NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is an extremely uninspiring trade. I don’t see how this moves the needle at all for the Suns...especially while they’re fighting for a playoff spot.

Well, if he can play right away I do think it moves the needle some - but I doubt it moves it enough to make the playoffs.

I think this is more a move about the future. The guy does look like a pretty good offensive player, and that is definitely something the team needs more of.

He does fit the system, and he is still young. The question is whether we can do better with the draft pick - and with James Jones making the pick, I'm not sure we can.

To me the whole make or break on this is how healthy his knee is.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only 5 GB the 8th spot, which isn’t that far out of reach. Still see the trade as a lateral move without much upside.

The thing that should not be discounted is this guy already has 2 1/2 years of NBA experience over a rookie.

I see some pistons fans saying he has CJ Mccollum type upside. Looking at the highlights he does seem to be able to get his shot when he wants to pretty well despite his lack of athleticsm. I actually do think the Brogdan comparison may not be that far off - and if that happens this would be a bargain.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 5 GB the 8th spot, which isn’t that far out of reach. Still see the trade as a lateral move without much upside.

With all the injuries, 6 the last game, I haven't been thinking playoffs but you are right, it's still a mathematical possibility. Although, if the Suns trade for Kennard (I understand he isn't due back until after the All-Star break) it's not gong to help much. If Kennard were healthy I would be more enthused about the trade as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the injuries, 6 the last game, I haven't been thinking playoffs but you are right, it's still a mathematical possibility. Although, if the Suns trade for Kennard (I understand he isn't due back until after the All-Star break) it's not gong to help much. If Kennard were healthy I would be more enthused about the trade as well.

The all star break is 5 games away.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if he can get to the rim. He's in a system now with someone who clogs the paint more than probably any other big in the league so driving to the basket isn't something he's been able to do because of Detroit's offense in general.

Whether he can get to the basket or not, he can create his own shot and is a good shooter. I think he could end up being like what we wish Tyler Johnson was, and who he has been a couple of games as a Sun. Johnson has fallen off completely this year but he had some good games last year. Kennard is a better offensive player and doesn't seem to get tunnel vision like Tyler where he only looks to score for himself. Kennard is also a little bigger and has experience playing SF in the NBA. He's played 47% of his time at SF this year and 82% at SF last season.

Since he can create his own shot and help create for others, he should be able to play 3 positions here, PG, SG, and SF. That makes him an ideal 6th man type of player. He'll be able to sub in for virtually any start but Ayton, which is a real positive. He could be the bench help we've needed almost all season.

Except he is way too short to play small forward, is way too slow to play the point and can't defend any position. The guard version of Cam Johnson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The all star break is 5 games away.

If the Suns even want to think about the playoffs they would have to immediately start winning. Time is running out. My hope was the Suns could finish around .500 but with the injuries that doesn't look promising.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course that game is against Detroit as well, which makes it a little more interesting. I hope they can somehow get Christian Wood included. If they can then I'll be a much bigger fan of the trade. Wood looks like a solid backup PF, if nothing else, but he's young enough that there may be a future for him here.

We already had Wood once and cut him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The reason for it is Bower drafted him, and wants him on the team.

I like you am not so sure this is a great idea.

I like that he is a good shooter and we definitely need a 6th man, but his bad defense and lack of athleticism is already a weakness for the team.

Not just a weakness...the very reason we can't compete in any game unless we (and especially Rubio and/or Oubre) shoot lights out from the perimeter. That is a proven losing formula in the NBA...at least in the NBA since the early 80s...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's sort of like the 2019 draft, I hope Jones is making the right decision. A team can only have so many non-athletic players. There may be room for a couple but the Suns already have Saric, Kaminsky, Baynes, Jerome and Cam to name a few. Of course, then there is the injury factor.

And don't forget that Booker is an average athlete at best (superior player, average at best athleticism), and Mikal Bridges is below average.

The only decent athletes on the roster are Ayton, Oubre and Lecque. No wonder we get run off the court almost every night...

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing that should not be discounted is this guy already has 2 1/2 years of NBA experience over a rookie.

I see some pistons fans saying he has CJ Mccollum type upside. Looking at the highlights he does seem to be able to get his shot when he wants to pretty well despite his lack of athleticsm. I actually do think the Brogdan comparison may not be that far off - and if that happens this would be a bargain.

He has nowhere near the athleticism and handles that McCollum has. And the fact that he only has a year and a few months left on his rookie deal is a negative, not a positive. He really doesn't bring anything to the table more than Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome. Why sacrifice a much needed power forward prospect, even in a weak draft, just to duplicate those weaknesses?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except he is way too short to play small forward, is way too slow to play the point and can't defend any position. The guard version of Cam Johnson.

Way too short to play small forward - um no. Look around the NBA, he can play SG and Small forward - and he will work with booker as a PG too because they both can handle and pass.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He has nowhere near the athleticism and handles that McCollum has. And the fact that he only has a year and a few months left on his rookie deal is a negative, not a positive. He really doesn't bring anything to the table more than Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome. Why sacrifice a much needed power forward prospect, even in a weak draft, just to duplicate those weaknesses?
I agree, keep the pick. Trade an asset or three if they want a return or decline. We're like a MASH unit already. We don't need someone else coming off injury.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He has nothing over CAM and Ty Jerome - you really want to say that out loud?

That is complete BS. He is a far better player than either.

He is not athletic - but he is much more athletic than Jerome, and looks to be a little more athletic than Cam. But unlike cam, he is a good ball handler and a great passer.

I don't know what you are expecting for a late lottery pick in a weak draft. The more I look into this deal the more I like it. Assuming his knee is not a recurring issue.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Way too short to play small forward - um no. Look around the NBA, he can play SG and Small forward - and he will work with booker as a PG too because they both can handle and pass.

He is 6'5". In what universe is that not way too short to play small forward, especially in today's NBA? Name a single successful small forward in today's NBA who is that short.

And perhaps Kennard can pass, but have you seen him try to handle? More to the point (no pun intended), have you seen him try to defend? He has a problem keeping up speed-wise and lateral-movement-wise with small forwards and shooting guards, let alone point guards.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has nothing over CAM and Ty Jerome - you really want to say that out loud?

That is complete BS. He is a far better player than either.

He is not athletic - but he is much more athletic than Jerome, and looks to be a little more athletic than Cam. But unlike cam, he is a good ball handler and a great passer.

I don't know what you are expecting for a late lottery pick in a weak draft. The more I look into this deal the more I like it. Assuming his knee is not a recurring issue.

I am expecting a power forward. You know, the one position we have none of right now, and where there are none available in free agency worth signing?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is 6'5". In what universe is that not way too short to play small forward, especially in today's NBA? Name a single successful small forward in today's NBA who is that short.

And perhaps Kennard can pass, but have you seen him try to handle? More to the point (no pun intended), have you seen him try to defend? He has a problem keeping up speed-wise and lateral-movement-wise with small forwards and shooting guards, let alone point guards.

Defense is his biggest issue for sure.

But I for one cannot wait to have someone sitting on the three point line that can actually hit the open shot. He appears to be able to create his own shot too, has a nice step back, and a decent floater.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Defense is his biggest issue for sure.

But I for one cannot wait to have someone sitting on the three point line that can actually hit the open shot. He appears to be able to create his own shot too, has a nice step back, and a decent floater.

Exactly what everyone else on this board said about Cam Johnson.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Houston starts Eric Gordon, LA starts Danny Green, Denver starts Will Barton all 6'6 or less and all very successful teams. He is going to be the 6th man anyway, it's not like Small forward is going to be his main position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

MIKE MILLERC, NEW YORK KNICKS
You must be registered for see images attach

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Knicks have fired president Steve Mills, and that Scott Perry has taken over basketball operations in New York.
Shams adds that owner James Dolan has begun interviewing for President of Basketball Operations position, while ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports that "Dolan is targeting Toronto president Masai Ujiri to ultimately oversee New York's operations." Ujiri is under contract through 2020-2021 in Toronto.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter
Feb 4, 2020, 12:06 PM ET

I can't believe I am about to say this, but Sarver needs to take a cue from Dolan. He needs to do the same with Jones and Bower...before it's too late...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly what everyone else on this board said about Cam Johnson.

Cam can do it to some degree, but this guy is way better at it - and his presence is going to open up cam a lot more - who really does need to be wide open right now to be effective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns trade a first round pick for Kennard, I hope they get a second round pick in return. These are especially helpful assets to make minor trades. Suns do not have one in 2020 or 2021.

Jazz got Jordan Clarkson with two second round picks and a player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns trade a first round pick for Kennard, I hope they get a second round pick in return. These are especially helpful assets to make minor trades. Suns do not have one in 2020 or 2021.

Jazz got Jordan Clarkson with two second round picks and a player.

Yes that would be nice - but I doubt it, Jones doesn't seem to value second round picks at all.

Do they do conditional picks in the NBA - because I would do something like he needs to play in 60 games next year or we get your 2nd rounder next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that would be nice - but I doubt it, Jones doesn't seem to value second round picks at all.

Do they do conditional picks in the NBA - because I would do something like he needs to play in 60 games next year or we get your 2nd rounder next year.

They do conditional picks. Eric Bledsoe was one of them in the trade with the Bucks although there was nothing in regard to games played.

My concern is James Jones may not value draft picks as much as other GMs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave