Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Monty in Philly when this kid was there? Maybe he knows something. ie Work ethic, intangibles? He has played some backup PG as well. Could be a replacement for Dario.

They were together last year. I forgot about that connection but I bet that's why they're bringing him in.

It's nice to see players brought in who have a history with the coach because that should get them some playing time, there shouldn't be a feeling out period.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Jonah Bolden.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Was Monty in Philly when this kid was there? Maybe he knows something. ie Work ethic, intangibles? He has played some backup PG as well. Could be a replacement for Dario.
That's a pretty tall PG! :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Listening to Gambo today, and the Suns all in on spending money this off season. He thinks a trade at PF for Aaron Gordon, Lauri Markkanen, or picking up Danilo Galinari. Sounded more like speculation on his part than any Suns insider tidbits.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gallinari would be a great addition to this team.

At least the Suns wouldn't have to give up assets to get him although he will be 32 before the start of next season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least the Suns wouldn't have to give up assets to get him although he will be 32 before the start of next season.
He is still quite effective and having an older player on this team would not be a bad thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is still quite effective and having an older player on this team would not be a bad thing.

Let me say I like Gallinari but I would prefer a younger player to grow with the team. A lot would depend on the contract.

The Suns had older players in Ariza and Baynes but it has not worked out well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me say I like Gallinari but I would prefer a younger player to grow with the team. A lot would depend on the contract.

The Suns had older players in Ariza and Baynes but it has not worked out well.

Baynes, stat wise, is having the best year of his career. He just couldn't hold up to the minutes we asked of him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Baynes has been really good for Ayton's development. He is constantly talking with him during the game, even while he has been out injured.

I have nothing but good things to say about Baynes but it has not worked out well this season.

Richaun Holmes has had injury problems as well but he has another year on his contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have nothing but good things to say about Baynes but it has not worked out well this season.

Richaun Holmes has had injury problems as well but he has another year on his contract.

I think Ayton's development takes priority, by a wide margin. His all around game has grown far more rapidly than anyone thought possible. I think Baynes and Mark Bryant have everything to do with it.

It just sucks that Baynes took that ugly spill in the first Laker game or I don't think anyone would care in the least how Holmes was playing.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If all Baynes did was sit on the bench and help Ayton develop it was worth it. But imo we got much more outta him. Holmes is not the teaching type yet.

Now we need to find a hard nosed center that kicks ass under the basket and spends time at the ft line to rub off on Ayton.
Like Phrazbit said look how quickly Ayton is coming along, there are centers that have gone their whole career without going for 30 pts or 19 rebounds.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If all Baynes did was sit on the bench and help Ayton develop it was worth it. But imo we got much more outta him. Holmes is not the teaching type yet.

Now we need to find a hard nosed center that kicks ass under the basket and spends time at the ft line to rub off on Ayton.
Like Phrazbit said look how quickly Ayton is coming along, there are centers that have gone their whole career without going for 30 pts or 19 rebounds.
Hopefully he can develop more on the other end. He's only had a hand full of games he's legitimately impacted on that end. Suns haven't improved enough after some early success (without him).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Suns addition of Jonah Bolden. He has only played one game with the Suns but he brings more height, athleticism and shooting to C/F position. If he continues to show something I hope the Suns sign him to more than a 10-day contract. Maybe he can be a depth player for next season.

It would be great to look at another free agent as well but the Suns have 17 players under contract. Jared Harper and Tariq Owens are on two-way contracts.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Suns addition of Jonah Bolden. He has only played one game with the Suns but he brings more height, athleticism and shooting to C/F position. If he continues to show something I hope the Suns sign him to more than a 10-day contract. Maybe he can be a depth player for next season.

It would be great to look at another free agent as well but the Suns have 17 players under contract. Jared Harper and Tariq Owens are on two-way contracts.

I would be very surprised if either Harper or Owens is brought back next year, even on Two-Way deals. Harper is too small and Owens just sucks.

I hope Bolden is retained though, I'm a fan already. He brings more than Diallo to the table. Keeping him would make sense based on what both Monty and James Jones said about filling that roster spot as well. They said they're not looking for a rental or short term bandaid, they want someone that can help now with the potential to stick around and be part of the team going forward.

Just to note, Bolden is in his 2nd year and as a 2nd year player he is eligible to be signed to a Two-Way contract next season, if he and the team decide to go that way. We'll see what happens there. I'm glad that's a possibility still. If a player has played in less than 3 seasons they can sign a Two-Way deal. CBA FAQ on Two-Way deals, for reference on that less than 3 seasons.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if either Harper or Owens is brought back next year, even on Two-Way deals. Harper is too small and Owens just sucks.

I hope Bolden is retained though, I'm a fan already. He brings more than Diallo to the table. Keeping him would make sense based on what both Monty and James Jones said about filling that roster spot as well. They said they're not looking for a rental or short term bandaid, they want someone that can help now with the potential to stick around and be part of the team going forward.

Just to note, Bolden is in his 2nd year and as a 2nd year player he is eligible to be signed to a Two-Way contract next season, if he and the team decide to go that way. We'll see what happens there. I'm glad that's a possibility still. If a player has played in less than 3 seasons they can sign a Two-Way deal. CBA FAQ on Two-Way deals, for reference on that less than 3 seasons.

Agree with you about Harper and Owens. I'd like some players on two-way contracts that can play in an emergency and possibly develop for the future.

I'm very happy with what I have seen of Diallo as a depth player. The same with Bolden thus far. Providing there is not slippage, I'd like to have them both back next year as the 14-15 players on the roster. I guess Lecque falls into the category of a deep roster player as well. The Suns need athletes at the 4/5.

Maybe the Suns can sign Bolden to one of those multiyear contract with team options. I don't want to lose him at this point based on what I have seen. Wish the Suns could kick the tires on another player.