Henry Ruggs didn’t produce in college?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you think Henry Ruggs didn’t produce in college?

In his best (Junior) year he had 40 catches and 746 yards. That is very poor production for a first round NFL wide receiver pick. He only had ~17.5% of his team's receiving production. Very poor.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ruggs will be a fine receiver in the NFL. The question to answer is Which position group will have the largest impact on the number of wins we are able to achieve in the coming years?

WR, OT, or LB? All will likely be available. Do you think we could trade down and still get one? How far?
Would you be happy if we traded down and were left with taking Kinlaw or Ruggs?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In his best (Junior) year he had 40 catches and 746 yards. That is very poor production for a first round NFL wide receiver pick. He only had ~17.5% of his team's receiving production. Very poor.

Alabama is run heavy based offense and the best WR core in the history of college football. 3 legit 1st round WR

When you look at this you have to look at it in perspective. This is where numbers can be deceiving.

by you telling me this it tells me you didn’t actually watch or pay attention to Alabama football. If you looking at black and white numbers.

ask anyone Saban included and they will tell you Ruggs is the alpha in that WR room.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just said it. But no, no one knows who they are until they start to play, so "Tyreek Hill is good which means for some reason we should draft Henry Ruggs" is a nonsensical argument.

Keep in mind, Hill was a third round pick, too. Right now you could be advocating to take John Ross, or frankly, almost any of the 1st round WR picks in recent history, because most downright suck.

I probably wouldn't try to draft Tyreek Hill to be our 4th receiver anyways.
Well on the same hand who’s to say Wirfs is the next Pace? Also, I’m not advocating taking Ruggs. I’m saying if the Broncos we’re willing to trade up and give us additional picks to select Ruggs, are we missing something?

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Well on the same hand who’s to say Wirfs is the next Pace? Also, I’m not advocating taking Ruggs. I’m saying if the Broncos we’re willing to trade up and give us additional picks to select Ruggs, are we missing something?

My hope is the team doesn’t take a receiver in round 1 but if by chance they do I would prefer Jeudy or Ruggs over Lamb. I’m sure if we could see every teams rankings more than Denver would have Ruggs as the top guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose