Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m kind of numb here. Way to max out on a guy who has peaked.

Bright side: facilitates, passing, frees up booker, more feeds to Ayton, steals. Keep Tyler and Oubre

Down side: no shooting, disappoints Booker. No more roster improvements outside of waiving/trading JJ and Tyler.

Yeah, next years draft is only hope for improvement - and after this last draft - that does not fill me with confidence.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Would have preferred DLO or Brogdon but it could be much worse (Rozier or Joseph) so I'll take it. Rubio isn't great by any means but he's a solid starting PG in the NBA and at least we don't have to rely on backups/G-League players to run the team on offense. Rubio can pass, defend and I am optimistic that he can get his shooting to at least a decent level for us.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we did, and he preferred Indiana. It has to be a two way street.

You are wasting your time. He's not a Suns fan. Look over his posts, he changes his opinion based on a player being a Sun or not. He's talking up Dedmon in another thread after bashing the idea of signing him previously when he was suggested as a signing. He even liked the idea of signing Rubio until it happened. He's a troll, straight up. It's not hard to see. You will never see him post anything remotely positive, it's all how stupid the Suns are, constantly. They are dumb, I'm not disputing that, but there is a difference between a fan criticizing their favorite team and the moves they make vs someone who hates the team and looks to ruin other fans enjoyment of that team, which is what he tries to do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m kind of numb here. Way to max out on a guy who has peaked.

Bright side: facilitates, passing, frees up booker, more feeds to Ayton, steals. Keep Tyler and Oubre

Down side: no shooting, disappoints Booker. No more roster improvements outside of waiving/trading JJ and Tyler.

If Booker wanted Russell and was not on board with this signing, the Suns' front office is about to implode...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Paid to high should have tried to get Brogdon or Rozier.

Give up picks and land Brogdon

Rubio trash

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Rubio, Jerome, Leque
2. Booker Tyler Johnson
3. Oubre, Bridges, Jackson, Cam Johnson
4. Saric, ?
5. Ayton, Baynes

We need a back up 4. Not sure what happens with our glut of wings unless they plan to play some at the 4. I gotta think Okobo and Melton are gone.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All indications where that he was going to go to Indiana (a playoff team) before they were able to snag Brogdon.

Yeah - they were smart enough to make the move for a quality player instead. Not settle.

That's apparently why they are a playoff team and the Suns are the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I think this is a bad value contract, I like reading this. And Rubio will make us better. So will saric. And likely cam will as well. Unfortunately all of them also serve to cap our ceiling for the foreseeable future imo. It’s like the suns front office is shooting for a team that maxes out at 45-48 wins and on again off again 7-8th seeds.

Unfortunately players are earning a lot more money these days. I'm suffering from sticker shock for sure.

Suns contracts that expire next season are Saric, David Johnson and maybe Jackson so they should be all right with the new cap.

Anyway, I view Booker, Ayton and Oubre as their pillars going forward. There is Bridges as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
1. Rubio, Jerome, Leque
2. Booker Tyler Johnson
4. Saric, ?
5. Ayton, Baynes

We need a back up 4. Not sure what happens with our glut of wings unless they plan to play some at the 4. I gotta think Okobo and Melton are gone.
Unless there's a trade, I am sad we won't get a back up PF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would have preferred DLO or Brogdon but it could be much worse (Rozier or Joseph) so I'll take it. Rubio isn't great by any means but he's a solid starting PG in the NBA and at least we don't have to rely on backups/G-League players to run the team on offense. Rubio can pass, defend and I optimistic that he can get his shooting to at least a decent level for us.

He was in an offense where Donovan Mitchell and Joe Ingles were the only scoring threats. Teams could clog the inside or sag off of Favors and Gobert so Rubio didn't get to play like he was used to in Minnesota. He did ok there but I think you're right about getting better looks here. He'll be on the floor with 3 shooters plus Ayton. It will be much different than Utah. Booker likes to drive, like Mitchell, but he's more comfortable shooting from outside and I think we'll see his 3pt% take a nice jump this year with Rubio setting him up and not having to be the primary playmaker himself anymore.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Rubio, Jerome, Leque
2. Booker Tyler Johnson
4. Saric, ?
5. Ayton, Baynes

Assuming we re-sign Oubre, I would say we need a starting 4, but we agree that the Suns still need another 4. I think it is a foregone conclusion that Josh Jackson is gone. Tyler Johnson might be as well. I think one, if not both, of Okobo and Melton remain on the roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After how low my expectations plummeted, I am thrilled.

He's a solid player, an actual starting caliber point guard, a really solid defender AND he can make an entry pass!

Probably my 3rd preferred option after Brodgon and Russell.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there's a trade, I am sad we won't get a back up PF.

Enter the Dragan!

I could see Bender coming back on the cheap. He has a fellow countryman in Saric here and I think he'd do well in a bench role where not much is expected of him. We'll see, I guess it depends on if anyone else thinks he's worth more than $2 million a year. If the Suns sign him for more than the Bi-Annual exception it's too much.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And? That may be an anomaly, not the norm. We'll have to see.

Bottom line is that we needed someone at the PG position with certain skills. Rubio fits all those skills. Sure he needs to work on his shooting, but that's not the primary reason we NEEDED a PG.

An anomaly?

Look at his stats - here is his career shooting %

.388 FG% .322 3PT%

He is a terrible shooter - and has been every year for 8 seasons.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Assuming we re-sign Oubre, I would say we need a starting 4, but we agree that the Suns still need another 4. I think it is a foregone conclusion that Josh Jackson is gone. Tyler Johnson might be as well. I think one, if not both, of Okobo and Melton remain on the roster.
No doubt. The only way we get another 4 is maybe trade JJ for a 4, or some combination involving JJ. Unless we trade Melton for an equivalent PF. Maybe G league PF?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
An anomaly?

Look at his stats - here is his career shooting %

.388 FG% .322 3PT%

He is a terrible shooter - and has been every year for 8 seasons.
What's his assist and steal averages?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio's real +/- the last 4 years as a PG ranking:

Mixed bag here. It shows a guy on the downside but he is only 28 so I expect him back in the teens

Having a PG in the teens instead of in the 30s is really great

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Yeah - they were smart enough to make the move for a quality player instead. Not settle.

Just out of curiosity who did you want us to get as a pg (no pie in the sky stuff)?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And they had to give up a 1st for that chance. The Suns aren't a playoff team right now so trading a 1st on the chance someone like Brogdon makes them a playoff team in the West is a steep price, especially when you need to pay him $22 million a year on top of parting with that 1st round pick, which is a likely lottery pick. How good of a playmaker is Brogdon anyways? I like Brogdon for his shooting and defense but he's not a playmaker, Rubio is, and that's what this team needs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have Tyler Johnson, Baynes, and Josh Jackson coming off the books next year. That will give the Suns about $35 million in space, factor in some of that for Oubre, probably $15 million, and the Suns will have money to spend next summer. They can add another piece like this year. Perhaps going for their PF of the future if Saric doesn't work out. We are in a good position in terms of the cap. I'm not trying to sell anyone on "next year" but this deal doesn't kill us in terms of future flexibility and it does provide a starting PG for 3 years.
Meh we were sold “wait until next summer!” Last year. And while improved, not a single exciting, big time franchise move. Another offseason like this one will be considered treading water. The worst place in the nba imo. Perma-mediocrity.