How did you become a Cardinals fan?

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Grew up in Montana and when I was about 5 I remember seeing the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team playing on tv. They had a catcher named Tim McCarver and I thought that was cool since my name's Tim. I started following them and later found out there was a St. Louis football Cardinals. That was the begining of my football addiction. My best friend was a Cowboys fan and the Cards were still in the NFC East at the time. We had epic Roger Staubach v. Roger Wherli battles and Jim Hart v. Too Tall Jones battles. I stuck with the Cardinals even when they moved to AZ. Living and working in Bozeman, MT where Jan Stenerud used to have his celebrity golf classic, I got the opportunity to caddy for both Jim Hart and Neil Lomax. Still love the baseball Cardinals. I've only seen one NFL game and it was the Cards v. Cowboys in Dallas in 91, Cowboys crushed us. One day I will get to a game at SFS
How bout when O J Anderson ripped them up in his 1st game Cards still lost but that was fun to watch

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Angel Gabriel appeared to me in a dream. The rest is history.

So here's the real story. My Dad grew up a diehard St. Louis Cardinals baseball fan. In Syracuse, NY no less. It was 1964, and I was 6. My Dad was a college football fan, but not really a pro football fan. Not too long after we watched the Cardinals polish off the Yankees in the WS, I saw a commercial on TV hyping an upcoming NFL game between the St. Louis Cardinals & NY Giants. I convinced my Dad that we had to become football Cardinal fans too. Somehow he bought it & the rest was history. He did torture me through the years for talking him into this, but he was the 1st phone call I got when we beat the Eagles to go to the SB.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in high school in the 1960's in southern New Mexico. Everyone was either a Cowboy or Eagle fan. The town I was in barely could afford practice jerseys for the football team, so we all made our own. I had my mom sew Crow on mine because I thought John David Crow was a cool name. I became a Cardinal fan because that's who he played for then. I played defensive end at 135lbs for the Tularosa Wildcats.. ha!

The first time I ever watched them was on a 13" black & white tv with coat hanger antenna,lol didn't pay much attention to their uniforms. The first time I saw them in color I fell in love with the white on white jerseys.

You know the rest, 55+ years!!

Edit: A personal note... I took my last drink after the 1988 game where they came back and beat the 9ers after being down 23 zip. I was thrown out of that game for puking in the stands at SDS.. I snuck back in to see the end, clean and sober 30+ years now. Nov 9, 1988

Last edited:

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow, such a long time ago. I grew up north of St. Louis and the Cards were the team that we got on TV. I'm thinking a fan since '64 or so. I remember playing catch with my buddy and pretending that we were Charley Johnson, Billy Gambrel or Bobby Jo Conrad. Wish I could remember the TV announcer. Jack Drees I think it was. I can still hear him - "Conrad wide to the left, Gambrel wide to the right".

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mine is fairly recent.

I spent 5 years growing up in San Diego and Phoenix in the late 80’s. I only got into the NFL when I returned to the UK and the Chargers were my team, I was a hardcore fan until they move to LA and broke my heart so I needed a new team. The obvious choice for me was Cardinals as I grew up in Phoenix and they were always my 2nd team. So I have gone full Cards and very bitter towards Chargers. I am now as hardcore Cardinals fan as I was Chargers

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Military family, so we moved a lot. Never lived anywhere with a home team before.

I originally followed the Cowboys, because they were my dad's team, and Dallas ruled the Arizona airways in the 60s and 70s. We lived in Texas when I first started really following the NFL, during the Staubach/Dorsett Cowboy years, so it was an easy hook.

Moved middle of my 5th grade year, and had a friend that was a huge Dolphin fan. They had a satellite dish and got most of the Miami games on. It was a huge family affair for them, and they let me spend most of my Sundays at their house watching the games with them. Somehow, I started following the Dolphins until I graduated HS and moved back to Arizona (ASU).

Decided I needed a west coast team, and that was Bozworth's rookie season. So, I dropped the Dolphins and started following the Seahawks, 'cause they were young, and I didn't want to be a front-runner 49ers fan. Of course, the Cardinals came to Arizona the following year. I intended to stay with the Seahawks as they had made the play-offs, and had some entertaining players (Boz, Largent, the other Curt Warner)...

Of course, as a new team to the valley, I watched most of the Cardinal games that inaugural season. The come-back win over the 49ers was just a classic football game, and was when I finally said screw the Seahawks.... I'm a Cardinal fan. Followed it up with my first live game the next week, against the Giants, another win.

I wavered once... Living on the East Coast with the expansion Panthers. Buddy Ryan was running the show in Arizona, and I couldn't stand him. Once the season got going though, coupled with the rise of the internet and being able to follow my Cards across the country, I've been loyal ever since.

Go Cards!!!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First game ever watched at age 9 on TV was Cards vs Skins. Jim Hart and the beautiful bird drew me in, and I never looked back. Oh, the days of Irv Cross, Brent Musburger and Jayne Kennedy.

Whole family except for my brother (Cowboys fan) are sorry eagles fans. My hatred for the home team is well documented over the years I've been a part of this board for those that don't know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson