Epenesa, Wirfs, Willis, Jeudy, Lamb. Rank these from greatest to least in terms of who you want

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But this is what I don't get. People on this board freak out about giving Honeybadger a big deal after injuries, DJ a big deal after injuries, etc.

This was the first year in Humphries career he didn't end up on IR. When he does play, he is average, but the trend has been that he doesn't play. If you could guarantee me that we would get this years level of play for an entire contract, I would reluctantly say sign him, and try to do it on a reasonable deal. He doesn't warrent big time OT money...but my gut tells me he will either be injured a lot or regress once he gets paid.

I think franchising him for the year makes some sense. It's a lot of money, but we aren't committed long term. If thats the route we choose though, we need to have a LT waiting in the wings, which would make picking Andrew Thomas a top priority. He could play RT next year, and if we then let DJ walk Thomas slides over and hopefully someone on our roster at that point can step up and play RT.

I don't like the idea of paying Humphries top money because he's all we've got. A mid-level talent with injury concerns should be paid as so, and if he wants to leave we should let him

Mr. Average gave up 2 sacks!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our O Line isn't our weak link anymore. Thomas and Wirfs are worth a look in the first, but also look even harder at Okudah, Simmons, or Brown.

We need either a big name WR or DL in free agency in the worst way. That will clear things up.

So they fell behind our D-Line and Linebacking corp as "weak link" this year....but the o-line also has 3 UFA amongst them.

If we just keep patching holes, we will never build a dominant unit anywhere. I would rather have a dominant O-Line, and mid-level skill players. I think our offense would still grow.

We can and should address D-Line in free agency.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are on the same page. There are other roads we could choose. But we desperately need to fill the other ilb. We could go after Littleton and that would be great, but it’s a lot of money to soak into the linebacking corp. Simmons would allow us to use the money for a couple of d-linemen.

Thus making any ILB even better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mr. Average gave up 2 sacks!
And didn’t he lead the league in penalties for tackles? Or something like that? Those are kinda like sacks except Murray doesn’t actually get hit and no loss of down. So they are like half sacks I guess.

i think he’s above average. But not majorly so. And when you factor in his history of availability you gotta question a phat contract.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You just have to re-sign Humphries or at least get him franchised and make sure he plays. There just aren't other solutions out there without putting ourselves at major risk of letting our young QB get killed.

I'm not thrilled about paying him, just like I wasn't thrilled about paying to have my car repaired when I was stuck in California. But that's the position we're in and have to deal with.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You just have to re-sign Humphries or at least get him franchised and make sure he plays. There just aren't other solutions out there without putting ourselves at major risk of letting our young QB get killed.

I'm not thrilled about paying him, just like I wasn't thrilled about paying to have my car repaired when I was stuck in California. But that's the position we're in and have to deal with.

Yep. If there was a good, viable replacement I would pull the trigger, but this team wont get better by letting good players walk.

Reactions: HGC

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DJ Humphries is not a problem on this team.

Hes not right now. We were paying him on a rookie deal, and so him only playing about 50% of that deal was a little easier to swallow.

If we are going to pay him 4 years / 60 Million with 30-40 guarenteed....and assume we have our LT situation solved, ignoring bringing in other players to compete for that spot....and then DJ misses a bunch of time (as has been his history), then he becomes a pretty big problem.

I don't dislike DJ Humphries, I really dont. I think he is an average OT, and it's not his fault that he in injury prone or that the market for OT's says he might get 15+ million per year. I just wonder people had a problem paying HB with his injury history, or David Johnson with his, but seem to be ok with paying DJ?

IMO the best solution is to tag him this year, which gets him his 15 million, and hope we see another full season of average to above average play. It's not ideal, but it does prevent us from having another major hole on the team for next year.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Non-sequitor.

No it's not! We are talking about paying a player long term...and your argument is that he only gave up 2 sacks this year, so he should get a 4 year/60 million dollar deal.

I'm saying that his injury history has to factor into your financial commitment to him long term. Humprhies has missed 21 games in 4 years, and has ONE season that didn't end on IR.

Marcus Gilbert is one of the best RT's in the league WHEN HE IS HEALTHY. He has been injured a lot, including all of this season. If the Cards were about to pay him long term, elite RT money...wouldn't you have some pause?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
IMO the best solution is to tag him this year, which gets him his 15 million, and hope we see another full season of average to above average play.

the one issue with this strategy: at the time the team gets to see another season where he plays well and is not injured -- week 12 or 13 -- its also the time when DJ would just wait to hit the open market

his price goes up significantly at that point, and a double franchise tag is now in the $18mm range -- so the threat of the tag loses its leverage

as it stands today: the team will pay $15mm or so to DJ Humphries next year regardless ( tag or contract).

so the calculus is: are you willing to add another $15mm in guaranteed bonuses to get 3-4-5 additional years of control?

Downside: in 2020 he regresses, is hurt, puts on 80 lbs, etc.
Dead money cap hit of $7.5mm in 2021 and 2022.

Upside: He continues to improve, and you have a key piece locked up during "the window" at a lower price

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
the one issue with this strategy: at the time the team gets to see another season where he plays well and is not injured -- week 12 or 13 -- its also the time when DJ would just wait to hit the open market

his price goes up significantly at that point, and a double franchise tag is now in the $18mm range -- so the threat of the tag loses its leverage

as it stands today: the team will pay $15mm or so to DJ Humphries next year regardless ( tag or contract).

so the calculus is: are you willing to add another $15mm in guaranteed bonuses to get 3-4-5 additional years of control?

Upside: He continues to improve, and you have a key piece locked up during "the window" at a lower price
Agreed here. I don't even care if it's just a three year deal, I just want this solved while we have Kyler at a decent price. Then we have a couple of years to try to groom a guy to take over if Humphries gets too expensive.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't think his price is going to go up significantly. He is being talked about at the 15 million per year range, which is top LT money. There is no way he will become the type of guy that redifines the market for LT and makes it jump to 20 or something.

Gambo is reporting that the Cards want to do a long term deal, something around 4 years 60 million....so I would guess it happens. I am going to hope for the best and hope that we see DJ play at a high level and actually play in 80% or more of that deal.

I will still stick to my opinion, that if we knew we could get Andrew Thomas, I would let DJ walk and have IMO a better LT for a much cheaper price...but since there is no way to know that...we go with what we have.

I still think we need to draft 2 lineman this year, and basically let Kugler hand pick them. I am interested to see what kind of deal Murray gets at RT, because we also have Brandon Toth who people seem the think highly of, and there are LOTS of RT prospects we could get in the 3rd round.

I would like to see us draft a STUD OG to eventually take a starting spot, and maybe another OT prospect if we don't sign Murray long term.

Just throwing out ideas but Trey Smith (OT/OG) in round 3 would be great. He is a top 15 prospect who almost had to quit football because of blood clots in his lungs, but that seems to be in the past and he is a dominant O-lineman. Only reason he would be available that late is because of health, and he may get picked up in round 2.

I also like Creed Humphrey and Prince Tega Wanogho, as day 2 or 3 picks.

Somehow give me 2 of those 3 guys and I would be THRILLED

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not! We are talking about paying a player long term...and your argument is that he only gave up 2 sacks this year, so he should get a 4 year/60 million dollar deal.

I'm saying that his injury history has to factor into your financial commitment to him long term. Humprhies has missed 21 games in 4 years, and has ONE season that didn't end on IR.

Marcus Gilbert is one of the best RT's in the league WHEN HE IS HEALTHY. He has been injured a lot, including all of this season. If the Cards were about to pay him long term, elite RT money...wouldn't you have some pause?

YES... because he's coming off of injury.

Humphries just played 16 games, over 1000 snaps - 13 penalties - gave up two sacks - and is five years his junior.

This is the health circumstance that is relevant.

If we don't draft a RT at #8, I'd certainly consider bringing back Gilbert on a prove-it one year deal.

P.S. at no point did I suggest how much they should pay for Humphries services but it's likely either a Tag that he's content with or multiple years at or slightly above the Tag number.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
YES... because he's coming off of injury.

Humphries just played 16 games, over 1000 snaps - 13 penalties - gave up two sacks - and is five years his junior.

This is the health circumstance that is relevant.

If we don't draft a RT at #8, I'd certainly consider bringing back Gilbert on a prove-it one year deal.

P.S. at no point did I suggest how much they should pay for Humphries services but it's likely either a Tag that he's content with or multiple years at or slightly above the Tag number.

In the last 5 years, DJ Humphries has played 43 games, and Marcus Gilbert has played 41.

Assuming they are both healthy going into 2020... neither guy is deserving if a 15 million dollar a year contract based on injury history alone.

Yet, one of those guys is going to be making 15 million and one is going to making about 2.5

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think his price is going to go up significantly. He is being talked about at the 15 million per year range, which is top LT money. There is no way he will become the type of guy that redifines the market for LT and makes it jump to 20 or something.

Gambo is reporting that the Cards want to do a long term deal, something around 4 years 60 million....so I would guess it happens. I am going to hope for the best and hope that we see DJ play at a high level and actually play in 80% or more of that deal.

I will still stick to my opinion, that if we knew we could get Andrew Thomas, I would let DJ walk and have IMO a better LT for a much cheaper price...but since there is no way to know that...we go with what we have.

I still think we need to draft 2 lineman this year, and basically let Kugler hand pick them. I am interested to see what kind of deal Murray gets at RT, because we also have Brandon Toth who people seem the think highly of, and there are LOTS of RT prospects we could get in the 3rd round.

I would like to see us draft a STUD OG to eventually take a starting spot, and maybe another OT prospect if we don't sign Murray long term.

Just throwing out ideas but Trey Smith (OT/OG) in round 3 would be great. He is a top 15 prospect who almost had to quit football because of blood clots in his lungs, but that seems to be in the past and he is a dominant O-lineman. Only reason he would be available that late is because of health, and he may get picked up in round 2.

I also like Creed Humphrey and Prince Tega Wanogho, as day 2 or 3 picks.

Somehow give me 2 of those 3 guys and I would be THRILLED
If the meds check out Trey Smith would be a steal in the 3rd round, thinking he probably will go in the 2nd might even sneak into the late 1st with clean medical. He may be one of the best G prospects I saw this year great at picking up dl stunts and blitzes also very good on 2nd level.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If the meds check out Trey Smith would be a steal in the 3rd round, thinking he probably will go in the 2nd might even sneak into the late 1st with clean medical. He may be one of the best G prospects I saw this year great at picking up dl stunts and blitzes also very good on 2nd level.

That didn't work out so well with Dorian Johnson. Just saying. :)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the last 5 years, DJ Humphries has played 43 games, and Marcus Gilbert has played 41.

Assuming they are both healthy going into 2020... neither guy is deserving if a 15 million dollar a year contract based on injury history alone.

Yet, one of those guys is going to be making 15 million and one is going to making about 2.5

Deserving is subjective. It's a business driven by supply / demand and available monies within a CAP system.

We know who's getting $15m.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I cannot help but think what this team could look like with Chandler Jones accomplishing what he has with no help and then a guy like Chase Young

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Have you given thought to Gross-Matos (Penn State)?
-6'5" 265 lbs
-Long arms, MASSIVE wingspan
-Relentless motor & great hands
-Sets a firm edge
-Athletic, impactful & scheme versatile
I like him. I think he is super long and more than a little raw, but might be too good for us to have as an option in round 2. I don't have a good handle on how athletic he is in comparison to other prospects, but I imagine he will do well at the combine. I am curious to see his 3 cone and watch him in the drills to see how well he bends for his size.

I don't think I would be good with taking him at 8.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot help but think what this team could look like with Chandler Jones accomplishing what he has with no help and then a guy like Chase Young

Chase falls no lower than 3. It just isn't happening.