Is Kingsbury the Real Deal

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
And Kliff barely had 2 winning seasons in 7. He also has won 44% of his games as HC.

You’re really going to compare the 2 coaches? Let’s be real here on who would likely have a better shot at turning the Cardinals into World Champions. Riley has a track record of winning & success, Kliff doesn’t. I know who I’d rather roll the dice with & it ain’t even close!!!

Bottom line is some coaches aren’t HC material, but better served as coordinators. Kliff may turn into a diamond in the rough but I just don’t see it.

Hell my HS buddy Todd Graham has done more with same or lesser talent at Rice, Pitt, Tulsa & ASU. Now he’s at Hawaii
Lincoln Riley has yet to win a playoff game. In fact, his teams have pretty much been blown out in all of them. This is also a school where, outside of Texas, will get the best talent in the B12 no matter what.

Why are we acting like he’s God?

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What has he really won? Conference titles? He should with all the talent OU brings in every year & Texas being down.

Built? He didn’t build OU. OU was already a consistently good team before he got there. Not even rebuild. Hell, what Rhule did Baylor is arguably more impressive what Riley did at OU. Rebuilding a program from the ground up after the scandal to a 11 win season with supremely less talent compared to OU.

I’m not comparing Kliff to Lincoln. Folks just need to stop acting like he’s God & built Kansas or something. Oklahoma has had the most talent go to their school in the B12 before he got there. They will have the most talent go their after he leaves, too.

Hey man, dont let facts ruin a good argument.

That Bob Stoops guy really sucked!

OU gets more top recruits every year than Texas Tech gets in 5.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How about holding off judgement until YOU deem this roster is adequate?
Why would I hold off judgement? I want this team to become something worth watching again. It hasn't been in four years, coming up on five. And Keim's to blame.

I'm not sure how invested you are. Win or lose, no big deal, hope they get better, there's always next year... Which is fine... it's not for me. It's my primary hobby. I don't mean to call out your fandom, I know you love the team, but I don't get how you're not steaming mad about where this team is.

Maybe I should have a marriage, family, whatever to focus on, but I don't. And so I get mad when my main hobby is all but unwatchable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have to be clear that Kliff is the Head Coach, not the OC.

Kyler playing well and the offense looking more attractive isn't the measure of a good HC. It's game management, clock management, situational awareness, offensive AND defensive play calling (while Kliff of course isn't calling defensive plays he should be setting the general direction of travel), clutch play calling etc etc and that's just the on field stuff. There's a hundred other things off the field too.

I feel like some fans are judging him on 5% of his job description and ignoring the other 95%. Offensive play design is a very minor part of the equation and something I would easily sacrifice to have someone great at the other 95% because play design you could farm out to an OC.

The truth is, Kliff would probably make a great OC. He's nowhere near a good HC yet.

But he showed enough potential to be intriguing and I'm willing to get behind him for now. But next season is going to be crucial. There has to be some marked development in a lot of areas.

P.S Frankly, we are stuck with him. Changing HC in any QB's development period is bad enough. Taking Kyler out of a scheme he's played all his life and asking him to work with a HC that's a Erhard Perkins or West Coast guy would probably be a disaster.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Kliff barely had 2 winning seasons in 7. He also has won 44% of his games as HC.

You’re really going to compare the 2 coaches? Let’s be real here on who would likely have a better shot at turning the Cardinals into World Champions. Riley has a track record of winning & success, Kliff doesn’t. I know who I’d rather roll the dice with & it ain’t even close!!!

Bottom line is some coaches aren’t HC material, but better served as coordinators. Kliff may turn into a diamond in the rough but I just don’t see it.

Hell my HS buddy Todd Graham has done more with same or lesser talent at Rice, Pitt, Tulsa & ASU. Now he’s at Hawaii
Alright, that post just went over your head.

Just read my next few posts towards Solar.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are supposed to judge him on one season? WTH?!?!?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How about judging him on the fact that he never won anything in college either?

I hate to keep making the real life business analogies, but if you had complete transparency into a person's failures as a CEO for a small company, would you bring him in to be a CEO of a Fortune 500, watch him fail in essentially the exact same way, and say "oh let's just give him another year?"

The way Kingsbury fell upward is unprecedented.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would I hold off judgement? I want this team to become something worth watching again. It hasn't been in four years, coming up on five. And Keim's to blame.

I'm not sure how invested you are. Win or lose, no big deal, hope they get better, there's always next year... Which is fine... it's not for me. It's my primary hobby. I don't mean to call out your fandom, I know you love the team, but I don't get how you're not steaming mad about where this team is.

Maybe I should have a marriage, family, whatever to focus on, but I don't. And so I get mad when my main hobby is all but unwatchable.
When I say hold off judgement I’m mainly talking about judging kingsbury until he gets a decent roster.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You can judge his one season on one season.

Same way as if you were commissioned to paint a portrait of the president and the first part of your work looked like a 3 years old had an epileptic fit you could safely judge what the whole is going to look like.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hate to keep making the real life business analogies, but if you had complete transparency into a person's failures as a CEO for a small company, would you bring him in to be a CEO of a Fortune 500, watch him fail in essentially the exact same way, and say "oh let's just give him another year?"

The Cardinals were thinking outside of the box when they hired KK as their head coach.

Obviously the Cards were not looking at his overall record as a HC in college as a reason to hire him. Clearly the reason that they hired him was for his "Offensive Mind" and their hope that he could help turn around the worst offense in the league.

I don't think your example of real life business is accurate. There are many Corporate Boards who are taking chances on young CEOs with no previous experience. These companies are looking for a leader who embraces new technology and are innovative. They also are looking for leaders who can adapt and have an open mind. I see a lot of that with KK.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I read this article and came away with the impression that Kingsbury focused on the parts he liked doing and pretty much blew off the things that didn't catch his interest.

He may not need to recruit in the NFL like was required in college however he still needs to meet with free agents. Is that something that may not tickle his fancy?

As the HC, he needs to be involved with the entire team, not just the offense which after this article gives credence to the rumors that he rarely spent much time on that side of the ball.

If anything, this gives me more pause about him having the ability to lead this team to the playoffs and Super bowl.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I read this article and came away with the impression that Kingsbury focused on the parts he liked doing and pretty much blew off the things that didn't catch his interest.

He may not need to recruit in the NFL like was required in college however he still needs to meet with free agents. Is that something that may not tickle his fancy?

As the HC, he needs to be involved with the entire team, not just the offense which after this article gives credence to the rumors that he rarely spent much time on that side of the ball.

If anything, this gives me more pause about him having the ability to lead this team to the playoffs and Super bowl.
Pump the brakes on SB talk. Let’s see if he can get us too .500. That’d be an accomplishment for him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't care. That was college and a different game. I will judge him on his performance at this level and it's still just a dumb to do it after one season.

Oh...I love your analogy too. I worked in at least two companies where the new CEO had a horrible year after taking over for someone only to turn the company fortunes around within the first few years.

Thanks for that example.

P.S. I wasn't high on this higher one bit. I just think the dramatic overreaction is a bit over the top. I would like to see how he does next season.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't care. That was college and a different game. I will judge him on his performance at this level and it's still just a dumb to do it after one season.

Oh...I love your analogy too. I worked in at least two companies where the new CEO had a horrible year after taking over for someone only to turn the company fortunes around within the first few years.

Thanks for that example.

P.S. I wasn't high on this higher one bit. I just think the dramatic overreaction is a bit over the top. I would like to see how he does next season.
As was brought up, do you not care because he's our coach, or because you have evidence he's good?

Your resume is what it is. Also, I'm not saying a CEO has to have an amazing opening year, of course implementing one's vision takes a while. But would you hire a bad CEO who couldn't succeed at a lower level to turn things around, and then defend him when he didn't?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was brought up, do you not care because he's our coach, or because you have evidence he's good?

Your resume is what it is. Also, I'm not saying a CEO has to have an amazing opening year, of course implementing one's vision takes a while. But would you hire a bad CEO who couldn't succeed at a lower level to turn things around, and then defend him when he didn't?

Neither. I think there are a number of factors that play into a team winning games. Coaching is one part. I have worked with all kinds of leaders. Some better at something than others. Some hired for specific tangibles.

I questioned the hire myself. That is separate from what happens after he gets the job. If the team gradually improves and doesn't regress great. If the team goes backwards? Great call for his head. I won't argue.

Last edited:

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
KK's RED ZONE offense in 2019 sucked. The guy can quite often move the ball real well between the 20's, but it's like they run into an invisible wall in the red zone. He HAS to get that fixed. (Hopefully Butler will help there.)

He and the offense looked comical, sad or clueless trying to run a 2 minute O. He and KM HAVE to get that fixed. They looked like the Keystone cops out there.

If KK fails to get those 2 things squared away for 2020 you can color me unimpressed with just his offensive prowess.

If he and Keim focus efforts this spring toward improving this D's talent that would go a long way toward showing me that KK is making the right steps toward being an NFL HC and not just thinking about the offense.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
At least we can move the ball now. RZ offense is about efficiency and repetition. I'm sure we will get better at that. Rookie QBs struggle most in the RZ when the field gets short, so that alone should naturally improve.

2 minute offense is another issue. Again, it's tough for rookie QB and should improve in year 2. This and the lack of playmakers that can punish a defense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
KK's RED ZONE offense in 2019 sucked. The guy can quite often move the ball real well between the 20's, but it's like they run into an invisible wall in the red zone. He HAS to get that fixed. (Hopefully Butler will help there.)

He and the offense looked comical, sad or clueless trying to run a 2 minute O. He and KM HAVE to get that fixed. They looked like the Keystone cops out there.

If KK fails to get those 2 things squared away for 2020 you can color me unimpressed with just his offensive prowess.

If he and Keim focus efforts this spring toward improving this D's talent that would go a long way toward showing me that KK is making the right steps toward being an NFL HC and not just thinking about the offense.

Good post. My thoughts in a nutshell.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great post. Spot on accurate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose