TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No sports for at least a month. Sweet. Life’s gonna suck for a while

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I liken Gobert's stunt equivalent to shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre.
Or a thief who points a gun in a convenience store holdup, even if it isn't loaded.

It is antisocial and a criminal offense. For that, he should be arrested and charged.
And certainly banished from the NBA for life.

If he didn't know he had the coronavirus, it was still intent to threaten the health
concerns of the Press by intimidation.

And if he had symptoms, and was looking to get even, it is even worse.
Especially with a teammate then being diagnosed.

Gobert should not get away with it because he is a "celebrity". That does
not allow him to cross the line.

This is not about making an example of him by charging him with an offense.

The example (and a bad one at that) would be if he is not punished for it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liken Gobert's stunt equivalent to shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theatre.
Or a thief who points a gun in a convenience store holdup, even if it isn't loaded.

It is antisocial and a criminal offense. For that, he should be arrested and charged.

If he didn't know he had the coronavirus, it was still intent to threaten the health

I'd agree with all this except we still had idiots in the government and a news (ha) network telling everyone it was fake news or nothing more than a flu or cold at the time that he did that. It was juvenile and stupid of him but it doesn't happen if we'd been telling the truth about the risks. And I don't see how you can punish him and ignore the millions of people that actually know they are sick but still go to work, go to the movies and so on.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

Haha thats funny, by that logic anyone who is traveling and may be exposed to it should be arrested for coming back into the country, or maybe a worker who thinks he just has the common cold and goes to work anyways should lose there job. His joke which everyone at the time laughed at by the way was a little irresponsible. You're comparison for his offense is beyond ridiculous, nothing legal is going to happen to him and nothing should happen to him. We don't arrest people for spreading the flu we aren't going to for this

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd agree with all this except we still had idiots in the government and a news (ha) network telling everyone it was fake news or nothing more than a flu or cold at the time that he did that. It was juvenile and stupid of him but it doesn't happen if we'd been telling the truth about the risks. And I don't see how you can punish him and ignore the millions of people that actually know they are sick but still go to work, go to the movies and so on.

I agree with Steve. What Rudy did was immature, idiotic and downright dangerous. But you cannot charge him unless you also charge the media pundits and politicians who have been mocking this for weeks on TV. Hearing and reading bad information that was down playing the seriousness of this is likely what led Rudy to be such a dufus.

Now... one group I think SHOULD be charged are these faith healers and clowns selling their miracle cures. Jim Bakker, of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker fame, is selling his own cure, that he also claims cures HIV. People are undoubtedly buying this garbage in lieu of seeking real treatment, not only endangering their own lives but anyone who comes in contact with them. The people peddling that crap should be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It’s essentially reckless endangerment. It’s like shooting billets into the air around a crowd. If one plummets to earth and kills someone the shooter is responsible. I think same should hold true here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was Rudy infected when he pulled his "joke" at the press podium? I've heard it theorized that he could have caught it there, which would be some fast acting karma.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Was Rudy infected when he pulled his "joke" at the press podium? I've heard it theorized that he could have caught it there, which would be some fast acting karma.

If he was knowingly infected he wouldn’t have been allowed in contact with anyone. Up until 48 hrs ago a lot of athletes thought was nothing that extreme so there’s was probably some messing around by players that we didn’t see.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read the earliest someone with the corona virus would show symptoms is five days.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It’s essentially reckless endangerment. It’s like shooting billets into the air around a crowd. If one plummets to earth and kills someone the shooter is responsible. I think same should hold true here.
And he made a mockery of a very serious matter. People are dying. Economies are suffering. Jobs are being affected.

And, on the lighter side, sports leagues and entertainment venues are shutting down. It is a major worldwide tragedy.

A jock putting on a stupid show in front of the camera needs to be held accountable. Fame is a responsibility.

And the sad part? He was probably spurred on by politicians pretending there is no problem.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Held accountable for a joke? He didn't know he had it! People joke about diseases and illnesses all the time , can anyone hear honestly say they've never said a joke about being sick for work the next day or being "sick" for class? That's not any different from what he did , it was a mistake, he's sorry, that's it !

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rudy Gobert will not be fined or suspended by the league. I'm glad that's been made official. He made a bad joke, that's it. I'm sure he feels pretty bad about it and not just because he's feeling the effects of the virus right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Held accountable for a joke? He didn't know he had it! People joke about diseases and illnesses all the time , can anyone hear honestly say they've never said a joke about being sick for work the next day or being "sick" for class? That's not any different from what he did , it was a mistake, he's sorry, that's it !
Said a joke? Sure. Done something that can literally put others at risk as a joke? Nope. I CAN honestly say that. I would hope more people could as well. It’s called being a responsible good person. If one of those reporters caught it from him and unknowingly met with a loved one with respiratory problems and passes it along and that person dies is damn straight Gobert’s fault. Guess what wouldn’t have lead to the death, Gobert being responsible. If he wanted to be funny tell a joke about it. It would still be in bad taste, but it wouldn’t put anyone’s life at risk. Your defense of him and dismissal of his actions is quite frankly repulsive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rudy Gobert will not be fined or suspended by the league. I'm glad that's been made official. He made a bad joke, that's it. I'm sure he feels pretty bad about it and not just because he's feeling the effects of the virus right now.

But it’s not a bad joke. Would be a bad joke if not knowing whether I had CV or not I spit in your hamburger? Or shot a gun into air over your head and the heads of your family? This wasn’t a bad joke. This was a physical action that any of us have to realize could put others at risk. Like I said, want to funny? Tell a dumb joke. Don’t do what exactly what health professionals are telling you NOT to do.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Said a joke? Sure. Done something that can literally put others at risk as a joke? Nope. I CAN honestly say that. I would hope more people could as well. It’s called being a responsible good person. If one of those reporters caught it from him and unknowingly met with a loved one with respiratory problems and passes it along and that person dies is damn straight Gobert’s fault. Guess what wouldn’t have lead to the death, Gobert being responsible. If he wanted to be funny tell a joke about it. It would still be in bad taste, but it wouldn’t put anyone’s life at risk. Your defense of him and dismissal of his actions is quite frankly repulsive.
As I've said in a previous comment how is this any different then a person who thinks they only have a cold going into work instead of calling out sick and infecting people, should they be punished as well? There was no malintent in his actions , it was a stupid thing to do but to suggest something such as he should be banned from the NBA as someone else said is ridiculous and a major overreaction

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suspending anything is a joke. The virus will get wherever however. Even after people quarantine themselves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've said in a previous comment how is this any different then a person who thinks they only have a cold going into work instead of calling out sick and infecting people, should they be punished as well? There was no malintent in his actions , it was a stupid thing to do but to suggest something such as he should be banned from the NBA as someone else said is ridiculous and a major overreaction

if a person with a cold walked in and started PURPOSEFULLY sneezing right in people's faces, yeah... that person would get punished.

the CDC and every doctor had CLEARLY SAID KEEP TOUCHING TO A MINIMUM and that you might be a carrier even if not showing symptoms. Anyone who goes around and starts touching a whole bunch of stuff that isn't theirs... on PURPOSE, whether they know they have the virus or not... is at the very least being an incredible a-hole and at worst contributing to the spread of the virus.

i don't think he should get banned from the league, but actions in society SHOULD STILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES. His was risky whether he was aware he was a carrier or not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspending anything is a joke. The virus will get wherever however. Even after people quarantine themselves.

But it's not a joke, far from it. The big concern is too many sick people at the same time; suspending these gatherings and other similar steps will slow down the growth of this epidemic. It may not reduce the number of people that get it but if we can spread the problem out over 6 months instead of 1 month, a lot of lives will be saved because of it. And I'm not just talking about saving infected people, it will save the lives of people that need medical help for a host of other problems.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But it's not a joke, far from it. The big concern is too many sick people at the same time; suspending these gatherings and other similar steps will slow down the growth of this epidemic. It may not reduce the number of people that get it but if we can spread the problem out over 6 months instead of 1 month, a lot of lives will be saved because of it. And I'm not just talking about saving infected people, it will save the lives of people that need medical help for a host of other problems.
Exactly. That meme about “flattening” the curve is exactly about this.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
if a person with a cold walked in and started PURPOSEFULLY sneezing right in people's faces, yeah... that person would get punished.

the CDC and every doctor had CLEARLY SAID KEEP TOUCHING TO A MINIMUM and that you might be a carrier even if not showing symptoms. Anyone who goes around and starts touching a whole bunch of stuff that isn't theirs... on PURPOSE, whether they know they have the virus or not... is at the very least being an incredible a-hole and at worst contributing to the spread of the virus.

i don't think he should get banned from the league, but actions in society SHOULD STILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES. His was risky whether he was aware he was a carrier or not.
And, as I alluded to in a previous post, I was repulsed seeing Gobert strutting around in front of the Press, making a mockery out of touching their equipment. Making fun of infecting it.

Total lack of respect for the issue and the people who have died or are suffering from it. A stupid ballplayer gloating that he had the power to make others sick.
He didn't test positive until afterwards, but we'll never know if he had the symptoms when he put on his little show. And, even if not, it was intimidation.

Just as if he was cocking his thumb and index finger pretending to shoot someone. Same mentality. That is not macho! That's abusive behavior.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But it’s not a bad joke. Would be a bad joke if not knowing whether I had CV or not I spit in your hamburger? Or shot a gun into air over your head and the heads of your family? This wasn’t a bad joke. This was a physical action that any of us have to realize could put others at risk. Like I said, want to funny? Tell a dumb joke. Don’t do what exactly what health professionals are telling you NOT to do.

He tapped a phone and you want to equate that to spitting in my food or shooting a gun over someone's head? Way to blow things out of proportion.

It wasn't like he was rumored to have it and then pulled his stunt, if that was the case then I could see calling for a stiff penalty but that's not what happened. He wasn't showing any symptoms and the setup with how he was talking to the media was the same as it was for every other player in the league. Did he act like an a-hole? Yes, but he's apologized for that and that's really all he can do now. No one is giving him a pass for that, he's an a-hole. I don't think he should lose his livelihood for that though. He's sitting in quarantine himself right now, dealing with the virus firsthand. Him being infected isn't enough though, apparently, and I disagree with that. Prior to this incident, he wasn't the only person who wasn't taking this seriously. He's just who is in the crosshairs now when if he didn't test positive, I doubt anyone would still be talking about him.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
People forget that humor is a common coping mechanism, no one is saying it wasn't stupid but watch the video people were laughing , most people are able to separate reality from a joke , he was just trying to be funny he wasn't making light of the fact people are dying , I have no problem with him trying to bring in humor to lighten the mood

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I vehemently disagree. China, through strict levels of quarantine, slowed the spread of this virus. Even if you don't believe their numbers the stats of South Korea and Taiwan show the power of early diagnosis and quarantine.

If we went through our lives as normal and let this disease run its course through society, not only would we see a massive portion of our elderly and at risk population die (and at risk in this case means people with things like asthma) but you'd see this disease become a seasonal disease that evolves like the flu. A virus, so prevalent on a massive scale, that we would have to adapt to it, rather than some rare occurrence.

If we allow it to, by pretending it is not a threat, this will become a plague. We should take every measure to prevent it from doing so.