Is Kingsbury the Real Deal

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For me the first game was just shockingly bad. Sure Murray and K2 turned it around, but the first half of that game was like watching Wilks against the Washington DC team.

But unlike Wilks, who repeatedly said he didnt know how to fix things, K2 DID fix the offensive issues. I think with more talent, Kingsbury can create a top 10 offense, and I think we will see it next season.

He stunk at situational football for the most part, but I would say that was a function of his transition from the college game where 1st downs stop the clock and players tend to struggle to stop any play in the redzone.

My biggest concern is with the defense, and whether K2 can identify good defensive coaches.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
There's some negativity because KK was not a great college coach, or at least that's what the record indicated. But with the Cards, he and the team both improved as the year went on. You would have to say this points well for the future. Not sure what exactly is meant by the "real deal."
Is Sean McVay still the real deal? Doug Peterson won a Super Bowl his first year. Is he still the real deal? Mike McCarthy was the real deal in Green Bay, then he wasn't. Now he's going to turn the Cowboys around.
KK has shown signs that he will grow into the position. And I think that's the best we can hope for....along with some wise draft choice and free agent moves....and no guarantees there. But we've got an exciting young QB, and that should make us competitive. And so far, it looks like KK and KM can work together.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lincoln Riley has yet to win a playoff game. In fact, his teams have pretty much been blown out in all of them. This is also a school where, outside of Texas, will get the best talent in the B12 no matter what.

Why are we acting like he’s God?
It's not perfect with his playoff performances, but I am really impressed with his ability to repurpose QBs that were given up on or gave up on their previous programs into guys who are Heisman winners or contenders. Sure, he has some better talent to work with, but he has consistently won with that talent.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the guy who built a top four program in the country is worse than the guy who couldn't even get another college head coaching job after getting fired from his alma mater.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not perfect with his playoff performances, but I am really impressed with his ability to repurpose QBs that were given up on or gave up on their previous programs into guys who are Heisman winners or contenders. Sure, he has some better talent to work with, but he has consistently won with that talent.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the guy who built a top four program in the country is worse than the guy who couldn't even get another college head coaching job after getting fired from his alma mater.
What has he really won? Conference titles? He should with all the talent OU brings in every year & Texas being down.

Built? He didn’t build OU. OU was already a consistently good team before he got there. Not even rebuild. Hell, what Rhule did Baylor is arguably more impressive what Riley did at OU. Rebuilding a program from the ground up after the scandal to a 11 win season with supremely less talent compared to OU.

I’m not comparing Kliff to Lincoln. Folks just need to stop acting like he’s God & built Kansas or something. Oklahoma has had the most talent go to their school in the B12 before he got there. They will have the most talent go their after he leaves, too.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What has he really won? Conference titles? He should with all the talent OU brings in every year & Texas being down.

Built? He didn’t build OU. OU was already a consistently good team before he got there. Not even rebuild. Hell, what Rhule did Baylor is arguably more impressive what Riley did at OU. Rebuilding a program from the ground up after the scandal to a 11 win season with supremely less talent compared to OU.

I’m not comparing Kliff to Lincoln. Folks just need to stop acting like he’s God & built Kansas or something. Oklahoma has had the most talent go to their school in the B12 before he got there. They will have the most talent go their after he leaves, too.
I don't have enough of a dog in the fight on this one to argue too much, I just would have been a lot more amped about hiring him than Kliff. If a team wants a hot experimental offensive mind, Riley would be the first guy I call up.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've had my doubts about KK but he knows QBs. He identified Mahomes and Murray and that basically got him the job. We will see if he can develop Murray. His play calling improved but still needs to be better. He was fine for a rookie head coach but we need the best from everyone to compete for a championship.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've had my doubts about KK but he knows QBs. He identified Mahomes and Murray and that basically got him the job. We will see if he can develop Murray. His play calling improved but still needs to be better. He was fine for a rookie head coach but we need the best from everyone to compete for a championship.

Yes the championship
Something the Cardinals are use to get

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He was a bad, desperation hire that had no business getting a NFL HC position. Couldn't win in college even though his predecessor regularly did. Why would anyone expect him to win in the NFL? Guys like Urban Meyer won in college at a similar level school in Utah then went on to much greater success and I wouldn't want him coaching the Cardinals. Same goes for Riley. But at least those guys won and weren't fired from their alma mater.

If offensive "geniuses" who actually were very successful in college, like Chip Kelly and Steve Spurrier couldn't make it in the NFL, why would anyone expect a career loser like Kingsbury to make it?

If the Cardinals didn't inexplicably hire him and, say, the Dolphins did, I'd bet 99% of the posters on here would've bashed/made fun of them. But since it was our team, the Cardinals, he's got potential and is learning. I, for one, don't want to hire a HC that's "learning" how the NFL works. I want a HC who knows wtf the NFL is about and has actually coached at the NFL level before handing the keys of the organization to him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He was a bad, desperation hire that had no business getting a NFL HC position. Couldn't win in college even though his predecessor regularly did. Why would anyone expect him to win in the NFL? Guys like Urban Meyer won in college at a similar level school in Utah then went on to much greater success and I wouldn't want him coaching the Cardinals. Same goes for Riley. But at least those guys won and weren't fired from their alma mater.

If offensive "geniuses" who actually were very successful in college, like Chip Kelly and Steve Spurrier couldn't make it in the NFL, why would anyone expect a career loser like Kingsbury to make it?

If the Cardinals didn't inexplicably hire him and, say, the Dolphins did, I'd bet 99% of the posters on here would've bashed/made fun of them. But since it was our team, the Cardinals, he's got potential and is learning. I, for one, don't want to hire a HC that's "learning" how the NFL works. I want a HC who knows wtf the NFL is about and has actually coached at the NFL level before handing the keys of the organization to him.

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe the better question is this:

how many games do the Cards have to win next year for you to conclude that KK is at least an NFL average head coach?

for me, the over/under is set at 7.5

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
maybe the better question is this:

how many games do the Cards have to win next year for you to conclude that KK is at least an NFL average head coach?

for me, the over/under is set at 7.5

With our opponents next year, I will accept nothing but a winning record. The divisions we are playing have a ton of problems. We could lose every game in our division and still have a winning record, so that's where I'm placing my expectations on what will change my mind about KK.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There are many comments here about KK growing into the job, getting better at it, adapting to the NFL, etc.

In 5 seasons at TT he never really got much better so why do people believe it will be different here? I really would like to hear reasons why he'll be better in the NFL than he was in college?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There are many comments here about KK growing into the job, getting better at it, adapting to the NFL, etc.

In 5 seasons at TT he never really got much better so why do people believe it will be different here? I really would like to hear reasons why he'll be better in the NFL than he was in college?
The best you're going to get here is blind optimism from people who just want to believe the best in the team despite the evidence.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And watching them get crushed every year says it all.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With our opponents next year, I will accept nothing but a winning record. The divisions we are playing have a ton of problems. We could lose every game in our division and still have a winning record, so that's where I'm placing my expectations on what will change my mind about KK.
You contradict yourself so much it is sad. You have harped about this roster being depleted of talent. You want to take a chance on a rookie LT and RB. You have said many times this team isn’t going anywhere this year with all the holes we have and the holes we won’t be able to fill, but suddenly Kliff is a bum if we don’t have a winning record. You are truly the P.O.D.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
CoachBro has a lot of improving to do. Will he get there? Who knows. It's easy to look "good" when you follow putrid.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You contradict yourself so much it is sad. You have harped about this roster being depleted of talent. You want to take a chance on a rookie LT and RB. You have said many times this team isn’t going anywhere this year with all the holes we have and the holes we won’t be able to fill, but suddenly Kliff is a bum if we don’t have a winning record. You are truly the P.O.D.
When am I allowed to start holding him to an expectation of winning, then? Isn't that what he has been hired for?

Yes, I think this roster sucks. Yes, I think signing mediocre players to long term deals is not a solution for getting better. I think our GM and HC suck. Want me to change my mind? Go win games, simple as that.

Until Kliff Kingsbury gives me any reason to begin thinking he is not a losing head coach, which he has been for the past five years, I am going to keep considering him a losing head coach. Why is this a difficult concept to process?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When am I allowed to start holding him to an expectation of winning, then? Isn't that what he has been hired for?

Yes, I think this roster sucks. Yes, I think signing mediocre players to long term deals is not a solution for getting better. I think our GM and HC suck. Want me to change my mind? Go win games, simple as that.

Until Kliff Kingsbury gives me any reason to begin thinking he is not a losing head coach, which he has been for the past five years, I am going to keep considering him a losing head coach. Why is this a difficult concept to process?
You have every right to hold him accountable.

I am not blind in supporting our team. I look at both sides and all angles. This team has not been very good the last few years and there is no getting around that.

KK has a long ways to go to right the ship even though we are seeing some signs of improvement.

Having SK as the GM is hindering the process IMO. We need to upgrade at GM to build a stronger roster so KK has more to work with.

Start winning more games than you lose and the fans will take notice.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How about holding off judgement until YOU deem this roster is adequate?