NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking back to trades made last season (near the trade deadline) it seems like a lot of those were announced late in the evening. I think one was announced around midnight MST. I'm not sure why unless it was a media thing. Still seems like an odd time to announce a trade.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Kat DLo Book thing is stupid.

Sure they are 3 pretty good players but no way in this lifetime are they the core of a championship team.

Why would any GM with half a brain mortgage his team’s future so these 3 can all party together on a naughty basis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Kat DLo Book thing is stupid.

Sure they are 3 pretty good players but no way in this lifetime are they the core of a championship team.

Why would any GM with half a brain mortgage his team’s future so these 3 can all party together on a naughty basis?

Would you rather lose Booker, and then Ayton, and be forced to build around a trio of Nico Mannion, Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Would you rather lose Booker, and then Ayton, and be forced to build around a trio of Nico Mannion, Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges?

So you’re asking me if I’d rather have a poop sandwich or a crap sandwich.?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
People shouldn’t get their hopes up. Jones will sit on his hands and preach patience. Problem is at full strength we still have very limited upside. I don’t really see a realistic move changing that so I can’t really rip him for standing pat...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
People shouldn’t get their hopes up. Jones will sit on his hands and preach patience. Problem is at full strength we still have very limited upside. I don’t really see a realistic move changing that so I can’t really rip him for standing pat...

He needs to add pieces for the future. Hanging on to Tyler Johnson, Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky for three more months only to let their contracts expire for nothing, particularly with the inability to attract any free agents worth a darn with the limited cap space that yields, does the Suns not a darn bit of good. This season is lost, but that doesn't mean Jones should give up on the future as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He needs to add pieces for the future. Hanging on to Tyler Johnson, Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky for three more months only to let their contracts expire for nothing, particularly with the inability to attract any free agents worth a darn with the limited cap space that yields, does the Suns not a darn bit of good. This season is lost, but that doesn't mean Jones should give up on the future as well.

What in the world would those pieces get us?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To quote Devikakum: So you’re asking me if I’d rather have a poop sandwich or a crap sandwich.?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Even if all they got us were second round picks, that's better than nothing, and we have about 8 or 9 roster spots to fill for next year.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JerkFace

Reaction score
This franchise is so depressingly predictable.
Kennard definitely isn’t a solution, but he may be a decent piece. Of course this is assuming that the first round pick has some decent protection on it. I like Kennard better than than any of the upcoming players that would be available from around the 12th pick on. Would prefer to use the pick to trade for a bigger need though (PF).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of COURSE James Jones is about to throw away the lottery pick we need to get a power forward for yet another unathletic wing who can do nothing but shoot and is hurt.

NOW do you understand how urgent it is for this franchise to fire James Jones immediately???

When all is said and done, this roster will be nothing but a bunch of Cam Johnsons.

:barf:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Kennard but not for our 1st round pick. He's had a good year as a full time starter. He's shooting 40% from 3 on 6.5 attempts a game while scoring 15.8 ppg with 4.1 apg, and 3.4 rpg. He would be a good solution for a scoring guard off the bench for us, backing up Booker and Oubre. Maybe he can play some PG also with those assist numbers. I imagine having Drummond in the lane to dump the ball to helps him get his assists up though. He has 1 more full year left on his rookie deal before becoming a restricted free agent. He was selected 12th in the 2017 draft, the Josh Jackson draft.

Here's a link to his BBRef page...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kennalu01.html

JerkFace

Reaction score
I like Kennard but not for our 1st round pick. He's had a good year as a full time starter. He's shooting 40% from 3 on 6.5 attempts a game while scoring 15.8 ppg with 4.1 apg, and 3.4 rpg. He would be a good solution for a scoring guard off the bench for us, backing up Booker and Oubre. Maybe he can play some PG also with those assist numbers. I imagine having Drummond in the lane to dump the ball to helps him get his assists up though. He has 1 more full year left on his rookie deal before becoming a restricted free agent. He was selected 12th in the 2017 draft, the Josh Jackson draft.

Like I mentioned, he is a decent piece and a legitimate NBA player (which we are solely in need of). I just hope we have some lottery protection on the first round pick. Also hopefully this is in conjunction with another move that will bring up an athletic PF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Bower drafted Kennard and had a prior connection to Cam. Is this guy calling the shots?

Bower is the VP of Basketball Operations and was hired to help guide James Jones as he learns his role but Bower does report to Jones in the Suns management hierarchy. It's no surprise that some moves that have been made look like Bower moves but if they continue to pop up after this season then it will become a real question as to who does what and why James Jones is even listed as the General Manager if it's Bower driving the ship. Bower is also who was GM in New Orleans when Monty was coach and it was said he gave the Suns the leg up on the Lakers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And his defense is right up there with Cam Johnson and Dario Saric, thanks to being one of the least athletic players in the league. Another Kyle Korver type.

Making one of the least athletic teams in NBA history even less athletic, when what we need more than anything else is athleticism.

Will Jones ever learn?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, he is a decent piece and a legitimate NBA player (which we are solely in need of). I just hope we have some lottery protection on the first round pick. Also hopefully this is in conjunction with another move that will bring up an athletic PF.

I agree. I hope a pick being involved doesn't mean Blake is involved but I'm fairly certain his name would have led the tweet that Woj sent out.

Looking at Detroits bigs, they also have Markieff Morris, which isn't even worth joking about, Thon Maker, who is a joke, and Christian Wood. I like Wood, he's been a solid backup PF for the Pistons, averaging 10.1 ppg with 5.3 rpg in 17.3 minutes a night. He's also shooting 57% from the field and is 6'10". If we got Kennard and Wood for our 1st, with top 5 protection, I could live with that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Of course we need to make salaries work, Kaminsky and Okobo for Kennard and Wood works capwise. Kaminsky has a team option for year 2, so he's essentially an expiring contract. Okobo would be included to make it work with the number of players involved since the Suns have 15 under contract already.

If they traded Baynes in that deal instead of Frank then they're selling way too low on him. I don't think the Clippers have a 1st to part with for Baynes but I think the Suns can get a 1st from a contender for him. If that pick was flipped in the Detroit deal, that would be much better. Maybe even tying it to the protection, where if the Suns pick didn't convey then Detroit gets that pick plus a future 2nd or something. I'm just spitballing here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There has to be more to it or another trade in the works. The trade by itself doesn't do a lot for the Suns needs. It only fills one need.

JerkFace

Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There has to be more to it or another trade in the works. The trade by itself doesn't do a lot for the Suns needs.

Other than continue putting together James Jones's dream team on unathletic one dimensional shooters just like himself.

Next up, Nik Stauskas?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose