Kelly Oubre...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just remembered offer sheets to RFA’s need to be at least 3 years guaranteed. That rules out the Clippers and Lakers. I’m starting to expect him to sign the QO and hit FA next year.
I hadn’t known that. That’s very interesting.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I absolutely don’t think it’s a lock he’s going to the Lakers but I am getting tired of waiting on him (even though it’s only been 48 hours). I just want to see this last wave of dominoes fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is nothing. Do you all remember how long we had to wait on Bledsoe? He just went dark for months.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they have a deal worked out already. Surely there would have been a single rumor about Oubre and another team if there was any chance a deal wasn't getting worked out. Right?
If they weren't close on a deal or already have one worked out you would think that Oubre's agent would probably get some rumors out there to try and raise the price. I have yet to hear a single rumor about Oubre this off season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they weren't close on a deal or already have one worked out you would think that Oubre's agent would probably get some rumors out there to try and raise the price. I have yet to hear a single rumor about Oubre this off season.

Oubre's agent is the same as Ayton's. I think that might help us some in the negotiation here with Oubre. He knows that a max deal will be on the table in 2 years for Ayton and I can't see him doing anything now that might make that a little more difficult to negotiate. He'll be dealing with the Suns for years to come since he reps 2 of the top 3 players here, if you include Oubre, and while I'm sure he is out to get Oubre paid this summer, I don't think he'll do anything in attempt to artificially increase Oubre's price.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oubre's agent is the same as Ayton's. I think that might help us some in the negotiation here with Oubre. He knows that a max deal will be on the table in 2 years for Ayton and I can't see him doing anything now that might make that a little more difficult to negotiate. He'll be dealing with the Suns for years to come since he reps 2 of the top 3 players here, if you include Oubre, and while I'm sure he is out to get Oubre paid this summer, I don't think he'll do anything in attempt to artificially increase Oubre's price.
There is nothing shady about talking with other teams and getting it out there that you are in order to make your guy seem more suoght after. If he was spreading negative rumors about the Suns to somehow bring up the price I would agree, but I see nothing wrong with what I'm talking about.

Also Ayton is likely going to be a shoe in for the max when his time comes (assuming he keeps developing) and thus I don't see much negotiating happening in that regard. They even signed Rubio to only 3 years because they were likely making sure they have plenty of money coming off the books the year that Ayton's extension would kick in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing shady about talking with other teams and getting it out there that you are in order to make your guy seem more suoght after. If he was spreading negative rumors about the Suns to somehow bring up the price I would agree, but I see nothing wrong with what I'm talking about.

Also Ayton is likely going to be a shoe in for the max when his time comes (assuming he keeps developing) and thus I don't see much negotiating happening in that regard. They even signed Rubio to only 3 years because they were likely making sure they have plenty of money coming off the books the year that Ayton's extension would kick in.

I'm not saying he's doing anything shady, we would have heard something if he was. I do believe having another client here would keep him from doing anything that could be perceived as shady, which is good. This shouldn't be long and drawn out like it was back when we resigned Bledsoe, which took a month or so. I don't think we'll see Oubre play out this season on his qualifying offer either.

Last rumor I heard was that the team and Oubre have a deal in place but they're waiting to announce it for when Kelly announces the official launch of his "Valley Boyz" clothing brand. Announcing both at once lets him get a little more time in the spotlight and makes both announcements seem a little bigger. It's a waiting game now because everyone knows that Oubre has to sign last to allow the other moves that the Suns have made to work out because they can go over the cap to sign him. Nothing can be made official until the 6th so he's trying to hype things up and build anticipation with his #Shhh stuff on Twitter.

We'll hear from the team or Oubre about a deal on either the 6th or the 7th and it'll be him resigning here and launching his "Valley Boyz" gear. The 6th is when deals can officially be signed and they'll get everyone else taken care of officially, Rubio and Kaminsky, and probably wait the extra day just to give Kelly more of a spotlight on his own. If a deal isn't announced by Monday, I'd be very surprised but I'm fairly confident we'll hear something this weekend.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's doing anything shady, we would have heard something if he was. I do believe having another client here would keep him from doing anything that could be perceived as shady, which is good. This shouldn't be long and drawn out like it was back when we resigned Bledsoe, which took a month or so. I don't think we'll see Oubre play out this season on his qualifying offer either.

Last rumor I heard was that the team and Oubre have a deal in place but they're waiting to announce it for when Kelly announces the official launch of his "Valley Boyz" clothing brand. Announcing both at once lets him get a little more time in the spotlight and makes both announcements seem a little bigger. It's a waiting game now because everyone knows that Oubre has to sign last to allow the other moves that the Suns have made to work out because they can go over the cap to sign him. Nothing can be made official until the 6th so he's trying to hype things up and build anticipation with his #Shhh stuff on Twitter.

We'll hear from the team or Oubre about a deal on either the 6th or the 7th and it'll be him resigning here and launching his "Valley Boyz" gear. The 6th is when deals can officially be signed and they'll get everyone else taken care of officially, Rubio and Kaminsky, and probably wait the extra day just to give Kelly more of a spotlight on his own. If a deal isn't announced by Monday, I'd be very surprised but I'm fairly confident we'll hear something this weekend.
That rumor is right in line with what I am guessing is happening as well. It just seems unlikely to me that he wouldn't at least be getting some attention from other teams if he was still available to other teams. Of course maybe he is just being held up by the Kawhi decision, but I'm not so sure about that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

All of that sounds good but if the Lakers throw a 100m contract at him there will be a problem.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that sounds good but if the Lakers throw a 100m contract at him there will be a problem.

If they throw 100 million at him then I'd hate to see him go but I wouldn't want the Suns to pay $25 million a year to keep him. I doubt the Lakers would do that though. If he were a guard, then I might be worried but he's not. They have 3 players under contract and Oubre plays the same position as 2 of them, Lebron and Kuzma, so if they blew all of their money on him to have him come off the bench then I'd let them do it and enjoy watching the issues they have next season trying to make everything work.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If they throw 100 million at him then I'd hate to see him go but I wouldn't want the Suns to pay $25 million a year to keep him. I doubt the Lakers would do that though. If he were a guard, then I might be worried but he's not. They have 3 players under contract and Oubre plays the same position as 2 of them, Lebron and Kuzma, so if they blew all of their money on him to have him come off the bench then I'd let them do it and enjoy watching the issues they have next season trying to make everything work.
Exactly. They have way too many holes to fill to be able to throw a ton of money at what would be a role player for them. The other teams that have the space still also don't seem like teams that are going to throw enough at him to scare us off either. I suspect he will end up signing something around 4/48 if I had to guess. Could be a little more or a little less, but I think that is close.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. They have way too many holes to fill to be able to throw a ton of money at what would be a role player for them. The other teams that have the space still also don't seem like teams that are going to throw enough at him to scare us off either. I suspect he will end up signing something around 4/48 if I had to guess. Could be a little more or a little less, but I think that is close.

I think your estimate is at the low end, I'd be really happy to see him sign for that amount but I'm thinking it will cost around $15 million annually. I don't really have a preference between 4 or 5 years. I guess 5 would have him expiring at the same time as Booker but a 4 year deal might allow us to retool before resigning Booker again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think your estimate is at the low end, I'd be really happy to see him sign for that amount but I'm thinking it will cost around $15 million annually. I don't really have a preference between 4 or 5 years. I guess 5 would have him expiring at the same time as Booker but a 4 year deal might allow us to retool before resigning Booker again.
Could also consider a 3 year deal. Only reason being that you would then have $30+ coming off the books between Oubre and Rubio in the same off season that Ayton will be enterring the first year of his extension. Though I would probably opt to get that one extra year of him under contract myself.

Also isn't there a limit to the amount of 5 year contracts you can have on your roster? Don't remember the particulars, but I remember that being a thing.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

Good points, hope your are right.

Also, I'd be shocked if he signed at 4/48.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I don't see any issues with the Suns and Oubre. They can agree on a contract or the framework now, just like the Suns have done with Rubio. However, they still have wheeling and dealing to do if the Rubio numbers are correct to come up with an additional $2.7-2.9 mil to sign him before they can do anything with Oubre. If they announce the framework or the "accepted" contract info to the public, then that hurts the Suns bargaining efforts in any potential trades (JJ, TJ, Melton, etc). Everyone already knows we need a little less than $3mil for Rubio.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know old NBA players have said, they felt the GMs respected them by saying, "You are our guy. We respect you. Go out and get the best deal you can, and we are going to match it." How do we know James Jones didn't say that Oubre?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know old NBA players have said, they felt the GMs respected them by saying, "You are our guy. We respect you. Go out and get the best deal you can, and we are going to match it." How do we know James Jones didn't say that Oubre?
If the team believes that they might save money by letting the market dictate than that makes sense, but if they believe they could save money by making a fair offer up front and getting an agreement they would be all over that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the team believes that they might save money by letting the market dictate than that makes sense, but if they believe they could save money by making a fair offer up front and getting an agreement they would be all over that.
I can't remember who it was in Suns history. The market did work in their favor. The Suns matched, and told them to get their money because bottom line they didn't want them playing and feeling the Suns lowballed them. I can see that. What if I take an offer from the Suns, then my agent goes, by the way New York just called and they would have given you X. As a human, you may have wanted to stay in Phoenix, but if X was big, you feel like you lost money.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I can't remember who it was in Suns history. The market did work in their favor. The Suns matched, and told them to get their money because bottom line they didn't want them playing and feeling the Suns lowballed them. I can see that. What if I take an offer from the Suns, then my agent goes, by the way New York just called and they would have given you X. As a human, you may have wanted to stay in Phoenix, but if X was big, you feel like you lost money.
I get what you're saying, but that's why it is important to make sure you are giving a fair offer. If a player accepts what the team deems to be a fair offer and they find out they could have gotten a little more from someone else that would be on the player. At least in that scenario the difference would be minimal and thus the player likely wouldn't feel like they got screwed.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

If I remember right it was Q Rich

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A concern that just came to mind . . . Oubre has been all about the Valley Boyz. But what if we just shipped a few out with JJ, Melton, maybe okobo? We don’t know who oubre’s Valley Boyz were.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A concern that just came to mind . . . Oubre has been all about the Valley Boyz. But what if we just shipped a few out with JJ, Melton, maybe okobo? We don’t know who oubre’s Valley Boyz were.

If keeping someone happy requires keeping a disaster like Jackson and a 4th string PG like Melton then we're screwed anyway.

Jackson being on the way out has been obvious for a while, didn't seem to effect Oubre's obvious praise of the team on twitter and I really doubt anyone is going to go to war for Melton.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose