15 thoughts - training camp

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What do I look forward to, and what am I interested in hearing about?

1 – Well du’h. Everyone wants to see Kyler Murray, and I am obviously one of “everyone.”

2 – Since K2 has made it a priority to not reveal anything about his offense I think it’s safe to say that we won’t get much of any knowledge about it through training camp, but there will obviously still be reports, especially from position training, so it’s not like we won’t get any idea of what offensive players we can expect the most of.

3 – What can the new players at the defensive line do?

I am way more worried about the defensive line than most fans and pundits seem to be. If players like Darius Philon, Zach Allen, Rodney Gunter, Michael Dogbe or (dare I say) Nkemdiche can step up to play a big amount of snaps alongside Corey Peters, then there is no problem, but I just don’t see that as a given at all.

4 – Will we see the 2016-version of David Johnson that he hasn’t shown since, well, 2016? I know, I know, he has been injured and misused, but I am just saying that the fact remains that he has not been an All Pro-runningback since then, and I guess you are not better than what you showed recently. I have high hopes for him in K2’s offense, but who knows if he just isn’t that good?

5 – It’s been years since we have seen a successful “Keim time signing” (Chris Johnson was really good in 2015, and I guess you could say that Josh Bynes in 2017 was somewhat of a hit as well) during or at the end of camp, and they will surely try again since they always do. Who will it be? Cornerback Morris Claiborne is still out there. So is defensive tackle Corey Liuget. What about bringing back safety Tre Boston, or maybe even edge rusher Sam Acho? Striking for the gold with safety Eric Berry? Are you willing to take a shot on offensive tackle Anthony Davis who hasn’t played for several years but was an outstanding offensive tackle for the Niners from 2010-2014?

6 – If Kevin White lives up to his potential he will easily be the best offseason-acquisition at wide receiver.

7 – Who separates at cornerback and nickelback?

Most insiders seem to think that Robert Alford would take one of the outside spots, but who plays on the other side for the first six weeks? Tramaine Brock? Byron Murphy? Josh Shaw? What about Jalen Thompson? They are obviously high on him since they didn’t want to expose him to free agency where they potentially could have signed him without giving up draft capital, but is he ready, and is he good enough on the outside? Murphy played almost exclusively zone technique at Washington, so would it be better to start him inside? Insiders Paul Calvisi and Darren Urban has their eyes on second year player Chris Jones. Will it be a safety at “nickelback” again? At least there is a lot of options to, so hopefully at least one of them is good.

8 – Does edge rushers Terrell Suggs and Brooks Reed has anything left in the tank? If so, I think they could be very, very important additions, and not only because of what they can produce themselves, but also because of what blocking they can take away from other players. I am especially excited to see Suggs. I am skeptical about him, but what do I know?

9 – Will any of the undrafted guys make an impact? Immanuel Turner or Miles Brown at defensive tackle? Dante Booker at linebacker? Wes Hills or Xavier Turner at runningback?

10 – When one of D.J. Humphries, Justin Pugh or Marcus Gilbert goes down (and one, two or all three of them will), who steps in for them? Newly signed Desmond Harrison? Max Garcia? Mason Cole (if he is not starting already)? Korey Cunningham? Rookies Joshua Miles or Lamont Gaillard? Lots of option, but none I have much confidence in.

11 – Insiders has been talking favorable of linebacker Dennis Gardeck. Considering they will most likely only have one or two linebackers out there on most downs, can Gardeck actually compete for one of those spots? Jordan Hicks are probably a sure bet (also when they only deploy one), provided he can stay healthy (big if), but is Haason Reddick a lock? Is Tanner Vallejo? Is Zeke Turner? I don’t think so.

12 – Ricky Seals-Jones is basically a big wide receiver, but the new guys at tight end, Charles Clay and Maxx Williams is a bit more well-rounded (though they are still best at catching), so will we get any indication of how tight ends will be deployed in K2’s offense?

13 – This is it for Keim after recently being responsible for disasters with a head coach and an entire coaching staff, and screwing up with a first round quarterback that you paid multiple picks for. Sure, Michael Bidwill has been a part of those decisions, but he is obviously not going anywhere, and in the end, it is in Keim’s job description to be responsible for such actions. So, how much is he willing to go all in on success right now? He hired a college head coach, and he spend a lot of money on a new coaching staff. He drafted a quarterback first overall, and he completely overhauled the offense. Is he willing to do more? Is he willing to trade for edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney? Or offensive tackle Trent Williams? Or cornerback Jalen Ramsey? Or someone else?

14 – I wonder why they don’t have a joint practice with another team (which I wonder about every year). A lot of people, who should know, seem to think that joint practice sessions is better than a preseason match because of how everyone is involved, which raises the level of practice, and also it’s more coordinated.

Said one NFL head coach: "We may get a handful of red-area plays in the preseason games. Don't know, we might not. But we know we're going to get probably over 25 today. Same thing on third down-I don't know how many third downs some of our guys who are going to have a lot of playing time during the year are going to get in preseason, but by the end of the week we'll probably have 30 third down situations here.

"You just can't get the reps in preseason games like you can get out here on the practice fields.''

Some teams has more than one joint practice with someone else. There’s surely some coordination with logistic and practical matters that needs to fit for both parties, but I just think it’s strange that the Cards don’t do this.

15 – Remember that the Cardinals are #1 in the waiver wire claiming order, and when teams starts to make roster cuts, an enormous amount of players will be available on the waiver wire. There is bound to be some very interesting options.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

10 – When one of D.J. Humphries, Justin Pugh or Marcus Gilbert goes down (and one, two or all three of them will), who steps in for them? Newly signed Desmond Harrison? Max Garcia? Mason Cole (if he is not starting already)? Korey Cunningham? Rookies Joshua Miles or Lamont Gaillard? Lots of option, but none I have much confidence in.

Guess we don't have to wonder about Harrison anymore.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cardinals-cut-harrison-as-he-faces-felony-charges/vi-AAEthzf

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hicks and Reddick are locks. After that, it's a competition. I think the Cards keep 2/3. Gardeck looks to have a spot. So Vallejo vs. Turner.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good post Gandhi. Every year there are some players that are shockingly released. D-line, LB, and o-line are three areas I think will get help if it presents itself.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank god football is back

I root for the dbacks and suns but just not as much as the cards

And me and my bro and a few friends are going to cards home opener!

Just praying murray makes it through camp and preseason that is what im worried bout the most

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#15 Being #1 on the waiver is not going to last long. I think we have first priority in the waiver wire until the 4th week of the regular season.:)

Yeah, I mostly thought about after training camp and the early weeks where a lot of players will be released. :)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

1 – Well du’h. Everyone wants to see Kyler Murray, and I am obviously one of “everyone.”

2 – Since K2 has made it a priority to not reveal anything about his offense I think it’s safe to say that we won’t get much of any knowledge about it through training camp, but there will obviously still be reports, especially from position training, so it’s not like we won’t get any idea of what offensive players we can expect the most of.

I am way more worried about the defensive line than most fans and pundits seem to be. If players like Darius Philon, Zach Allen, Rodney Gunter, Michael Dogbe or (dare I say) Nkemdiche can step up to play a big amount of snaps alongside Corey Peters, then there is no problem, but I just don’t see that as a given at all.

4 – Will we see the 2016-version of David Johnson that he hasn’t shown since, well, 2016? I know, I know, he has been injured and misused, but I am just saying that the fact remains that he has not been an All Pro-runningback since then, and I guess you are not better than what you showed recently. I have high hopes for him in K2’s offense, but who knows if he just isn’t that good?

5 – It’s been years since we have seen a successful “Keim time signing” (Chris Johnson was really good in 2015, and I guess you could say that Josh Bynes in 2017 was somewhat of a hit as well) during or at the end of camp, and they will surely try again since they always do. Who will it be? Cornerback Morris Claiborne is still out there. So is defensive tackle Corey Liuget. What about bringing back safety Tre Boston, or maybe even edge rusher Sam Acho? Striking for the gold with safety Eric Berry? Are you willing to take a shot on offensive tackle Anthony Davis who hasn’t played for several years but was an outstanding offensive tackle for the Niners from 2010-2014?

6 – If Kevin White lives up to his potential he will easily be the best offseason-acquisition at wide receiver.

Most insiders seem to think that Robert Alford would take one of the outside spots, but who plays on the other side for the first six weeks? Tramaine Brock? Byron Murphy? Josh Shaw? What about Jalen Thompson? They are obviously high on him since they didn’t want to expose him to free agency where they potentially could have signed him without giving up draft capital, but is he ready, and is he good enough on the outside? Murphy played almost exclusively zone technique at Washington, so would it be better to start him inside? Insiders Paul Calvisi and Darren Urban has their eyes on second year player Chris Jones. Will it be a safety at “nickelback” again? At least there is a lot of options to, so hopefully at least one of them is good.

8 – Does edge rushers Terrell Suggs and Brooks Reed has anything left in the tank? If so, I think they could be very, very important additions, and not only because of what they can produce themselves, but also because of what blocking they can take away from other players. I am especially excited to see Suggs. I am skeptical about him, but what do I know?

9 – Will any of the undrafted guys make an impact? Immanuel Turner or Miles Brown at defensive tackle? Dante Booker at linebacker? Wes Hills or Xavier Turner at runningback?

11 – Insiders has been talking favorable of linebacker Dennis Gardeck. Considering they will most likely only have one or two linebackers out there on most downs, can Gardeck actually compete for one of those spots? Jordan Hicks are probably a sure bet (also when they only deploy one), provided he can stay healthy (big if), but is Haason Reddick a lock? Is Tanner Vallejo? Is Zeke Turner? I don’t think so.

12 – Ricky Seals-Jones is basically a big wide receiver, but the new guys at tight end, Charles Clay and Maxx Williams is a bit more well-rounded (though they are still best at catching), so will we get any indication of how tight ends will be deployed in K2’s offense?

13 – This is it for Keim after recently being responsible for disasters with a head coach and an entire coaching staff, and screwing up with a first round quarterback that you paid multiple picks for. Sure, Michael Bidwill has been a part of those decisions, but he is obviously not going anywhere, and in the end, it is in Keim’s job description to be responsible for such actions. So, how much is he willing to go all in on success right now? He hired a college head coach, and he spend a lot of money on a new coaching staff. He drafted a quarterback first overall, and he completely overhauled the offense. Is he willing to do more? Is he willing to trade for edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney? Or offensive tackle Trent Williams? Or cornerback Jalen Ramsey? Or someone else?

14 – I wonder why they don’t have a joint practice with another team (which I wonder about every year). A lot of people, who should know, seem to think that joint practice sessions is better than a preseason match because of how everyone is involved, which raises the level of practice, and also it’s more coordinated.

Said one NFL head coach: "We may get a handful of red-area plays in the preseason games. Don't know, we might not. But we know we're going to get probably over 25 today. Same thing on third down-I don't know how many third downs some of our guys who are going to have a lot of playing time during the year are going to get in preseason, but by the end of the week we'll probably have 30 third down situations here.

"You just can't get the reps in preseason games like you can get out here on the practice fields.''

Some teams has more than one joint practice with someone else. There’s surely some coordination with logistic and practical matters that needs to fit for both parties, but I just think it’s strange that the Cards don’t do this.

15 – Remember that the Cardinals are #1 in the waiver wire claiming order, and when teams starts to make roster cuts, an enormous amount of players will be available on the waiver wire. There is bound to be some very interesting options.

Love your post. That being said, you can now strike Desmond Harrison from the worry list. He gone lol.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So after making this post, Robert Nkemdiche, Max Garcia, Charles Clay and Brooks Reed has been put on the PUP-list, though they are eligible to return at any time. Immanuel Turner has been cut. And training camp has not even started yet.

Oh well, roster moves will be made many times until camp is over.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So after making this post, Robert Nkemdiche, Max Garcia, Charles Clay and Brooks Reed has been put on the PUP-list, though they are eligible to return at any time. Immanuel Turner has been cut. And training camp has not even started yet.

Oh well, roster moves will be made many times until camp is over.

At least we were expecting NK and Garcia to be on PUP, Garcia will likely be out half the season on IR eligible to return intentionally

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose