Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Mikal's defense is money and it's only getting better.

What I especially like, he is scoring off a variety of shots and not reliant on the 3 pointer.

Yeah, I said last year that Mikal was as good defensively as Booker is offensively. I think he is even better this year. He's had a series of games where he averaged double digits. I don't think he needs to b e a huge scorer, but he needs to get to the point where he is going to deliver 10-12 points per game. It is just really hard to keep him and Rubio on the floor at the same time, especially now that Ayton is not scoring as much as he did last year. If Mikal can get 10-12, and Ayton can get 18-20, that lineup is going to be unstoppable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I never want to read another article again about his conditioning. He’s a professional athlete.
There is no substitute for playing games when it comes to conditioning and that is something Ayton hasn't had a lot of this year. It will take a few more games for him to round back into shape.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I listened to 98.7 last week before the game and whoever's show it was went into a deep dive on Ayton's development. A loy of quotes from Monty Williams and other Suns coaches. I know anything can be edited a certain way, but it sounded like the coaches were getting a little tired of waiting on Ayton. One of the coaches, the way he said it was "Mark Bryant spends HOURS eceryday going over video with Deandre Ayton." I noticed the emphasis on hours in how it was said. Monty Williams had a quote that said they were waiting for Ayton to wake up. There were many more audio quotes, but in the end, I got the feeling there is an organizational awareness they need to get Ayton fired up. There were no quotes about hum being young and taking time to develop. The whole segment was like, the time for him to start playing bully ball is now. I think it was Monty who used that term bully ball in that segment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no substitute for playing games when it comes to conditioning and that is something Ayton hasn't had a lot of this year. It will take a few more games for him to round back into shape.

"back into shape"? what shape exactly is that? his conditioning was weak last year as well as he'd usually shoot out of the gate with a strong 1st quarter and then trail off significantly as the game wore on.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We were all told, even by Monty Williams that he was being a beast while he was suspended. Everyone in the Suns organization. players, coaches, media, were all saying, just wait until he steps back on the court. To me he is still playing like Deandre from last year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
"back into shape"? what shape exactly is that? his conditioning was weak last year as well as he'd usually shoot out of the gate with a strong 1st quarter and then trail off significantly as the game wore on.

I cut him a little slack last season... it was his first with the big boys. And he still avg’d 16 & 12...
But this season? Probably the thing I’m most disappointed in wth him is how out of shape he is. He’s fantastic for the first 2-3 mins he’s on the court.. and then it all quickly goes down hill from there. Very, very disappointing...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't see how this refutes the point I was making. When a player misses a significant amount of games it takes some time to get their conditioning up. Are you suggesting that is an inaccurate statement?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We were all told, even by Monty Williams that he was being a beast while he was suspended. Everyone in the Suns organization. players, coaches, media, were all saying, just wait until he steps back on the court. To me he is still playing like Deandre from last year.
Apparently they were really saying that they expected him to be the ol' Deandre when he stepped back on the court.

And he is!

Unfortunately, the ol' Deandre is what we're still seeing. Stats, but not a difference maker who can tilt close games
to the direction of the Suns. Even Booker has been unsuccessful in that regard most of the time. Look at our record.

Oubre is the only Suns player who comes close to that. And, being a Small Forward, it is difficult to carry the team
to victory game after games or in most games. That, of course, requires a super-star -- a very strong player.

Think back. Who has accomplished that for the Suns in the past? Most notably, Charles Barkley, a super-star and a
strong player. Even Kevin Johnson used to get blocked regularly when he drove the lane with the game on the line.
Dan Majerle, like Oubre, was a Wing and had limited success. Nash did well, but petered out as the season progressed.
Even Alvan Adams, high on our stat board, played 18 feet from the basket.

Deandre fits the Suns mold of a pretty player, but not a difference maker to lead us into strong playoff contention.
The things you'd expect from a #1 pick Center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut him a little slack last season... it was his first with the big boys. And he still avg’d 16 & 12...
But this season? Probably the thing I’m most disappointed in wth him is how out of shape he is. He’s fantastic for the first 2-3 mins he’s on the court.. and then it all quickly goes down hill from there. Very, very disappointing...

I do not want to be an Ayton apologist but there are some things to consider.

Ayton has only played 8 games this season and 6 games after coming back from an ankle sprain. It's hard to expect him to be in the same shape as other players. The Suns have already played 38 games.

At least being out of game shape is fixable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So we’ll stop talking about it in a week? Got it.
Can't guarantee we won't be talking about his conditioning once he has had 10-15 games played since his return, but I won't be using his games played as an excuse for it at that point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Ayton has only played 8 games this season and 6 games after coming back from an ankle sprain. It's hard to expect him to be in the same shape as other players. The Suns have already played 38 games.

Hope that’s al it is...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About Bridges shooting motion. Did he have a hitch in college?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

wasn't fixed last season when he was consistently gassed in the second half of games.

not sure why we're just supposed to assume the reason he's gassed now is because he got his ass parked on the bench for 25 games. what's to say he wouldn't look exactly the same right now as he did last year when he consistently started fast and then tailed off as games went on?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Worse. His shooting percentage is atrocious and amazingly he’s shooting less free throws if that’s possible.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Amen. And he’s 20 something. And he has a whopping 8 games of the seasons wear and tear.
And there is a difference between being in shape and being in game shape. Believe it or not, playing games is what gets into game shape and he doesn't have many games played yet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And there is a difference between being in shape and being in game shape. Believe it or not, playing games is what gets into game shape and he doesn't have many games played yet.
He’s played 7-8 freaking games. How long does it take going athletic players to get in game shape?!? My god we don’t see other players huffing and puffing and making excuses after playing minor preseason minutes 7 games into the regular season. This is just foolishness at this point. Why doesn’t someone start questioning whether he needs goggles or orthotics? I would find those, without any evidence, just as likely as a 21 year old athlete that was beasting during his suspension and has already played 7 games being outta shape.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We *are* here Atlanta. Let's step on the neck of little Steph 2.0. Trey? Can't remember his name. He's pretty good but we have some tricks (Bridges, Carter).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s played 7-8 freaking games. How long does it take going athletic players to get in game shape?!? My god we don’t see other players huffing and puffing and making excuses after playing minor preseason minutes 7 games into the regular season. This is just foolishness at this point. Why doesn’t someone start questioning whether he needs goggles or orthotics? I would find those, without any evidence, just as likely as a 21 year old athlete that was beasting during his suspension and has already played 7 games being outta shape.
Some players have more stamina than others too. Shawn Marion and now Oubre can run all day long. I remember Bledsoe getting gassed after one or two fast breaks. I wonder where Ayton is with his conditioning. That would limit him as a player long term unless the Suns start playing a slow down game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Kirschner (@ChrisKirschner)
1/13/20, 3:01 PM
For tomorrow’s game vs. Phoenix:

De’Andre Hunter (right index finger sprain) is questionable.

Trae Young (left hamstring pain) is questionable.

Alex Len (low back pain) is doubtful.

Bruno Fernando (personal reasons) is out.

Jabari Parker (right shoulder impingement) is out.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Kirschner (@ChrisKirschner)
1/13/20, 3:01 PM
For tomorrow’s game vs. Phoenix:

De’Andre Hunter (right index finger sprain) is questionable.

Trae Young (left hamstring pain) is questionable.

Alex Len (low back pain) is doubtful.

Bruno Fernando (personal reasons) is out.

Jabari Parker (right shoulder impingement) is out.

[Does a quick glance at the Atlanta Roster to see what player will be posting career highs against us]

Brandon Goodwin is the name. Career high is 21 points. Averages 6.8 per game

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn