Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No better than random fan trade ideas on the realgm general board. Getting tired of seeing Bridges included in these. Immediately signals to me this guy doesnt follow the Suns and is wasting my time.

Probably but a bunch of fan trade proposals I’ve seen have the Suns getting Holiday for the #6 and a bunch of chaff the Suns don’t want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If you are not a Suns fan, you don't know Bridges was a trade with us giving up a pick to get him. Teams don't generally trade players so fast after giving up a pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No better than random fan trade ideas on the realgm general board. Getting tired of seeing Bridges included in these. Immediately signals to me this guy doesnt follow the Suns and is wasting my time.

Or it's Griffin planting the idea in someone's head. It may not be but it's clear that agents and GMs do this kind of thing regularly.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, they are certainly less valuable at the top 3. The average percentage to land the #1 pick or a top 3 pick for the bottom 3 teams were both reduced by an average of about 30% (#1: from 20% to 14% and Top 3: 55% to 40%). IOW, they are on average 30% less valuable than in 2018.

(There's only about a 11% difference between the bottom team and the 10th worst team now.)

So if you think a team will be bottom 3 when the pick matures, it actually has less value than it used to.

But a pick 4 years from now from any team could land anywhere.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's time to take a risk and make a bold move.

It was a bold move when we overpaid Ariza to bring him here. It was a bold move when we traded a valuable prospect and a draft pick to take Chriss. We've made plenty of risky and bold moves, it's time to be smart especially with our assets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a bold move when we overpaid Ariza to bring him here. It was a bold move when we traded a valuable prospect and a draft pick to take Chriss. We've made plenty of risky and bold moves, it's time to be smart especially with our assets.

those weren't bold moves. they were just stupid. a 1 yr deal isn't that much a of a risk, which usually accompanies something bold. And what did we give up to grab Chriss that made it "bold"? I honestly don't remember the details of that stupidity.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those weren't bold moves. they were just stupid. a 1 yr deal isn't that much a of a risk, which usually accompanies something bold. And what did we give up to grab Chriss that made it "bold"? I honestly don't remember the details of that stupidity.

Bogdan Bogdanovic along with the 13th and 28th pick. Not exactly a treasure trove but a lot for a player that had so many holes in his game and that there didn't appear to be much of a market for. And call those moves what you will, they were as "bold" as the moves people seem to want us to make. I also liken "bold" to risky but the moves talked about here that the poster was responding to seem consistent with the examples I used.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bogdan Bogdanovic along with the 13th and 28th pick. Not exactly a treasure trove but a lot for a player that had so many holes in his game and that . And call those moves what you will, they were as "bold" as the moves people seem to want us to make. I liken "bold" to risky in this situation as that seems to be how the word was being used.
So we swapped the 13th with whatever pick it was to get Chriss. Bogdanovic's agent warned his player would stay overseas another season than play for the Suns. So basically the only real cost was the 28th pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we swapped the 13th with whatever pick it was to get Chriss. Bogdanovic's agent warned his player would stay overseas another season than play for the Suns. So basically the only real cost was the 28th pick.

I thought the issue with Bogdanovic is he wasn't coming over for a rookie scale contract, he wanted more money. I know Sacramento ended up paying him more, 3 years $27 million overall. I remember reading he wanted to come over sooner but McD wanted to wait, who knows why.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the issue with Bogdanovic is he wasn't coming over for a rookie scale contract, he wanted more money. I know Sacramento ended up paying him more, 3 years $27 million overall. I remember reading he wanted to come over sooner but McD wanted to wait, who knows why.

This is my recollection as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, no. Plus I don't get your logic. It cost us Bogdan, a roughly average NBA player who tends to make big plays in big moments from what I've seen. Even if we weren't bringing him over, he was still a tradable asset. Regardless of how you want to view it, we paid a premium to draft someone that there really wasn't much of a market for. Keep in mind, despite being a Sacramento native, even they weren't very high on him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to what was given up for Chriss we also drafted a PF 4 picks before selecting him. Since we just drafted a PF it was a bold move to double down by taking Chriss.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just saying I remember there were a lot of happy people here on draft night when we got Bender AND Chriss. Then when it didn't work out, now everyone is talking about how stupid it was. At the time there were a LOT of happy people.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just saying I remember there were a lot of happy people here on draft night when we got Bender AND Chriss. Then when it didn't work out, now everyone is talking about how stupid it was. At the time there were a LOT of happy people.
I was happy. I thought they were different enough, but potentially talented enough, that it was a great opportunity. Little did we know how epically bad that was.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was happy. I thought they were different enough, but potentially talented enough, that it was a great opportunity. Little did we know how epically bad that was.
I was happy too since they were opposites. I thought we fixed PF for a decade or more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose