Backpacking thread

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Looks like my backpacking trip is over before it ever began. I turned my ankle at work today and went to urgent care. The Dr. initially thought it was broken or was the worst sprain she had ever seen.

You must be registered for see images

Ouch! Hope you heal up quickly.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Do you get those god-awful commercials in Vegas?

Let me put it this way, Mr. Lerner has a number of well crafted opinions written about him and his associates by the Nevada Supreme Court regarding the ethical practice of law.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, Mr. Lerner has a number of well crafted opinions written about him and his associates by the Nevada Supreme Court regarding the ethical practice of law.

Shocked I tell ya

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like my backpacking trip is over before it ever began. I turned my ankle at work today and went to urgent care. The Dr. initially thought it was broken or was the worst sprain she had ever seen.

That sucks, well heal up soon. The trail will be waiting for you.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My wife sent this to me yesterday, makes a lot of sense. I have been trying to get out for at least a short hike once a week so I can be less of a grumpy over-stressed ass.

Doctors Explain How Hiking Can Actually Change Our Brains
By
Collective Evolution This article was originally published by our friends at Collective Evolution

While it may seem obvious that a good hike through a forest or up a mountain can cleanse your mind, body, and soul, science is now discovering that hiking can actually change your brain… for the better!

Hiking In Nature Can Stop Negative, Obsessive Thoughts
Aside from the almost instant feeling of calm and contentment that accompanies time outdoors, hiking in nature can reduce rumination. Many of us often find ourselves consumed by negative thoughts, which takes us out of the enjoyment of the moment at best and leads us down a path to depression and anxiety at worst. But a recent study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that spending time in nature decreases these obsessive, negative thoughts by a significant margin.

https://wisemindhealthybody.com/col...baR3mAMF42hJyE8aiCnIkUpOcfS205v3Yg3eLfrA9EV9s

Not sure if you all have heard of the Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku or "Forest Bathing", but it is consistent with what this article is saying. https://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife sent this to me yesterday, makes a lot of sense. I have been trying to get out for at least a short hike once a week so I can be less of a grumpy over-stressed ass.

https://wisemindhealthybody.com/col...baR3mAMF42hJyE8aiCnIkUpOcfS205v3Yg3eLfrA9EV9s

Not sure if you all have heard of the Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku or "Forest Bathing", but it is consistent with what this article is saying. https://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/
I absolutely subscribe to that practice. Also important is grounding at least 30 minutes per day. I wear grounding sandals, which have a copper plug in the bottom, whenever possible. Unless I’m barefoot, which is even better.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely avoid watching this video if you want to keep doing the same old thing and are trying to avoid the possibility of af any new adventure in your life.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Definitely avoid watching this video if you want to keep doing the same old thing and are trying to avoid the possibility of af any new adventure in your life.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice. That’s on my list. I think we’re planning on the John Muir trail next.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
We were scheduled to spend 4 days and 3 nights backpacking Havasupai next week, but that has been cancelled and rescheduled for next year.

Plan B is Coyote Gulch in southern Utah. We leave Tuesday 3 days and 2 nights.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/hurricane-wash-to-coyote-gulch

That sucks. I know the wait list for Havasupai is long to begin with. Let us know how Coyote Gulch is. For some reason the pictures didnt come up on all trails.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a shame. Supai is quite special

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk courtesy of puckhead

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if anyone is in need of a 2/3 man backpacking tent, mine I have had since 2007 finally ripped. I went online today at REI and their clearance section just happened to have the upgraded version of the same tent for only about $130. I think I paid $250-$350 back in 2007. highly recommend. I went with a 3 man this time. It added 6-8 ounces but I am willing to add that for a little extra space inside.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...080000&usg=AFQjCNHxKu45VolS15cAilP95HfRB0-gsg

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
if anyone is in need of a 2/3 man backpacking tent, mine I have had since 2007 finally ripped. I went online today at REI and their clearance section just happened to have the upgraded version of the same tent for only about $130. I think I paid $250-$350 back in 2007. highly recommend. I went with a 3 man this time. It added 6-8 ounces but I am willing to add that for a little extra space inside.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...080000&usg=AFQjCNHxKu45VolS15cAilP95HfRB0-gsg
Hahaha....apparently it is a great tent as it is no longer available. Oh well, I have switched to a hammock anyway.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
The two man is still available

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/168428/alps-mountaineering-zephyr-2-tent

Hammocks are awesome. I wanted this just for when I know there is a strong chance for rain and my lady is with me.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Got it. Link for those interested.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/168428/alps-mountaineering-zephyr-2-tent

I would be REALLY tempted to get this but I am about to buy a backpack and I am pretty sure my wife will kill me if I buy a tent too.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Looking for information/advise on clothing. I was thinking that when car camping I wear cotton t-shirts this time of year. I have some shirts that are moisture wicking that I use for running and figured that that would do for backpacking. Is that accurate or do I need something else material wise? I have been hearing long sleeves are needed here in Arizona as sun protection but that is mainly from some pretty fair skinned people. I am, after all, part black (if you dont get that dont be offended. It's an old joke) and have only been burned once or twice in my life. So I guess I am asking that if the temps are somewhere in the 80's are sleeves needed and are they going to make me uncomfortable?

Also want to know about pants as I don't have anything other then my running shorts. Which is fine if they work. I have the same question about the sun and materials as the shirt.

Right now I have:
Hammock
Tarp
Sleeping bag
Under quilt
Stove
Cooking kit
Water filter
Map and compass are my phone (is this a bad idea?)

Still need:
Pack (going to try to get to REI today)
Clothes (have underwear, hat, maybe shirts. Need socks, maybe shirts, pants and ?)
Food (but I think I have a handle on what to take)
First aid kit (going to make one to keep it simple)
Toiletries kit (basically shovel & tp, sanitizer, toothpaste and a toothbrush right? Deodorant?)
Pocket knife (this surprises me that I dont own one. I saw someone say to get a small swiss army knife with scissors?)
Bic lighter

What else?

I feel like I am getting close to ready and its exciting. The goal is to go within a month. Hopefully in 2 weeks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
phone can work for compass and map, all trails is a good app. I want to get a standalone garmin as the GPS works better and lasts longer/has more features. A lot of wilderness, with sprint, I get zero signal and maps wont work.

Wool socks are a must

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
phone can work for compass and map, all trails is a good app. I want to get a standalone garmin as the GPS works better and lasts longer/has more features. A lot of wilderness, with sprint, I get zero signal and maps wont work.

Wool socks are a must

Ditto this.

While at REI, get some Darn Tough Wool Socks - best around.

I also bought a pair of toe socks - thin, undersocks that have toes. Hiked West Fork Oak Creek again. Big difference for my feet between last time a few weeks before - new shoes (Oboz Sawmill) and good socks.

Hiking Poles help a lot - go to Costco and get their Cascade ones for $30.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I took an overnight trip to West Clear Creek Saturday. We wanted to to do the Indian Maiden Falls trail but could convince the wives. We ended up entering at the Bullpen Day Use site. Man is that place a crap show. I used to go there as a kid and camp, but it is completely packed now. Luckily we just hiked about 4.5 miles up creek, well past the camping restrictions and only ran into two other people the time we were there.

We found a nice secluded camp space with a shallow swimming hole and plenty of shade which was a welcome respite after a nearly 5 mile hike in the heat of the afternoon . It was really nice. That night we saw a mother skunk with 3 babies, fireflies (first time seeing them in AZ and I'm a native), and had a small rattler slither through camp when were relaxing around 9PM.

On the way back we found an awesome unoccupied spot only about 2.5 miles from the trailhead with a huge swimming hole and diving cliffs. It would be great for a day trip and still far enough out to keep out the cooler-toters.