The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NBA really needs to work on their fine structure. There's no point with these numbers. Butler makes 32 million this year, $35k is a drop in the ocean for him. Even TJ at 10M isn't going to feel his much. Should be based on game salaries. Fine them a game each.

Fining them a game check, Butler would be getting penalized much more severely than Warren.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that was part of the deal for Griffin originally. The Clippers provided a stack of those forms already completed, all the Pistons need to do is date it and fax it over.

It makes one wonder about Griffin's future in the NBA.

The trade for Griffin is going to haunt the Pistons for awhile.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Fining them a game check, Butler would be getting penalized much more severely than Warren.
On an absolute dollar value, sure. But that amount is a dramatically different relative impact based on yearly salary.

If the goal of these fines is to curb undesired behaviour, then the current structure is meaningless.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On a relative dollar value, sure. But that amount is a dramatically different relative impact based on yearly salary.

If the goal of these fines is to curb undesired behaviour, then the current structure is meaningless.

So you're going to penalize players for making more money?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're going to penalize players for making more money?

Suspensions cost players different amounts. Ayton was hurt more financially than John Collins but they were both suspended for 25 games for violating the drug policy. Is it fair that Ayton lost more money? That's basically the same argument. Fining them a game check, regardless of how much that is for each player, would curb that behavior better than some measly 25k. They make a lot more than that per game.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suspensions cost players different amounts. Ayton was hurt more financially than John Collins but they were both suspended for 25 games for violating the drug policy. Is it fair that Ayton lost more money? That's basically the same argument. Fining them a game check, regardless of how much that is for each player, would curb that behavior better than some measly 25k. They make a lot more than that per game.

That's a good point.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think Diallo is okay but I don't get why we let Richaun go. One of the few bright spots last year and you don't signal to fans and players to lock that up? Give him bench money. You need 3 decent bigs, so with him and Ayton you'd only need one more. Don't know who to pin that one on. Squeaky cheap Sarver or the previous GM?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Diallo is okay but I don't get why we let Richaun go. One of the few bright spots last year and you don't signal to fans and players to lock that up? Give him bench money. You need 3 decent bigs, so with him and Ayton you'd only need one more. Don't know who to pin that one on. Squeaky cheap Sarver or the previous GM?

I know exactly why. James Jones prefers soft, unathletic, finesse front court players in the mold of himself, so he chose Frank Kaminsky over Holmes for the same money.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I know exactly why. James Jones prefers soft, unathletic, finesse front court players in the mold of himself, so he chose Frank Kaminsky over Holmes for the same money.
You're letting your hatred for Jones interfere with logic lol

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're letting your hatred for Jones interfere with logic lol

Outside of picking scraps in Diallo, name one player Jones has pursued and preferred who is not in Jones's own image.

And I actually like Jones as a person and as a player relations guy, but as a GM I think he is absolutely killing this franchise.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yet another move that was obviously a mistake at the time, yet vigorously defended by most of this board.

It wasn't Diallo instead of Richaun. The money slot that could have been used on Richaun was used on Frank Kaminsky instead. An even bigger mistake, in my opinion.

Diallo was a 1 year $1,678,854 contract.

Holmes was a 2 year, $9,772,350 contract.

Kaminsky was a 2 year, $10 million contract.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i'm guessing things were tight that they weren't sure they'd resign Oubre and a pg.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose