Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just remember Utah got to trade so little because Memphis wanted Conley's contract gone so bad. Memphis got rid of Conley and got back some usable pieces in return. It was a win/win for both clubs. Utah is trying to take it's shot since next season suddenly looks open for the trophy! Surprised we aren't hearing more movement in the NBA right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I am just hoping Tyus Jones is the plan because he could be really good next to Booker and Minnesota is in a bad place with cap.

However, they are shouting from the rooftops this plan:

#1. Draft either White, Culver, Hunter, or Clarke

#2. Take an mediocre starting PG from free agency on a cheap deal

#3. Keep Tyler Johnson (Gambo has been calling him a good player for 2 days) and let him play with the Mediocre guard

#4. Sign Oubre to a big deal

#5. Use MLE on a PF

Tyus Jones sounds like one of the better options. Rubio is looking better as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyus Jones sounds like one of the better options. Rubio is looking better as well.

I mean do you not realize how sad it is that you are saying these two are good options? These are guys no other team in the league wants to be their starting PG.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I mean do you not realize how sad it is that you are saying these two are good options? These are guys no other team in the league wants to be their starting PG.
No, what's sad is on no other team in the NBA would these guys be the undispusted starter. :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used the word "better" instead of "good" for a reason because it is comparative to the players the Suns are reportedly considering such as Joseph.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used the word "better" instead of "good" for a reason because it is comparative to the players the Suns are reportedly considering such as Joseph.

I don't even really agree with that. Jones and Rubio are crap. Jones and Joseph are very similar - very bad.

I would much rather play a young guy with potential over a career backup that has no hope of ever being adequate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even really agree with that. Jones and Rubio are crap. Jones and Joseph are very similar - very bad.

I would much rather play a young guy with potential over a career backup that has no hope of ever being adequate.

So are you wanting to start a rookie point guard?

Besides, Tyus Jones is young.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Adrian Wojnarowski's tweet posted by Mainstreet above. It's just the protected future first rounder. It seems that everybody but the Suns is resourceful enough to acquire the high level player they need for pennies on the dollar...

There are two tweets in the post you refer to, one shows the 23 pick in addition to the future pick. And ESPN is still showing both picks when the deal scrolls across the bottom. I don't know who is right for sure but it seems to boil down to who do you trust the most, Woj or Woj?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Jones has hope. Joseph and Rubio do not.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, what's sad is on no other team in the NBA would these guys be the undispusted starter. :(

I disagree on Jones. He has a ton of potential. I believe Minnesota would rather keep him over Teague.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I disagree on Jones. He has a ton of potential. I believe Minnesota would rather keep him over Teague.
He was the back up last season from what I am reading. Granted he had two really good point guards in front of him. But still, he wasn't even the starter on his team, but would have clearly been the starter on ours! I like that move because we got Bledsoe the same way since he was mired behind Chris Paul. Recently, Richaun Holmes proved he could play once he was out from behind the Centers in Philly. Finding guys stuck behind starters has worked for us recently.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jones is nothing like Joseph.

As a starter last year he put up these numbers at age 22. He didn't get to start until Teague got injured

10.8 points, 7.5 assists. 1 turnover. 1.5 steals 2.6 rebounds.

In April he took off even more as he got used to starting

11.7 points, 8.5 assists. 0.5 TO. 1.2 steals 2.7 rebounds.

He is a pass first PG who doesn't turn over the ball and is an excellent defender at the age of 23.

Honestly it is whom we should have been targeting all along

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW Tyus Jones has the NBA record for assist to turnover ratio

Timberwolves point guard Tyus Jones had more of an opportunity than he’s ever had in 2018-19 due to the injury of Jeff Teague.

Jones took advantage of that opportunity and made it historic. Jones posted a 6.9 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio, the best mark we’ve seen throughout the history of the NBA.

https://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/tyus-jones-makes-nba-history

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As a starter last year he put up these numbers at age 22. He didn't get to start until Teague got injured

He is a pass first PG who doesn't turn over the ball and is an excellent defender at the age of 23.

He was such an obvious choice for us last season that I can only assume they priced him out of our range.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

The only thing I see wrong with this post is James Jones is NOT CC'd on it! :)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones has hope?

He is 4 seasons in and just shot 41% from the field, 31% from 3.

If Jones has hope, then Okobo and Melton have hope too.

We have to do better than that. Tyler Johnson is better than him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Empire Of The Suns Mock Draft has us getting Jeff Teague, his teammate at 32 years of age. Interesting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jones has hope?

Melton and okobo do have hope. They l’ve had a single season as 2nd round picks. One coming off no college season and the other coming over from a lesser euro league.

Man you’ve got the shortest leash in the history of the game. You’d have given the jermaine O’Neals and butlers away for pennies with your philosophy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones has hope?

If you think Jones would be a bad acquisition then you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Who other than Holiday do you want the Suns to acquire?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you think Jones would be a bad acquisition then you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Who other than Holiday do you want the Suns to acquire?

Well if I was in charge, I would be doing whatever it took to draft garland - meaning I would get the 4th pick. I think he is the best answer. Coby White is so flawed I have zero faith in him whatsoever.

But if not a trade/signing of Jrue, DLO, Brogdan, Shroeder, Dinwiddie, or Ball. Anything less than that and I would not bother signing anyone - I would just go with Tyler Johnson

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Melton and okobo do have hope. They l’ve had a single season as 2nd round picks. One coming off no college season and the other coming over from a lesser euro league.

Man you’ve got the shortest leash in the history of the game. You’d have given the jermaine O’Neals and butlers away for pennies with your philosophy.

You aren't understanding me - I do have hope for Melton and Okobo. I would rather play them, than get a guy in his 4th year that eats our salary cap space and is not likely any better.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones has hope?

Well again his numbers as a starter are much better. Post all star break he shot 45% from the field and 35% from 3. His 84.6% free throw percentage is a strong indicator he will continue to develop as a shooter.

His CARMELO is fantastic

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/tyus-jones/

CATEGORY: FUTURE ALL-STAR

He was 4 WAR last year. His Offensive and Defensive +/ - were 1.5 and 1.9. His true shooting was 55%.

I just don't see any other potential young PG that is both a good passer and a good defender

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empire Of The Suns Mock Draft has us getting Jeff Teague, his teammate at 32 years of age. Interesting.

So the reason to do this is you get 1 year of him at 19 million and then he is off the books so you could try to make a splash next year.

They want to keep the younger and better player obviously

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard