Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No what this means is he didn’t have anything is his system other then what was reported. This is why anti-doping is a joke. It catches more people who aren’t really doping then who actually is. Anyone with enough research and money can beat a doping test it comes down to simple math. Then list of substances is ridiculous, caffeine is on that list, it’s not uncommon for athlete’s to be put on suspended sentences for having to much caffeine in there system.

yeah... I've heard soooooooo many cases of guys being suspended for too much Diet Coke.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well. 1-0 and people think we are contenders...if anything this might light a fire under his butt. Baynes time

I'm pretty sure that was a joke, just like the poster who put us down for 82 - 0. And I'm pretty happy with the fire Ayton showed in the Kings game so I'm more concerned that he'll lose that should he be out for the full 25 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sigh. This just further confirms he’s a big stupid dopey kid. Time to grow the F up Ayton. You’re getting paid millions to play a freaking game. Know what you can’t put in your body and avoid it.

if this wasn’t an accident he’s a stupid a-hole to be doing this at his young age and it bodes really poorly for his future.

I want to believe in him, but he just continues to make it so damn hard.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
I started to have trepidation's about this guy's maturity, desire to win since allegations levied against U of A earlier this year regarding Ayton's 'pay for play.'
And now this... Ayton had a 'nice' rookie season but fun loving, affable and immature all lead to bust traits IF you are a center in the NBA.
I wish we knew what he was trying to mask. If it was 'roids, I'd hold out hope that the guy is trying to gain an edge for competitive reasons.
If it's just weed... :lame:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have severe test taking anxiety and when I’ve taken exams for licensure or certification, I took a beta blocker to calm my heart rate down that’s outlawed by most sports organizations.

I am talking about a diuretic which is different but do similar things. My guess is it was to flush something out of his system. It is possible it was to mask something else new. Testing is always playing catch up with designer enhancing drugs. It always takes them time to catch up to be able to test for them.

I seriously hope it wasn't that and was to hide some usage of weed. Either way he is an idiot.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
No doubt that Ayton seems like a bit of a space cadet at times, so it's entirely possible he screwed up either through intent or ignorance.

However, I would expect that the NBA should release more details of what it was specifically that implicated him so the public might have a better grasp on whether what Ayton is alleging is a realistic possibility.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Looking objectively at the Suns dilemma, I think we'll be OK!

I am a big Mercury fan, and their veteran superstar Center Brittney Griner puts up good numbers, but is not a difference maker.
Diana Taurasi and DeWanna Bonner affect the outcome of games much more. Griner is not even the team's leading rebounder.

Likewise, Ayton is nowhere near establishing himself as a dominant Center. In our first game, he put up a double-double, but
was not a difference maker. Booker, Rubio and Oubre are clearly ahead of him in that regard. And the eye test seems to show
that Ayton gets rebounds because of his size, but is not a skilled rebounder 1-on-1.

As the box score showed, Booker and Rubio also had a double-double and Oubre missed it by one rebound. And the second unit
played great during the second half. That, and Booker playing defense, were why we pulled ahead by almost thirty points.

So I am saying that with the roster we have, and possibly adding a role-playing Center, we'll be OK.

The interesting time will be when Ayton returns and works himself back into game shape. Will we be saying that we had better
chemistry without him? And, as been suggested, sliding him in at our only weak starting position, Power Forward might be the
best approach?

Time will tell!

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jermaine O'Neil didn't serve 25 games for clocking a fan during the Malice at the Palace. If Ayton does 25 games for a diuretic, that's insane.

If he does 5-10 games for being an idiot, fine. Anymore than 10 is ridiculously excessive. He didn't get popped for steroids, it was a diuretic and by all accounts it was something he ingested unintentionally. Perhaps he got a bad supplement, who knows.

The only sport related drug testing I pay attention to is in the MMA world and when something like this happens it's often discussed as tainted supplements rather than someone intentionally taking a diuretic to mask something else, like is being discussed here. I'm not saying that's what happened but thought I'd provide a different viewpoint.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
yeah... I've heard soooooooo many cases of guys being suspended for too much Diet Coke.
It’s in the anti doping guidelines, I forget his name but a weightlifter from Romania was stripped of his bronze medal, because he had to much caffeine in his system. The point being it’s not difficult too fail a test from common over the counter medications. It’s a really crappy system that rarely catches who they intend to catch. Those guys tend to be way ahead of the curve on beating these test.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't follow this part of his statement:

I put something in my body that I was completely unaware of.

Given the history at U of A and all the stuff the FBI was investigating, I guess I am just a little cynical here. Many athletes either think the rules don't apply to them, that it is ok to cheat, not comply with the rules as long as you cover it up or people don't find out about it. My concern is that Ayton may have some of these attitudes and us fans are going to get burned.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No what this means is he didn’t have anything is his system other then what was reported. This is why anti-doping is a joke. It catches more people who aren’t really doping then who actually is. Anyone with enough research and money can beat a doping test it comes down to simple math. Then list of substances is ridiculous, caffeine is on that list, it’s not uncommon for athlete’s to be put on suspended sentences for having to much caffeine in there system.

That's what my 2nd statement meant I think they are not saying he tested negative on later tests, they're saying after testing positive for the diuretic, they tested him for other substances but found no traces of anything else BUT the diuretic.

I don't have a horse in this race but anybody who knows me knows I'm damn near obsessed with cheating and this sort of thing, spent years here and elsewhere arguing Lance was cheating and would eventually be caught. I think it came from growing up an A's fan and then seeing Canseco and McGwire and hearing all the rumors years before they got caught.

Drug testing is EXTREMELY scientific, it's not BS and when you consider the amount of tests they do, the instances of false positives are actually quite low. Players are trying to get an edge and it's remarkable what they will do to try and beat the system, taking horse steroids and adderall and all sorts of other stuff. If I had to guess I would say Ayton smoked some pot, then decided uh oh I might get tested so he got a diuretic to try and flush his system out and tested positive for that. It's almost unheard of these days for an athlete to test positive and say yeah I did it.

I think 25 games is excessive based on the information we have but I suspect it either means he'd already tested positive before and we didn't know it, or he was suspended because they saw the diuretic use as evidence he was taking something and tried to hide it so they gave him a higher suspension. I would hope it's reduced to more like 10 games or less dependent on what else comes out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s in the anti doping guidelines, I forget his name but a weightlifter from Romania was stripped of his bronze medal, because he had to much caffeine in his system. The point being it’s not difficult too fail a test from common over the counter medications. It’s a really crappy system that rarely catches who they intend to catch. Those guys tend to be way ahead of the curve on beating these test.

Google says Romanian weightlifter Gabriel Sincraian was stripped of a bronze medal but not for caffeine but for "exogenous testosterone" that happened in 2016.

2018 article I found said Caffeine is on the watch list but is NOT banned by WADA even though there's tons of documented evidence that it is a performance enhancer when used to improve endurance. Some tests cited improvements of 1.5 to 5% and it's apparently widely used by triathletes and other endurance athletes who take capsules of it during their competitions.

I have a hard time blaming drug testing when you have cases of people doping themselves with other peoples blood to increase their blood oxygen levels and being caught because they were a man and the blood they used belonged to a woman! There's a famous case in cycling about that where the guy actually claimed the reason he tested positive for womens blood is it was from the unborn twin sister of his. That his body had trace elements of an unborn twin sister. That guy, Tyler Hamilton, eventually admitted he'd doped and made that story up and he was actually a huge part of Lance finally getting caught, the lengths these guys go to is insane.

I seriously doubt Ayton did anything even remotely like that I suspect he smoked pot and then tried to hide it. My guess is that's why the NBAPA is fighting it they like most of us think POT should be legal and should NOT be banned by sports leagues.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really simple. Any pill, powder, capsule, or injection needs to be cleared by the training staff before taking.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really simple. Any pill, powder, capsule, or injection needs to be cleared by the training staff before taking.
Or brownie, or cookie, or sucker, or a myriad of other things in states like Colorado.

if this about pot, he was stupid to try to cover it up. The coverup has a higher penalty than getting caught for pot.

Good news is that maybe he gets off pot altogether. I am not an expert but weed might dampen his competitive edge a bit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the NBAPA will be successful in getting this reduced?

PP21 did not with the NFL.

I am hoping it gets reduced to 10 games.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp say hello to another shot at a goid lottery pic

God dangit ayton finally get a decent pg and this happens

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Welp say hello to another shot at a goid lottery pic

God dangit ayton finally get a decent pg and this happens
I’m not picking on you, but I find “finally” kinda funny considering he hasn’t played an equivalent to a season number of games yet in his career. Lol.