OT: Do you think Cam Newton gets a good amount of unfair hate?

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
He seems to be a real controversial figure, dating back to his Auburn days.

He seems to rub some folks the wrong way, but I never understood how?

Can someone explain to me?

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We all know what it about

Cams issue is that he never refined his accuracy specifically his foot work

And his throwing arm was injured

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve always seen his after touchdown celebrating as giving the opposing teams fans a massive double finger!!
Celebrations such as that just absolutely turn me off.
Sorry,guess I’m just a huge Larry Fan!! Lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Cam has been overrated as a QB his whole career. Especially as a passer. He's never been a top 10 QB for me.

BUT

He's waaaay better than Bridgewater and far better than a bunch of starting QB's in the league. He could be great on the Chargers. They have some good receivers, are building an O line and have a great D to back him up. If he's healthy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Cam has been overrated as a QB his whole career. Especially as a passer. He's never been a top 10 QB for me.

BUT

He's waaaay better than Bridgewater and far better than a bunch of starting QB's in the league. He could be great on the Chargers. They have some good receivers, are building an O line and have a great D to back him up. If he's healthy.

That is just wrong, he earned MVP in 2015. When he's healthy, he might not even be the passer Lamar Jackson is for his similar style of play but he mans his position in a unique way which makes him special. The QB position can be defined in many ways now, as long as you score is the main attribute. Now Cam's character on the field is pathetic but off the field he's well appreciated for all his efforts with the community

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a beast but he is definitely a prima donna. He's an emotional player but his antics seem to cause his opponents to really come after him which reinforces his bitchiness. His getting up and leaving during several press conferences, especially SB 50, put a shadow on who he is as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my end I love the guy as a player. He is fun to watch on the field.

The problem becomes when he makes the game about him rather than the team. He seems to pat himself on the back when times are good and when bad his demeanor becomes the sort of thing that can implode a team.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
From my end I love the guy as a player. He is fun to watch on the field.

The problem becomes when he makes the game about him rather than the team. He seems to pat himself on the back when times are good and when bad his demeanor becomes the sort of thing that can implode a team.

He could have been so much better had he shown more dedication to the craft of QB. Having seen so many of his games (when you live in SC, you see all there games on TV) where if things go South especially early in a game, he would pout and sit alone on the bench instead of getting with his coaches to review plays on the tablet and when things went well he would be involved in all kind of sideline celebrations. In all the games I have watched I never saw him sitting with coaches talking to them and getting ready for the next offensive series much like you would see guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. looking for that edge to win a game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to be on the Cam hate-wagon(mainly because he went to the rival of my alumni), but then I realized it’s dumb as hell.

He celebrates & that rubs people off the wrong way cause it’s not “classy” or whatever dumb term you want to use, even though he gives up the football to a young fan. It’s passionate when Brady is yelling at his coaches or Rivers talking trash & even grabbing them to listen, but for Cam, he’s a “me-me” type player. This is all the while he is literally putting his body on line running through linebackers & defensive backs every single game. I also assume people are also put off by his unorthodox fashion sense, but why should that really bother you if it’s not offensive?

He has been a total pro for the community of Charlotte & none of his teammates, outside of an overweight Kelvin Benjamin who just didn’t care, spoke highly of him.

The fact some say he’s one of the most disliked players in a league with rapists, domestic abusers, & headhunters, says more about their character than it does Cam.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be on the Cam hate-wagon(mainly because he went to the rival of my alumni), but then I realized it’s dumb as hell.

He celebrates & that rubs people off the wrong way cause it’s not “classy” or whatever dumb term you want to use, even though he gives up the football to a young fan. It’s passionate when Brady is yelling at his coaches or Rivers talking trash & even grabbing them to listen, but for Cam, he’s a “me-me” type player. This is all the while he is literally putting his body on line running through linebackers & defensive backs every single game. I also assume people are also put off by his unorthodox fashion sense, but why should that really bother you if it’s not offensive?

He has been a total pro for the community of Charlotte & none of his teammates, outside of an overweight Kelvin Benjamin who just didn’t care, spoke highly of him.

The fact some say he’s one of the most disliked players in a league with rapists, domestic abusers, & headhunters, says more about their character than it does Cam.

Yes I have heard he is awesome in the community.

I really believe Rivera showing zero interest and instead taking on a vastly inferior player tells you a lot about him as a leader.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone summed up my thoughts on this perfectly, To paraphrase a bit... He's a pompous ass in victory, and a sniveling little bitch in defeat.

What's to like?

I do know he's active in his community, so I'll give him that.

I might actually like him as a person... As a player, I've always thought he was a douche with no leadership attributes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really believe Rivera showing zero interest and instead taking on a vastly inferior player tells you a lot about him as a leader.

he is without a doubt not a leader. His rigs with other players alone show the lack of respect he gets.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Or that Rivera is invested in his young QB in Haskins & brought in a clear-backup.

Cam is not a backup & I bet Rivera knows that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is just wrong, he earned MVP in 2015. When he's healthy, he might not even be the passer Lamar Jackson is for his similar style of play but he mans his position in a unique way which makes him special. The QB position can be defined in many ways now, as long as you score is the main attribute. Now Cam's character on the field is pathetic but off the field he's well appreciated for all his efforts with the community

MVP is a beauty contest. He was 7th in passer rating, 27th in comp %, 16th in yards, 23rd in yards per game, 9th in QBR etc etc

It was his best season but he won MVP because he was QB on one of the best teams in the league.

There were several QBs more worthy including Carson.

As I said, good QB. Probably top 16. But not top 10 as many say.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MVP is a beauty contest. He was 7th in passer rating, 27th in comp %, 16th in yards, 23rd in yards per game, 9th in QBR etc etc

It was his best season but he won MVP because he was QB on one of the best teams in the league.

There were several QBs more worthy including Carson.

As I said, good QB. Probably top 16. But not top 10 as many say.
Are you just going to leave out his rushing stats? He had Greg Olsen, but what about throwing to such heavyweights such as Ted Ginn & Philly Brown?

Carson was the only arguable case against Cam.

Impact goes beyond stats. We for sure saw it live in the NFC Championship game against them 4-5 years ago.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

In a nutshell .... but hate is a bit strong... more like meh

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Narcissistic and childish at times. BUT, a very, very good QB. When healthy he's generally in the top 10-15 range IMO.

We've seen a LOT worse here in the desert, no?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson