How did you become a Cardinals fan?

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
When we lived back in NYC my family had season tickets for the Jets at Shea. We moved to AZ in 1976 when I was 9 y/o. Back in those days, and being across the country, it was hard to keep up with the Jets especially with the Cowboys/Broncos, etc being the closest teams.

BTW - I would never follow those teams

My family even got tickets to the Arizona Wranglers once the USFL hit.

When the Cards came to AZ they became my team. Once I was able to buy my own season tickets I did so. Spent many a hot afternoon in SDS

Even though I am living back in NJ I still follow the Cards while picking back up following the Jets.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I inherited my strong will and stubbornness from my father, so when he told me, "You're from Western Pennsylvania, so you should be a Pirates fan, and you should be a Penguins fan, but there ain't going to be anybody but a ******* Steelers fan under THIS roof!" it guaranteed I'd be anything but a Steelers fan. I rooted for the Bears to do the Super Bowl shuffle, but even as a kid I hated blindly following front runners. I had no real team but anyone playing against Dallas or Pittsburgh. Then one year I read Neil Lomax's autobiography and decided to like them. Yeah, should've taken the hint that year, when Lomax messed up his hip and ended his career, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I posted my back story on the Introductions thread when I joined:

Started following the Cardinals last season

Had always liked the game (big fan of Friday Night Lights haha) but never really watched NFL properly. Didn't even know all the teams let alone players. Work changed for me last year so that I was at home Monday mornings which is the equivalent of Sunday afternoons in the US.

Started to really get into it. Ummed and ahhed about picking a team during the early stages of the season.

My town Adelaide is a smaller city so didn't want to follow a team from LA, New York, Chicago etc
Aussie Rules team is Adelaide Crows so same initials
Also support Liverpool so the red colour matches
My state South Australia is the driest state in the driest continent so some affinity with Arizona
Wasn't too interested in a fanbase that loved dressing up ridiculously so no Chiefs, Vikings for me
Real grass stadium
Franchise that had been there a while

Worked my way through the options and settled on Arizona. Read and watched quite a bit about Larry Fitzgerald and when I did straight away it felt like I'd made the right call for me

Also in a funny way it helped that last season was a poor one. Didn't want to hop on some bandwagon of a team that was flying. Wouldn't have felt like I'd 'earned' any success.

I enjoyed last year even though it ended in a No 1 draft pick so I figure if I enjoyed that then...

Onward and upward

Still trying to work out the best way to watch games. Any other Aussies on here? We get NFL Red Zone here which skips around between all the games and is great plus the odd live game on ESPN but very hard to watch Cards games themselves. I stumbled across a couple of dodgy streams last year but would prefer legit options.

Is there an NFL international pass or something?

Have been reading the forum quite a bit though not posting much yet. The similarities in posting here compared to about my Aussie Rules club who are going through a poor patch are remarkably similar! Feels like home

Anyway, looking forward to the season and please forgive any noob questions

Couple of seasons in and am loving following the game. Gradually learning the rules and various ins & outs of player movement. I know what a Transition Tag is now.

Am three quarters of the way through the All Or Nothing documentary on Amazon Prime (we win the Super Bowl, right?) so getting a bit of recent history. Amazed at the amount of player movement in the sport. Almost a completely different player list (sorry... roster) compared with 5 years ago.

Watching games through NFL Game Pass which gives me access to every single game (all teams) plus highlight packages.

I live in Adelaide, Australia. NFL is not widely followed here though those who do follow it passionately. Mostly Green Bay, Patriots or Eagles fans. I wore a Cardinals t-shirt to the pub last week which caught the eye of a fellow Cardinals fan. The first person I've met here who follows them! Was finally able to have a conversation with someone about the DeAndre Hopkins trade which was nice.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted my back story on the Introductions thread when I joined:

Couple of seasons in and am loving following the game. Gradually learning the rules and various ins & outs of player movement. I know what a Transition Tag is now.

Am three quarters of the way through the All Or Nothing documentary on Amazon Prime (we win the Super Bowl, right?) so getting a bit of recent history. Amazed at the amount of player movement in the sport. Almost a completely different player list (sorry... roster) compared with 5 years ago.

Watching games through NFL Game Pass which gives me access to every single game (all teams) plus highlight packages.

I live in Adelaide, Australia. NFL is not widely followed here though those who do follow it passionately. Mostly Green Bay, Patriots or Eagles fans. I wore a Cardinals t-shirt to the pub last week which caught the eye of a fellow Cardinals fan. The first person I've met here who follows them! Was finally able to have a conversation with someone about the DeAndre Hopkins trade which was nice.
Thanks for joining us.

Welcome aboard!

Cardinals fans are very loyal and have endured many hardships. We are a tough bunch.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Became a fan as soon as it was announced that the team was moving here. Had been previously following any and all groups attempting to bring us an expansion team to the Valley. Met and spoke with Bart Starr at the 1987 preseason NFL game at SDS between the Green Bay Packers and the Denver Broncos. Cool experience. He was one of the biggest names involved in trying to lure an expansion team here.

The first few years I rode my bike down to the stadium and got tickets from scalpers if I couldn't get them from friends. Season ticket holder since 1993. Have missed two home games since the team moved here - both were preseason games due to deaths in the family and both times we made sure the tickets went to ASFN'ers (Skkorp and AzCards21).

Went to the Super Bowl in Tampa and the Titans game the following year. Both were lost after we had the lead with 2:37 remaining on the clock. No more road games for us. LOL

AZCardz4L

Reaction score
I was born in Wytheville, VA. In VA people either cheered for the Washington Redskins or North Carolina. My dad grew up with Gary Clark. They were pretty much brothers, they got in trouble together and played football together. Gary became my Godfather, once I was born. Little before I was born he played for Jacksonville Bulls I think was in 1984-1985, he went to the Washington Redskins, were THE POSSE (Gary Clark, Art Monk & Ricky Sanders) was created. Played for the Redskins till 1992. From there he went to the Arizona Cardinals in 1993. My Dad and Ma was going through a divorce at that time and my dad decided to move to AZ with Gary and start a new life out there, I decided to go with my dad. Plus I loved my Godfather and admire his skills on the field. Him and Gary started a Limousine Business(Gary Clark's 5th Ave limousine) once we got out here. But ever since I moved out here the Cardinals had grew on me, even with all the losing. I came from a state with no professional football team, so I guess it was kinda easy to latch on to the Cardinals and start rooting for them and plus my godfather played for them. Even when Gary left after a year to the Miami Dolphins which was 1995. I never stop being a Cardinals fan and will always be!!

Sorry for the drawn out answer, find myself going crazy with working from home and having 2 year old twins screaming and fighting all day.

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
I lived in St. Louis in 1967-1968 and we had tickets to most games. I got hooked and then we moved to Dallas. It made me an even more diehard Cardinal fan seeing how spoiled Cowboy fans were/are. I have stayed loyal ever since even though it took enduring some really bad years. I still live in Dallas and try to get to some home games when I can. The highlight was seeing and beating the Eagles in the NFC Championship game in 2008.

Reaction score
I was born in Wytheville, VA. In VA people either cheered for the Washington Redskins or North Carolina. My dad grew up with Gary Clark. They were pretty much brothers, they got in trouble together and played football together. Gary became my Godfather, once I was born. Little before I was born he played for Jacksonville Bulls I think was in 1984-1985, he went to the Washington Redskins, were THE POSSE (Gary Clark, Art Monk & Ricky Sanders) was created. Played for the Redskins till 1992. From there he went to the Arizona Cardinals in 1993. My Dad and Ma was going through a divorce at that time and my dad decided to move to AZ with Gary and start a new life out there, I decided to go with my dad. Plus I loved my Godfather and admire his skills on the field. Him and Gary started a Limousine Business(Gary Clark's 5th Ave limousine) once we got out here. But ever since I moved out here the Cardinals had grew on me, even with all the losing. I came from a state with no professional football team, so I guess it was kinda easy to latch on to the Cardinals and start rooting for them and plus my godfather played for them. Even when Gary left after a year to the Miami Dolphins which was 1995. I never stop being a Cardinals fan and will always be!!

Sorry for the drawn out answer, find myself going crazy with working from home and having 2 year old twins screaming and fighting all day.

I was going to say post more often but with you having 2 year old twins you won't have the time. :thumbup:

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My family is from the Bay Area so I grew up watching Montana/Rice and Young/Rice with my grandfather so I was a Niners fan. I always rooted for the Cardinals as well as the home team. A combination of the realignment in 2002 and the Eddie' D's idiot sister running the Niners into the ground pushed me full time Cardinals.

My other grandfather was a Cowboys fan.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a pick-up basketball game at my old high school (Freeburg High School) with some of the current at that time players (1962). They played basketball the same way they played football. I looked like I'd been run over by a MAC truck, but enjoyed every minute of it. That's when I got interested in the NFL and have been a Cardinal fan ever since. My always rooting for the underdog probably has been a big part in keeping me rooting for my Cardinals. Sorry but Pat Fischer is the only name I can remember.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My father transferred out to the nuke plant the same time as the Cards moved to the valley.

I had the fortune of shaking hands with Jay Novachek, Ken Harvey and Louis Sharp when I was a teen. Made a strong impression on me. Even through the bad seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Ok here goes when I was very young we went to the MLB allstar games in Kansas City was 1973 I believe at that time I also learned that Stl had a football team also which featured Jim Hart among others watched them flashy red and white uniforms ever since followed every draft pick from Clyde Duncan to Steve Little etc was broken hearted when they moved but my support has never wavered for the Big Red was stunned when they went to the SB disappointed they lost but over joyed and or proud they made it to the big show in my lifetime still am

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Grew up (and still) in NY and Became a fan in the 1970s when Cards were in NFC East. For some reason my dad hated the Giants so I looked for a team in the division who played the Giants. Cards were a lot of fun then with Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf and that killer O-line

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Grew up in Oklahoma I was 10 in 1974. My brother and sister and I started watching NFL. Sis picked the Cowboys, Bro picked the Vikings. That left me, I chose the Cardinals who were pretty good back then. Thought I was picking a winner!?!
Been faithful every since. Still waiting for that title 46 years later! I have to say my expectations of this staff and roster is just about as high as I can remember.
Go Cards!

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
The Don Coryell “Cardiac Card” days were exciting. Hart, Metcalf, Gray, Jackie Smith, Dierdorf, Dobler, Wherli. They couldn’t win in the playoffs but definitely fun to watch!

But the 2008/2009 Super Bowl run was totally awesome!! “Worst team to ever make the playoffs”, but 35 seconds from winning it all! If we never win a Super Bowl before I die, that experience will suffice!

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Grew up in Montana and when I was about 5 I remember seeing the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team playing on tv. They had a catcher named Tim McCarver and I thought that was cool since my name's Tim. I started following them and later found out there was a St. Louis football Cardinals. That was the begining of my football addiction. My best friend was a Cowboys fan and the Cards were still in the NFC East at the time. We had epic Roger Staubach v. Roger Wherli battles and Jim Hart v. Too Tall Jones battles. I stuck with the Cardinals even when they moved to AZ. Living and working in Bozeman, MT where Jan Stenerud used to have his celebrity golf classic, I got the opportunity to caddy for both Jim Hart and Neil Lomax. Still love the baseball Cardinals. I've only seen one NFL game and it was the Cards v. Cowboys in Dallas in 91, Cowboys crushed us. One day I will get to a game at SFS

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1998 when I moved here. Growing up in the south i was a 49ers fan but had never been to a game until the saints and cardinals. All allegiances to the home teams after that.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I grew up in Orange County watching the rams , dodgers and lakers and when I moved here I started watching the local teams . For a season or two I rooted for all teams until I understood you can’t have both! Now I genuinely hate all the LA area teams !
I was in 2nd grade in 1976, all my buddies were Cowboys fans. The Cardinals played the Cowboys on MNF that season, I wanted to be different so I pulled for the Cardinals in that game. Been a Cardinals fan ever since. They moved to Phoenix the yr after I graduated H.S. took me a bit to call them the Phoenix Cardinals, it just sounded weird to me after all the yrs in St.Louis. I called them the Cardinals for the longest time lol. I drove cross country in 1994 to Phoenix for vacation, wanted to see the old west so I took the road trip instead of flying. Took me 26.5 hours to drive it from Louisville, KY. They played the Giants that Sunday night in SDS, Buddy Ryan was the coach. It's funny you mention the Dodgers & Lakers, those are my favorite teams in the NBA & MLB. Liked the Lakers since Magic Johnson's rookie yr in 1980. My papaw was a Yankees fan, they played the Dodgers in the WS in 77 & 78. To be different I pulled for the Dodgers, been a fan ever since. Flew out there this past September for the Carson Palmer ROH game, my first time in SFS. Loved every minute of it except for all the nasty "Shehawk" fans in attendance lol.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in 2nd grade in 1976, all my buddies were Cowboys fans. The Cardinals played the Cowboys on MNF that season, I wanted to be different so I pulled for the Cardinals in that game.
Must've been 1977. Exciting game with a big 4th quarter Cardiac Cards comeback win to move to 6-3 on the season. They'd go 7-3 before dropping their final 4 games, including a loss to the Buccaneers in the season finale that was also the Buccaneers' 2nd franchise win in their 2nd season. (Thank goodness they had managed their first win the week before!)

Like me, you got suckered in during the exciting Coryell years. He was fired at the end of the 1977 season. Little did we know that decades of futility would follow!

...dave

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Must've been 1977. Exciting game with a big 4th quarter Cardiac Cards comeback win to move to 6-3 on the season. They'd go 7-3 before dropping their final 4 games, including a loss to the Buccaneers in the season finale that was also the Buccaneers' 2nd franchise win in their 2nd season. (Thank goodness they had managed their first win the week before!)

Like me, you got suckered in during the exciting Coryell years. He was fired at the end of the 1977 season. Little did we know that decades of futility would follow!

...dave
It may have been 77? I know we beat the Cowboys that night & I got the last laugh at school. Yeah, after that I believe Bud Wilkinson got the Cardinals job? There was a run on successful college coaches to the NFL at that time. Wilkinson was winning at Oklahoma & McKay was winning at USC, he got the Buccaneers job the yr before in 76. Yeah, we lost that game to the Buccaneers 17-7. They beat Archie Manning's Saints team the week before like 34-13 after he ran his mouth saying they weren't going to win in New Orleans lol. They were 0-26 when they beat the Saints. I also fell in love with that Cardinal bird on our helmets back then, loved loved loved it. Broke my heart when they changed it but it grew on me, now I love it. Just want the throwback unis a few games per year now. The Cardinal is also the state bird here in Kentucky btw.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mine is pretty funny. My father had zero interest in any sports outside of cars. So growing up on a farm in the 60s, I never had much exposure to sports of any kind and when you only had one TV station that came in clear enough to watch, you didn't see many sports on TV either. My first real exposure to sports was when I got into Middle school and we started playing sports in gym class. In 1967 I developed an interest in baseball and of course followed the WORLD SERIES. I randomly picked the Cardinals over the Red Sox. Now not knowing anything about how professional sports worked, as chance would have it, St Louis had a football team by the same name so I assumed these same guys who played baseball would be playing football after the series and that is how I started following the football Cardinals and have stuck with them ever since. Blissful ignorance.