Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Harper, who was on a two-way contract, gets waived.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

In actual basketballing news, the #Suns have waived two-way guard Jared Harper, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA. Not related to coronavirus, which is a wild-yet-appropriate thing to include during these times.

9:03 AM - 12 Mar 2020

Timing of that is quite odd. He was a long shot to make it in the NBA anyways. He was listed as a PG at 5'10" but he was only listed as a PG because of his height, his playstyle doesn't resemble that of a PG at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing of that is quite odd. He was a long shot to make it in the NBA anyways. He was listed as a PG at 5'10" but he was only listed as a PG because of his height, his playstyle doesn't resemble that of a PG at all.

Maybe it's something about saving money or adding another two-way player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe it's something about saving money or adding another two-way player.

The leagues are both suspended, NBA & G-League, so I don't see how it could save money without anyone drawing a check right now and with the leagues suspended. I don't believe they can sign anyone with the leagues being suspended but I could be wrong on that.

They still have an open contract spot if they wanted to give someone else a look. They'll have to pay Harper anyways and if they sign someone else to a Two Way deal then it'll only be for the duration of the season. Two-Way deals can not be for more than 1 season.

The G-League year ends approximately a month before the NBA season as well, it's final games were scheduled for March 28th this year, so there wasn't much time left anyway. The NAZ Suns weren't going to make the playoffs this year either so Harper only had about 2 weeks to go before he was basically done anyway.

Harper might have asked for his release because he wanted to sign with another league. That's just a guess on my part but it would make the most sense based on the timing. The Suns aren't saving money by cutting him this late, his deal was already guaranteed for the season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The leagues are both suspended, NBA & G-League, so I don't see how it could save money without anyone drawing a check right now and with the leagues suspended. I don't believe they can sign anyone with the leagues being suspended but I could be wrong on that.

They still have an open contract spot if they wanted to give someone else a look. They'll have to pay Harper anyways and if they sign someone else to a Two Way deal then it'll only be for the duration of the season. Two-Way deals can not be for more than 1 season.

The G-League year ends approximately a month before the NBA season as well, it's final games were scheduled for March 28th this year, so there wasn't much time left anyway. The NAZ Suns weren't going to make the playoffs this year either so Harper only had about 2 weeks to go before he was basically done anyway.

Harper might have asked for his release because he wanted to sign with another league. That's just a guess on my part but it would make the most sense based on the timing. The Suns aren't saving money by cutting him this late, his deal was already guaranteed for the season.

Teams of the Chinese Basketball Association are wanting players to report now for preparation of games starting in April. This might be it.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
3/12/20, 11:59 AM
I’m told #Suns players, staff, traveling party are all staying home today (yesterday was an off day after the late-night flight home from Portland). Friday, all organization employees will work from home again while Talking Stick Resort Arena undergoes deep sanitation.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure who watched this but it really calls all of these "analysts" into question. Candace Parker says Detroit overlooked Booker in the draft and selected Luke Kennard instead. Too bad Kennard was selected in a completely different draft.

Wade mentions how Booker will look and see his friends winning elsewhere and that could cause him to ask out but his 2 best friends aren't winning in Minnesota.

Shaq speaks in cliches and says nothing of note. He does say he agrees with Wade and Candace's points though, which aren't based in reality.

Right there with you, Wade also didn't do anything until Shaq came along so...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Right there with you, Wade also didn't do anything until Shaq came along so...

Wade won a playoff series his rookie year but it was the East. Regardless everyone knew he was going to be special (not that it validates his views on Book’s situation).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wade won a playoff series his rookie year but it was the East. Regardless everyone knew he was going to be special (not that it validates his views on Book’s situation).

Yeah I really thought that young (ish) trio of Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Wade were going to grow into a regular championship contender. Keep in mind, that was Odom finally removed from the temptations of LA and he was showing why he had been such a highly recruited player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah I really thought that young (ish) trio of Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Wade were going to grow into a regular championship contender. Keep in mind, that was Odom finally removed from the temptations of LA and he was showing why he had been such a highly recruited player.

I remember thinking it might backfire considering Shaq’s accumulation of lingering foot issues but it worked out. Of course he was butthurt from the Lakers choosing Kobe and came to the Heat in shape and motivated. He could’ve easily beat Nash for the MVP that first year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns announce plan to pay workers.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Suns officially announce that they will provide financial compensation to the part-time and hourly arena workers for the 6 remaining home games on the schedule and the other TSRA events that were canceled.

6:27 PM - 13 Mar 2020

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Suns announce plan to pay workers.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Suns officially announce that they will provide financial compensation to the part-time and hourly arena workers for the 6 remaining home games on the schedule and the other TSRA events that were canceled.

6:27 PM - 13 Mar 2020
I honestly expected Sarver to be one of the last ones to agree on this. Good on him.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just got an email that the Suns will be mirroring season live on NBA 2k20 switch. What does this mean? Can I watch? I'm hoping main Street or hoop head can break this down for me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just got an email that the Suns will be mirroring season live on NBA 2k20 switch. What does this mean? Can I watch? I'm hoping main Street or hoop head can break this down for me.

All I really know is that the Suns will be simulating the remaining games using NBA 2k20 and airing the results on Twitch. Twitch is basically Youtube for video games.

It seems like a cash grab. You can watch Twitch without a subscription but you can't subscribe to channels without a subscription, so you need to remember when new shows will be on without the assistance of notifications. Twitch Plus, or whatever it's called, comes free with an Amazon Prime membership though. I don't believe you'll need that though unless you just have to participate in the chat there.

It might be interesting if they got a gamer from each team to play rather than just letting the CPU control both teams but that would wear thin quick, IMO. I'm not a fan of watching others play video games but if we saw Booker playing Doncic, for example, and trash talking each other then it could make for an entertaining 10-15 minutes.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
All I really know is that the Suns will be simulating the remaining games using NBA 2k20 and airing the results on Twitch. Twitch is basically Youtube for video games.

It seems like a cash grab. You can watch Twitch without a subscription but you can't subscribe to channels without a subscription, so you need to remember when new shows will be on without the assistance of notifications. Twitch Plus, or whatever it's called, comes free with an Amazon Prime membership though. I don't believe you'll need that though unless you just have to participate in the chat there.

It might be interesting if they got a gamer from each team to play rather than just letting the CPU control both teams but that would wear thin quick, IMO. I'm not a fan of watching others play video games but if we saw Booker playing Doncic, for example, and trash talking each other then it could make for an entertaining 10-15 minutes.

If you follow a channel then you get an email when that channel goes live. You don't need to subscribe unless you want to support the channel, want an ad free viewing experience and want to be able to talk in chat when it is set to subscriber only mode (which a lot of the big channels or streamers do because Twitch chat can be toxic at times). If the channel supports it, you can also get unique emoticons based on the channel when you subscribe to use in the Twitch chat. The free subscription that comes with Amazon Prime is called Twitch Prime and can only be used once per month.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sports teams across the spectrum now have egaming teams too... and by "teams" it is typically one guy who is really good at the game and lives vaguely around the area the team plays.

It is a video game player, sponsored by the Suns, playing as the Suns on NBA2k, on twitch.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That ruins it for me. It should be AI vs AI. I don't want the stickman's skill to enter into it.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think I just got my answer. Tonight at 6 pm Ty Jerome will be playing video game NBA against Josh Okogie. I miss basketball, but I'll pass.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker donates $100,000 to Suns charities.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member