Oklahoma City Thunder - Kyle Singler
Portland Trailblazers - Andrew Nicholson, Anderson Varejao, Festus Ezeli
Toronto Raptors - Justin Hamilton
Washington Wizards - Martell Webster
Those don’t all fit the $19M threshold.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed, I was very optimistic leading up to the draft. I figured at the very least this off-season, we'd have another potential stud at #6 to be excited about. I wanted either a PG or a 3 and D PF, so Garland, White, or Hunter.

The way I see it, we need 3pt shooting and defense around Booker and Ayton. Since neither Garland nor White are notable defenders, I thought drafting Hunter and getting a veteran PG was our best course of action. I believe the Suns had something similar to this in mind as well, which is why when Atlanta traded ahead of us, we made the trade to move back to take Johnson, knowing Atlanta intended to take Hunter.

Initially, this really, really pissed me off. Yes, Hunter and Garland were off the board, but White was still available. What the hell were we doing trading back to take Johnson? His 3pt shooting is great but his defense isnt good and he's yet another SF.

After a couple of days to cool off and think about the pick, here is what I think.

Johnson is listed as a SF and is only about 210 pounds. Yet, he's 6'9", with plenty of room to fill out his frame. He will get bigger. He will be able to play the 4.

Johnson's defense may be underrated. According to his advanced defensive metrics, he was a vastly improved defender last season than he was at any previous point in his 5 year college career.

Why was this?

Well, maybe he learned to play better defense. But maybe that's not all. Last year, he had a hip surgery that improved his mobility better than it has been since high school. He is able to get deeper in his defensive stance, fight through screens, change directions, close out on shooters.

If he can sustain quality defense and even continue to improve upon it, maybe he can be that 3 and D PF that I covet.

I hope, I hope.

Side note:
In studying Cam Johnson, I watched a good bit of UNC tape, and so caught a good bit of Coby White. While there's a lot to like about White, I did notice how high a dribble he has. The ball is not on a string. I got the impression I was watching a wing player that was filling in at PG.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/38105519

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cameron-johnson-4.html

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a recap of Johnson on Gambo & Burns the other day.

Link to the show, https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/cam-johnson-phoenix-suns-draftee

I took the recap from Reddit but it is accurate.

• He was expecting to go in mid to late teens with early 20s being the latest.

• Worked out for Phoenix about a week after the combine. Said it felt different. Loves the area.

• Three teams he thought he was most likely to go to were New Orleans at 17 (who apparently had Cam Johnson "VERY" high on their board according to Burns and Gambo), OKC at 21, and Philadelphia (assuming) at 24 before they traded to 20.

• No issues with his hips, feels better than ever. Surgery was a corrective thing, something not to get back to an old level but to get to a higher level.

• Warriors LOVED him. Really wanted him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite his improvement this past season pairing Russell with Booker is a bad idea.

He is still an inefficient shooter who plays little defense. That's the exact opposite what the doctor ordered for Booker.
I agree with this. Both Russell and Randle are not good fits for this team, even offensively. The ball will not flow well. Saric is a nice addition. A player like Brogdon or Jrue would be good.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been watching some film on Cam Johnson trying to see what the Suns see.

Not only is he a good shooter, he has a very tight motion and quick release. His catch and shoot three—he does not bring the ball down below chest level. That will be a big help in the NBA.

That is something I guess.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m really rooting for this kid. Hearing his back story tells me he works his ass off. You don’t go from unknown to lottery pick by accident. He’s hands down regarded as the best shooter in the draft shot 48% from corner 3s and like 43% from nba range in school oh and he’s 6’9. I’ll take that.

This pick seems to be the exact opposite of our last GM’s bread and butter. He’s low ceiling high character guy who works hard the other guy liked high ceiling guys who were head cases(Bender, Chriss, Jackson)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m really rooting for this kid. Hearing his back story tells me he works his ass off. You don’t go from unknown to lottery pick by accident. He’s hands down regarded as the best shooter in the draft shot 48% from corner 3s and like 43% from nba range in school oh and he’s 6’9. I’ll take that.

This pick seems to be the exact opposite of our last GM’s bread and butter. He’s low ceiling high character guy who works hard the other guy liked high ceiling guys who were head cases(Bender, Chriss, Jackson)

Some of these "low ceiling" guys end up being good NBA players.

IMO to make it in the NBA, you need at least one really good trait that helps a team win. That doesnt include jumping, wing span, or long arms.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Some of these "low ceiling" guys end up being good NBA players.

IMO to make it in the NBA, you need at least one really good trait that helps a team win. That doesnt include jumping, wing span, or long arms.
His scoring skill set honestly reminds me quite a bit of Booker. I don't suspect he will develop the ballhandling, passing and killer instinct that Booker has, but he seems like he can score in a very similar fashion.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His scoring skill set honestly reminds me quite a bit of Booker. I don't suspect he will develop the ballhandling, passing and killer instinct that Booker has, but he seems like he can score in a very similar fashion.

Yep Booker was a high floor, low ceiling guy.

Everyone said all he could do was hit open jumpers and set threes.

From pick 10 on, teams are basically gambling on potential or picking role players.

Jones basically said that he was looking for less kids, more veteran types. IMO we all read the tea leaves wrong, Cam is the type of player he's talking about.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

From pick 10 on, teams are basically gambling on potential or picking role players.

Jones basically said that he was looking for less kids, more veteran types. IMO we all read the tea leaves wrong, Cam is the type of player he's talking about.

Too bad that with all of this accumulation of role players, we still lack the star talent it takes to compete in the NBA, not to mention lacking anyone who can actually create shots for all of these guys who need shots created for them.

It's like we need to assemble a Justice League, and we are bringing in nothing but Robins without Batman's gadgets...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Yep. Cam, Jerome, Saric and Baynes all fit the mold of guys that will likely be able to help us next year. Obviously not a guarantee with the 2 rookies, but they have a better chance of helping year one then most of the other guys we could have picked.

Of course they both still have some chance of being very good as well as they are both considered to be skilled basketball players with high IQ.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Too bad that with all of this accumulation of role players, we still lack the star talent it takes to compete in the NBA, not to mention lacking anyone who can actually create shots for all of these guys who need shots created for them.

It's like we need to assemble a Justice League, and we are bringing in nothing but Robins without Batman's gadgets...

If you thought Coby White or Jarrett Culver are going to be "stars", then I think you are delusional.

The Suns have two players that can be or are stars. The Suns need to surround these two with good role players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep. Cam, Jerome, Saric and Baynes all fit the mold of guys that will likely be able to help us next year. Obviously not a guarantee with the 2 rookies, but they have a better chance of helping year one then most of the other guys we could have picked.

Of course they both still have some chance of being very good as well as they are both considered to be skilled basketball players with high IQ.

Backup, three point shooting wing
Backup heady guard
Starting PF
Back up big man

More salary flexibility

The Suns are a better team, and can be substantially better depending on free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you thought Coby White or Jarrett Culver are going to be "stars", then I think you are delusional.

The Suns have two players that can be or are stars. The Suns need to surround these two with good role players.

I wanted no part of Culver. As for White, I thought he at least had the potential to create shots for others.

The offense as it stands right now will consist of just passing the ball along the perimeter and then settling for contested jumpers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Backup, three point shooting wing, who can't do anything else
Backup heady guard
Backup PF
Back up big man, who will either be bought out or glued to the end of the bench

More salary flexibility, to the tune of a whopping $1.5 million

The Suns are not a better team, and will not do a darn thing in free agency that will improve the roster, despite still having two gaping holes in the starting line-up (and three, if Oubre is gone).

FIFY.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wanted no part of Culver. As for White, I thought he at least had the potential to create shots for others.

The offense as it stands right now will consist of just passing the ball along the perimeter and then settling for contested jumpers.

Which they are better equipped to do. I know you dislike Johnson, but he can play PG better than the scrubs they had at the beginning of last season.

I was never a big fan of White, because I just dont see him becoming a very good NBA PG. He can score, but hes below average as a distributor. TJ Warren of PGs.

Saric/Cam > White. I say this because I dont think White is an ideal PG. Hes a combo guard who wont fit well at either guard position.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Empire podcast brought up an interesting point. How are the Suns doing medical evaluations on prospects with the uncertainty of the medical staff?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Empire podcast brought up an interesting point. How are the Suns doing medical evaluations on prospects with the uncertainty of the medical staff?
They still have a medical staff. They just don't have the head trainer anymore. According to their official website they still have a full medical staff employed.

Medical Staff
  • Dr. Tom Carter: Head Team Physician (Orthopedist)
  • Dr. Tom Fiel: Team Physician (Internal Medicine)
  • Dr. Tim Byrne: Cardiologist
  • Dr. Monte Hessler: Chiropractor
  • Dr. John Badolato: Dentist
  • Dr. William Ko: Dermatologist
  • Dr. Jay Schwartz: Ophthalmologist
  • Dr. Ryan Rehl: Otolaryngology (ENT)
  • Dr. Ryan Golub: Podiatrist
  • Jay McCoy: Psychiatrist
  • Dr. V "Bob" Evani: Surgeon

https://www.nba.com/suns/directory/staff#gref

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They actually show David Crewe as their head athletic trainer as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I saw that from the link you posted but don’t remember the hire.
Yeah I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been mention of it considering people questioning the Suns ability to assess medical records. It could have alleviated some of that criticism.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been mention of it considering people questioning the Suns ability to assess medical records. It could have alleviated some of that criticism.
They don’t seem to be doing press releases for any of the hires, from the training staff to the assistant coaches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose