Is Kingsbury the Real Deal

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, great play caller, just has to improve the situational poo.

With a decent OL and fast weapons, the sky is the limit for this team. If Kiem can do his job somewhat right. Things could get very interesting quickly

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I continue to think about this topic. One thing that needs to change seems to be his reliance on short throws at or behind the LOS.

Many have taken notice, and I think this discussion should continue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny. I had few if any problems with offensive scheme, playcalling or play design, and felt most of the teams' problems stemmed from faulty execution.

Lack of interest in defense and deference to VJ didn't bother me, so long as everyone signed off on that arrangement...and it worked.

The transition to KK's style leaves us with a fairly effective offense that still needs to be tightened up and a defense with tackling and coverage flaws (which should be addressed via personnel upgrades at several positions).

I think KK has put us in a position to win half or more of our 2020 games - injuries and the way the ball bounces determining whether we sneak into the playoffs.

Bottom line - I think we may be a tad too impatient. Remember where we've come from (i.e. the Wilks House of Meh).

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Funny. I had few if any problems with offensive scheme, playcalling or play design, and felt most of the teams' problems stemmed from faulty execution.

Lack of interest in defense and deference to VJ didn't bother me, so long as everyone signed off on that arrangement...and it worked.

The transition to KK's style leaves us with a fairly effective offense that still needs to be tightened up and a defense with tackling and coverage flaws (which should be addressed via personnel upgrades at several positions).

I think KK has put us in a position to win half or more of our 2020 games - injuries and the way the ball bounces determining whether we sneak into the playoffs.

Bottom line - I think we may be a tad too impatient. Remember where we've come from (i.e. the Wilks House of Meh).
I think Wilks' abysmal coaching is the only reason many are giving Kingsbury a pass for what is still not very good coaching. Sure, in comparison Kingsbury is the clear winner. In comparison to the rest of the league, it's difficult to make the argument he places in the top half.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I felt his schemes were sound, and his ability to plan week over week was strong.

My main issue is sort of a chicken or an egg argument.....

What was the issue? Protection or horizontal throws? Maybe it's a bit of both? Only time will tell.

I can tell you, it was frustrating to not see much verticality in our offense. 10 to 12 personnel shifts are great, and so is misdirection. But we need more chunk plays and chunk play calls.

Reaction score
We had no problem moving the ball against one of the top defenses in the league that went on to play in the SB. Our problem last year was defense & lack of talent on that side of the ball mostly due to injuries. I believe KK will end up becoming one of the top coaches in the league. He's willing to change & adjust his offense vs a ''the system works'' kind of coach.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Wilks' abysmal coaching is the only reason many are giving Kingsbury a pass for what is still not very good coaching. Sure, in comparison Kingsbury is the clear winner. In comparison to the rest of the league, it's difficult to make the argument he places in the top half.

I am

*corrected that for you.

What's difficult to understand is the refusal to note the tremendous improvement of the offence in KK's year one.

And please don't trot out his overall record in College... it's tired and irrelevant.

What's is of importance is how he handled and handles an offence.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am

*corrected that for you.

What's difficult to understand is the refusal to note the tremendous improvement of the offence in KK's year one.

And please don't trot out his overall record in College... it's tired and irrelevant.

That wouldn't be correcting me in the way you think you are. I am not giving Kliff a pass. Many are, across the board.

The offense was middle of the pack. The defense was last. We picked 8th in the draft, because we didn't win games. Winning games is all that matters in a head coach. He made some poor coaching decisions as well throughout the season. Kingsbury is not an offensive coordinator, so if his offense is good but we can't win games, he will have to go at some point. It's as simple as that.

As I said in another thread, I think the talent is here for him to get us to a few playoff games in the coming years. If he doesn't, it's really alarming. I don't think he will win us a championship, though. I'll root for him to do so.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am

*corrected that for you.

What are you comparing it to? Is it the 2018 offense?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kliff took a talented but only one year full experience college QB to achieve rookie of the year and has made people take notice. Kliff took an abysmal running team and made them a running team past what one expected from him as an offense. Yeah, there is some credence to him having a bright offensive mind. The most important domino in falling to success is having a franchise QB... so far the Cardinals have made the right choice :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that if anyone wants to be objective in evaluating KK that they'll have to wait for a year or two. That's assuming that we'll be back to normal in 2021.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Certainly there is ample reason for hope but still a reason for some caution. I thought he displayed flexibility and adapted well to needed change. Early on he was overly cautious with Murray’s running. He called too many dink’s & dunks. He was terrible most of the year in the red zone. He finally showed some play design creativity late in the season.

The change in RB helped. He figured out what the tight end could do and then got one who could help in the red zone.

He struggled with game management taking foolish chances and having no sense of clock management. I expect to see quite a bit of growth in year 2, though the offseason prep scheduled is a disaster.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I felt his schemes were sound, and his ability to plan week over week was strong.

My main issue is sort of a chicken or an egg argument.....

What was the issue? Protection or horizontal throws? Maybe it's a bit of both? Only time will tell.

I can tell you, it was frustrating to not see much verticality in our offense. 10 to 12 personnel shifts are great, and so is misdirection. But we need more chunk plays and chunk play calls.
Watching all the game film you could see Kyler not recognizing open wrs down field. Now it looked like they weren't his 1st option, but still there were plays to be made.

I think part of it is a lack of trust in the oline so maybe they wanted him to just hit who is open first just to get the ball out of his hands quickly.

Gotta hope the Oline improves/Kyler recognizes it better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jury is still out. Can we at least get some consistent results before going one way or the other?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Reading the article you sense the shortfall of Kingsbury. He self admittedly doesn't seem to care much what the defense is doing and tries to dictate to the defense what his offense is doing. The problem with that is when he runs across a defense that is well prepared for what he is doing or whose strength is in direct opposition to what he is trying to do on offense, he doesn't have much of a sense on how to counteract it because he's probably not familiar with what the defense is doing. I think what Carolina did is a blue print for other teams to contain his offense. The Jets were just so bad it didn't matter. It will be interesting to see what the Cowboys do tonight on defense.

The other thing I noticed in the article, was when it talked about Manziel and keeping the offense simple for him may have worked well in college but once Manizel got to the pros, he struggled his first couple years because he was behind the 8 ball. He now seems to be catching up. I think he's doing the same with Murray.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That came up in my google feed yesterday and I got to the 2nd or third paragraph and gave up out of boredom.