How did you become a Cardinals fan?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Germz249, Mar 22, 2020.

1. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd Registered

I’m a glutton for punishment.

2. AZCardz4L

AZCardz4L Free Agent

I was born in Wytheville, VA. In VA people either cheered for the Washington Redskins or North Carolina. My dad grew up with Gary Clark. They were pretty much brothers, they got in trouble together and played football together. Gary became my Godfather, once I was born. Little before I was born he played for Jacksonville Bulls I think was in 1984-1985, he went to the Washington Redskins, were THE POSSE (Gary Clark, Art Monk & Ricky Sanders) was created. Played for the Redskins till 1992. From there he went to the Arizona Cardinals in 1993. My Dad and Ma was going through a divorce at that time and my dad decided to move to AZ with Gary and start a new life out there, I decided to go with my dad. Plus I loved my Godfather and admire his skills on the field. Him and Gary started a Limousine Business(Gary Clark's 5th Ave limousine) once we got out here. But ever since I moved out here the Cardinals had grew on me, even with all the losing. I came from a state with no professional football team, so I guess it was kinda easy to latch on to the Cardinals and start rooting for them and plus my godfather played for them. Even when Gary left after a year to the Miami Dolphins which was 1995. I never stop being a Cardinals fan and will always be!!

Sorry for the drawn out answer, find myself going crazy with working from home and having 2 year old twins screaming and fighting all day.

3. PlanoCard

PlanoCard Free Agent

I lived in St. Louis in 1967-1968 and we had tickets to most games. I got hooked and then we moved to Dallas. It made me an even more diehard Cardinal fan seeing how spoiled Cowboy fans were/are. I have stayed loyal ever since even though it took enduring some really bad years. I still live in Dallas and try to get to some home games when I can. The highlight was seeing and beating the Eagles in the NFC Championship game in 2008.

Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  4. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Invited to an Eagles/Cards game by a classmate at Wharton's MBA for Executives, and left a Cards fan.

5. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I was going to say post more often but with you having 2 year old twins you won't have the time. :thumbup:

AZCardz4L likes this.
  6. CardLogic

CardLogic .

Sweet #17 jersey! :Dold

7. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

My family is from the Bay Area so I grew up watching Montana/Rice and Young/Rice with my grandfather so I was a Niners fan. I always rooted for the Cardinals as well as the home team. A combination of the realignment in 2002 and the Eddie' D's idiot sister running the Niners into the ground pushed me full time Cardinals.

My other grandfather was a Cowboys fan.

8. 40yearfan

40yearfan DEFENSE!!!! Contributor

Had a pick-up basketball game at my old high school (Freeburg High School) with some of the current at that time players (1962). They played basketball the same way they played football. I looked like I'd been run over by a MAC truck, but enjoyed every minute of it. That's when I got interested in the NFL and have been a Cardinal fan ever since. My always rooting for the underdog probably has been a big part in keeping me rooting for my Cardinals. Sorry but Pat Fischer is the only name I can remember.

Zeno and daves like this.
  9. NMCard

NMCard Registered User

My father transferred out to the nuke plant the same time as the Cards moved to the valley.

I had the fortune of shaking hands with Jay Novachek, Ken Harvey and Louis Sharp when I was a teen. Made a strong impression on me. Even through the bad seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  10. Delmar M Lewis

Delmar M Lewis Registered

Ok here goes when I was very young we went to the MLB allstar games in Kansas City was 1973 I believe at that time I also learned that Stl had a football team also which featured Jim Hart among others watched them flashy red and white uniforms ever since followed every draft pick from Clyde Duncan to Steve Little etc was broken hearted when they moved but my support has never wavered for the Big Red was stunned when they went to the SB disappointed they lost but over joyed and or proud they made it to the big show in my lifetime still am

PACardsFan and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  11. NYCARDS

NYCARDS Registered

Grew up (and still) in NY and Became a fan in the 1970s when Cards were in NFC East. For some reason my dad hated the Giants so I looked for a team in the division who played the Giants. Cards were a lot of fun then with Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf and that killer O-line

PACardsFan, Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  12. cardcrazy

cardcrazy Registered

Grew up in Oklahoma I was 10 in 1974. My brother and sister and I started watching NFL. Sis picked the Cowboys, Bro picked the Vikings. That left me, I chose the Cardinals who were pretty good back then. Thought I was picking a winner!?!
    Been faithful every since. Still waiting for that title 46 years later! I have to say my expectations of this staff and roster is just about as high as I can remember.
    Go Cards!

13. cardcrazy

cardcrazy Registered

The Don Coryell “Cardiac Card” days were exciting. Hart, Metcalf, Gray, Jackie Smith, Dierdorf, Dobler, Wherli. They couldn’t win in the playoffs but definitely fun to watch!

But the 2008/2009 Super Bowl run was totally awesome!! “Worst team to ever make the playoffs”, but 35 seconds from winning it all! If we never win a Super Bowl before I die, that experience will suffice!

14. Metcalf Rules

Metcalf Rules Registered

Grew up in Montana and when I was about 5 I remember seeing the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team playing on tv. They had a catcher named Tim McCarver and I thought that was cool since my name's Tim. I started following them and later found out there was a St. Louis football Cardinals. That was the begining of my football addiction. My best friend was a Cowboys fan and the Cards were still in the NFC East at the time. We had epic Roger Staubach v. Roger Wherli battles and Jim Hart v. Too Tall Jones battles. I stuck with the Cardinals even when they moved to AZ. Living and working in Bozeman, MT where Jan Stenerud used to have his celebrity golf classic, I got the opportunity to caddy for both Jim Hart and Neil Lomax. Still love the baseball Cardinals. I've only seen one NFL game and it was the Cards v. Cowboys in Dallas in 91, Cowboys crushed us. One day I will get to a game at SFS

15. clif

clif Registered

1998 when I moved here. Growing up in the south i was a 49ers fan but had never been to a game until the saints and cardinals. All allegiances to the home teams after that.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.