Just A Reminder

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What do these three QB's have in common:
1. Tom Brady has won many Super Bowls.
2. Pat Mahomes looks like he's on the way to winning many SB's.
3. Jimmy G. came close and should be in a lot of Super Bowls.

But what else? For me it's that they all have/had great TE's to throw to, Gronk, Kelce and Kittle. So, I would like to remind everyone that Kyler needs a VG TE. Anyone agree?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

But what else? For me it's that they all have/had great TE's to throw to, Gronk, Kelce and Kittle. So, I would like to remind everyone that Kyler needs a VG TE. Anyone agree?

The other factor is all the offenses they play in feature the TE as a significant part of the offense. Not sure Klingsbury's offense does or ever will do that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They also all have,

1. Arms
2. Legs
3. Eyes

We should only have QB's with those things to make the SB.

But seriously, plenty of teams have made the SB without a great TE. The Rams just last year for example. The Falcons not long before.

What those QB's all had that made much more of a difference was great O lines and good defenses.

The main advantage of having a great pass catching tight end is that currently they are paid much less than wide receivers. Until Kittle's contract comes up when that will change.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Plus their HC’s are offensive gurus, Shanahan went way from what got his team to SB (running the ball) but he is young enough to learn from his mistake.

On the topic of TE, if ARZ gets a pass catching TE I would assume KK would split him out away from OT or line him up in slot so he functions like a WR. Point is a pass catching weapon no matter what position can fit an air raid offense.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also all have,

1. Arms
2. Legs
3. Eyes

We should only have QB's with those things to make the SB.

But seriously, plenty of teams have made the SB without a great TE. The Rams just last year for example. The Falcons not long before.

What those QB's all had that made much more of a difference was great O lines and good defenses.

The main advantage of having a great pass catching tight end is that currently they are paid much less than wide receivers. Until Kittle's contract comes up when that will change.
Falcons for sure didn’t have a good defense. They just out scored everybody. The same with the Rams to a lesser degree.

What the Falcons did have was a WR1 though.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus their HC’s are offensive gurus, Shanahan went away from what got his team to the SB (running the ball) but he is young enough to learn from his mistake.

Is he? Wasn't he also calling the plays for an Atlanta team that blew a 28-3 Super Bowl lead? Running the ball on some key plays could have sealed that game as well.

Kyle Shanahan's career 4th quarter drives in the Super Bowl:

3 plays, fumble
6 plays, punt
4 plays, punt
5 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
7 plays, downs
2 plays, INT

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Plus their HC’s are offensive gurus, Shanahan went way from what got his team to SB (running the ball) but he is young enough to learn from his mistake.

On the topic of TE, if ARZ gets a pass catching TE I would assume KK would split him out away from OT or line him up in slot so he functions like a WR. Point is a pass catching weapon no matter what position can fit an air raid offense.

Brady's head coach is not an offensive guru, that isn't the side of the ball he earned his keep at.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
While a TE would be wonderful, acquiring one that is this dynamic in the passing game sure isn't.

Take a look at the TE position in the draft. Not a single one of the guys mentioned in this thread up to this point was drafted in the first round. There have been a ton of receiving TE picks that haven't lived up to their billing. I think part is luck, part is coaching, and part is having a coach that will feature the TE.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch the combine. There is a rising TE in that crop. 2nd round.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. I think we’ve seen Kingsbury lean in that direction and I think we will see more of of it. Arnold is a guy that can create a big mismatch. I like Arnold being covered by a LB or a small corner. However , It’s a lot easier to exploit the middle with a TE when you have threats on the outside.

I think a good TE can get you those first down catches. Catches that keep drives going and wears a defense out.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brady's head coach is not an offensive guru, that isn't the side of the ball he earned his keep at.
Well Brady had the benefit of having a surveillance guru as a coach who hired great offensive coaches.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Is he? Wasn't he also calling the plays for an Atlanta team that blew a 28-3 Super Bowl lead? Running the ball on some key plays could have sealed that game as well.

Kyle Shanahan's career 4th quarter drives in the Super Bowl:

3 plays, fumble
6 plays, punt
4 plays, punt
5 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
7 plays, downs
2 plays, INT
Yep 2 of the biggest coaching choke jobs in SB history!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Well Larry is sort of a quasi TE with his routes and second tier blocks. That said, I'm on board if a good top three TE falls right into our laps.

Another reason to go heavy D in FA.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Larry is sort of a quasi TE with his routes and second tier blocks. That said, I'm on board if a good top three TE falls right into our laps.

Another reason to go heavy D in FA.
I kinda look at Fitz in that way. Get an additional outside threat like Lamb and Fitz becomes even more valuable.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In comparing Kelce and Kittle, I don't believe either were top draft picks, but I'm not sure. I am sure that others do know.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

100% agree.

Modern day NFL, tight ends are the pieces needed to thrive in RPO, and quick strike offenses.

At one point I thought the way to go against smaller defenses was a power run game, which does work, see Derrick Henry.

But, what is even better? A tight end that can block, catch and run. They are hard to come by but if you can get one, or better two, you can create havoc.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The other factor is all the offenses they play in feature the TE as a significant part of the offense. Not sure Klingsbury's offense does or ever will do that.
It sure did after game 4 lol. Lots of 11 & 12 personnel & running the ball more. I think KK is smart enough to realize those sets work in the NFL & he can get so creative out of them with many different formations. When we do get a true #1 WR he will probably be about 50-50 between 10 & 11\12 personnel. Definitely more 10 personnel than any other NFL team but not abandoning the TE.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I kinda look at Fitz in that way. Get an additional outside threat like Lamb and Fitz becomes even more valuable.
I've been saying that ever since all the #1 WR & Larry resigning talk began. Things will open up underneath for him with defensive attention elsewhere. He is still a problem for LB's & can make all the difficult catches in traffic. I like Jeudy better though but KM is familiar with Lamb. Either way is fine. I just look at the numbers Jeudy put up against SEC defenses as opposed to the crappy ones in the Big 12 Lamb played against.