Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get Oubre resigned and it's not a terrible off-season. The draft is full of question marks - Johnson/Jerome better not be total flops, or someone needs to answer for that. But get Oubre back and the team as a whole has probably improved, if not by an enormous measure.

Depends on your definition of terrible - but it certainly is a bad offseason.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conley is definitely an upgrade for them. You said Rubio couldn’t be a starter for a playoff team... but he was.

If that is how you took it, I must not have phrased it correctly.

What I meant is no playoff team wants him to play for them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Offensively, that's exactly what we needed...except I remain concerned that opposing defenses will sag and just dare Rubio to shoot...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Offensively, that's exactly what we needed...except I remain concerned that opposing defenses will sag and just dare Rubio to shoot...
Every team, even play off teams, have one guy the other teams sag off of.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of terrible - but it certainly is a bad offseason.

Well, not as good as we could wish, for sure. But not as awful as I could easily imagine them doing... this is the Suns we're talking about, so have to grade on a curve.

And Oubre is not resigned yet, so it could still be a disaster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, technically true.

What I mean is he is a below average starter obviously.

I really do not think he makes the Suns any better - I feel like this is wasted money.
Oh my. Of course he makes them better. He knows how to pass the ball into the post. He is still a decent defender, and his outside shooting has improved to slighly below average. He takes bringing the ball up pressure off of Book and makes Ayton better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get Oubre resigned and it's not a terrible off-season. The draft is full of question marks - Johnson/Jerome better not be total flops, or someone needs to answer for that. But get Oubre back and the team as a whole has probably improved, if not by an enormous measure.

This is the way to look at it. Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Booker are their core.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
As much as I think this is a bad value contract, I like reading this. And Rubio will make us better. So will saric. And likely cam will as well. Unfortunately all of them also serve to cap our ceiling for the foreseeable future imo. It’s like the suns front office is shooting for a team that maxes out at 45-48 wins and on again off again 7-8th seeds.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except he was the starting PG on a playoff team. So why claim he's not?

Ok fine - he was.

Any g-leaguer can be on a playoff team if the rest of the team is good enough.

He is not a good starter - that is my point.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If that is how you took it, I must not have phrased it correctly.

What I meant is no playoff team wants him to play for them.
All indications where that he was going to go to Indiana (a playoff team) before they were able to snag Brogdon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the Suns point guard rotation last season.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Last season, the Suns' point guard rotation at the beginning of last season was Isaiah Canaan, Jamal Crawford, Elie Okobo and De'Anthony Melton. This season, the Suns' point guard rotation will be Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome. That's an upgrade.

3:49 PM - 30 Jun 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All indications where that he was going to go to Indiana (a playoff team) before they were able to snag Brogdon.

That he was...which makes me wonder why we didn't just make a play for Brogdon, who would have been the ideal signing, in my opinion...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I think this is a bad value contract, I like reading this. And Rubio will make us better. So will saric. And likely cam will as well. Unfortunately all of them also serve to cap our ceiling for the foreseeable future imo. It’s like the suns front office is shooting for a team that maxes out at 45-48 wins and on again off again 7-8th seeds.

We have Tyler Johnson, Baynes, and Josh Jackson coming off the books next year. That will give the Suns about $35 million in space, factor in some of that for Oubre, probably $15 million, and the Suns will have money to spend next summer. They can add another piece like this year. Perhaps going for their PF of the future if Saric doesn't work out. We are in a good position in terms of the cap. I'm not trying to sell anyone on "next year" but this deal doesn't kill us in terms of future flexibility and it does provide a starting PG for 3 years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh my. Of course he makes them better. He knows how to pass the ball into the post. He is still a decent defender, and his outside shooting has improved to slighly below average. He takes bringing the ball up pressure off of Book and makes Ayton better.

Last year was his worst shooting year in 5 years.

40% fg, 31% from 3.

Melton is literally as good of a shooter as him.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
That he was...which makes me wonder why we didn't just make a play for Brogdon, who would have been the ideal signing, in my opinion...
Maybe we did, and he preferred Indiana. It has to be a two way street.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not true. The Sixers guy people sagged and was daring him to shoot from the outside.

And at 6'10", he made opposing defenses pay by shooting 56.3% from the field.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m kind of numb here. Way to max out on a guy who has peaked.

Bright side: facilitates, passing, frees up booker, more feeds to Ayton, steals. Keep Tyler and Oubre

Down side: no shooting, disappoints Booker. No more roster improvements outside of waiving/trading JJ and Tyler.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Last year was his worst shooting year in 5 years.

40% fg, 31% from 3.

Melton is literally as good of a shooter as him.
And? That may be an anomaly, not the norm. We'll have to see.

Bottom line is that we needed someone at the PG position with certain skills. Rubio fits all those skills. Sure he needs to work on his shooting, but that's not the primary reason we NEEDED a PG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose