What is the plan?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to make sense out of all of the rumors coming out of NOLA and some of the ties to Phoenix.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that Randle will leave NOLA, but perhaps a sign and trade with Phoenix could be in the works for Warren or JJ.

Perhaps a swap of the #4 and #6 could be involved which could explain Gambo saying NOLA would take Coby White despite not having the need for a PG.

You could speculate that maybe we could take Solomon Hill back in exchange in a larger two part deal as I believe sign and trade players can't be combined with other players in a trade.

Example:
JJ or Warren and # 6 for Randle and the #4. Since NOLA was going to let Randle walk, maybe they see it as moving down two spots and picking up a contributor like Warren or another upside player like JJ.

A larger 2 part trade would be less enticing, but we would send out both Warren and JJ in separate deals. One trade would net Solomon Hill and the #4 for Warren and the #6 while JJ would be traded in a separate deal for a re-signed Randle.

Solomon Hill would expire next year giving us some cap relief.

I like your idea a lot. Warren or Jackson and a swap of picks #4 and #6 for Randle. I'd even sweeten it if necessary to get it done with the Bucks pick.

It allows the Suns to keep Oubre as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there goes that idea of a sign and trade for Randle.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Pelicans‘ Julius Randle is not picking up his $9M player option for next season and will enter unrestricted free agency, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Randle is coming off his best NBA season (21.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 34.4 percent from 3-point range on 195 attempts).

5:23 PM - 16 Jun 2019

He is certainly worth more than 9 million.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pelicans‘ Julius Randle is not picking up his $9M player option for next season and will enter unrestricted free agency, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Randle is coming off his best NBA season (21.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 34.4 percent from 3-point range on 195 attempts).

I thought he would have a cap hold, but I believe that only applies to players who have Bird rights and have been under contract for two or more years. Without Bird rights, NOLA would have to use their cap space to sign him so that possibility becomes more unlikely although they project to have 15+19M in cap space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not necessarily. It just makes it more challenging to match salaries. Randle is probably worth closer to what Tyler Johnson makes than what TJ Warren makes, anyway.

That being said, I would have been all over trading Warren in this scenario, but definitely not Jackson. Something tells me that Monty will get him closer to what we saw at Kansas and in the second half of his rookie season, which would have him on an all-Star trajectory. He needs coaching, and he needs to grow up. The talent and even basketball IQ capacity are clearly still there, in my opinion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he would have a cap hold, but I believe that only applies to players who have Bird rights and have been under contract for two or more years. Without Bird rights, NOLA would have to use their cap space to sign him so that possibility becomes more unlikely although they project to have 15+19M in cap space.

Not necessarily. It just makes it more challenging to match salaries. Randle is probably worth closer to what Tyler Johnson makes than what TJ Warren makes, anyway.

That being said, I would have been all over trading Warren in this scenario, but definitely not Jackson. Something tells me that Monty will get him closer to what we saw at Kansas and in the second half of his rookie season, which would have him on an all-Star trajectory. He needs coaching, and he needs to grow up. The talent and even basketball IQ capacity are clearly still there, in my opinion.

Anyway, the sign and trade option becomes more complicated.

I liked the idea because it solved the problem of adding Randle and keeping Oubre. Also it gave the Suns the #4 pick to select the point guard of choice.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyway, the sign and trade option becomes more complicated.

I liked the idea because it solved the problem of adding Randle and keeping Oubre. Also it gave the Suns the #4 pick to select the point guard of choice.

It seems like White is their point guard of choice, and he will definitely be available at 6. (Heck, he is a reach at 6, and the only reason he doesn't make it out of the Top 10 is that both the Suns at 6 and the Bulls at 7 are desperate for a point guard.)

I liked the idea because it took care of the cap space issue while technically getting something of value for Warren.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Have you even read the previous posts? Booker is not happy with HIMSELF. That is clearly what he meant in that clip and that is what I understood from it from day one.
Yeah, the Suns have disappointed for a decade and gone through General Managers and Head Coaches because of Devin Booker.

And then leaned on Booker to bail them out covering two positions. If Devin thinks it's his fault, he's been hypnotized. 'Not a chance.

JC, why do you keep justifying failure? After all of the tanking talk one year ago, we are in no better position. The answer, my friend,
is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind. Or in the case of the Suns, hot air. :(

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Suns have disappointed for a decade and gone through General Managers and Head Coaches because of Devin Booker.

Not that it changes anything and I'm not trying to justify all the losing we've done for the past decade but I'd wager that as bad as it's been we probably don't even have the worst record over the last 10 seasons. Close, certainly, but I suspect Minnesota or Sacramento has us beat for that dubious record. I'm not saying I'll be happy with 11 more wins next year but hopefully, we've seen the end of our sub 30 win seasons - I know I've seen enough of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it changes anything and I'm not trying to justify all the losing we've done for the past decade but I'd wager that as bad as it's been we probably don't even have the worst record over the last 10 seasons. Close, certainly, but I suspect Minnesota or Sacramento has us beat for that dubious record. I'm not saying I'll be happy with 11 more wins next year but hopefully, we've seen the end of our sub 30 win seasons - I know I've seen enough of them.

I feel that's a safe bet. Saw this the other day from ESPN. I don't feel like looking up the last 10 seasons but I know Sacramento is on the longest playoff drought in the NBA right now. This is only 6 seasons and we were a bit better 7, 8, 9 years ago when we had Nash and would try for the playoffs but come up short as the 9th or 10th place team in the West.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And then leaned on Booker to bail them out covering two positions. If Devin thinks it's his fault, he's been hypnotized. 'Not a chance.

JC, why do you keep justifying failure? After all of the tanking talk one year ago, we are in no better position. The answer, my friend,
is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind. Or in the case of the Suns, hot air
. :(

I seriously doubt JC is "justifying failure" or anything close to that. Why do you feel the need to make assumptions as to how others view the Suns? You've done it with JC here and also with Booker, which is what started this discussion.

Everyone here wants the Suns to win, and I'm pretty sure Booker can be included in that camp also. I feel 100% confident in saying that not a single player on the team or fan on this board wants the Suns woes to continue.

We can't control how anyone feels about the Suns except ourselves and I think most would rather look forward to a brighter future, hopefully, rather than continue harping on the failures of the past. The past is behind us, we can't change it, we can only hope that those in power learned from it. Whether they did or not is yet to be seen but we'll start to see whether they did or not at the draft and in free agency this year. If they didn't, that sucks, but we have to move forward because bringing up the past over and over won't get us anywhere.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind. Or in the case of the Suns, hot air. :(
Telling the truth about what Booker was saying has nothing to do with justifying failure.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I seriously doubt JC is "justifying failure" or anything close to that. Why do you feel the need to make assumptions as to how others view the Suns? You've done it with JC here and also with Booker, which is what started this discussion.

Everyone here wants the Suns to win, and I'm pretty sure Booker can be included in that camp also. I feel 100% confident in saying that not a single player on the team or fan on this board wants the Suns woes to continue.

We can't control how anyone feels about the Suns except ourselves and I think most would rather look forward to a brighter future, hopefully, rather than continue harping on the failures of the past. The past is behind us, we can't change it, we can only hope that those in power learned from it. Whether they did or not is yet to be seen but we'll start to see whether they did or not at the draft and in free agency this year. If they didn't, that sucks, but we have to move forward because bringing up the past over and over won't get us anywhere.
That would be great! I'd love to see the Suns step forward. I join you in hoping for the best.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We are just a couple days from seeing a part of the plan coming to fruition. The rumors should be flying the next couple days! :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a completely different leadership team in place going into this summer. We can at least expect something different from previous years—who knows, maybe even better. If not optimism, at least guarded curiosity is in order.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have a completely different leadership team in place going into this summer. We can at least expect something different from previous years—who knows, maybe even better. If not optimism, at least guarded curiosity is in order.
That's what I have been thinking. We may end up doing the same old things. However, we have the chance to to do something different since we have different people in the decision making spots. I think people think we are Suns apologists. It's not that. It is the idea there's a possibility of change.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's what I have been thinking. We may end up doing the same old things. However, we have the chance to to do something different since we have different people in the decision making spots. I think people think we are Suns apologists. It's not that. It is the idea there's a possibility of change.

I just hope we actually see change this summer. If not, then I think we will all know who has really been running the show and continues to do so...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just hope we actually see change this summer. If not, then I think we will all know who has really been running the show and continues to do so...
True. If you change all but one part, and the results stay the same.......

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not quite 'completely'. :rolleyes:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uh oh. Drafting Hunter at 6 and signing Collison (my ideal realistic offseason, if you also add a serviceable veteran power forward and back-up center and re-sign Oubre) was just proposed by none other than...Ron Wolfley. Maybe I need to rethink this...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh oh. Drafting Hunter at 6 and signing Collison (my ideal realistic offseason, if you also add a serviceable veteran power forward and back-up center and re-sign Oubre) was just proposed by none other than...Ron Wolfley. Maybe I need to rethink this...

DLO is realistic if they put their minds to it. Randle is realistic if they put their minds to it.

If what Gambo is saying is correct, they are more interested in adding "good fits" than good players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DLO is realistic if they put their minds to it. Randle is realistic if they put their minds to it.

If what Gambo is saying is correct, they are more interested in adding "good fits" than good players.

I really hope what Gambo is saying is not correct. It IS possible to add good players who are also good fits...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really hope what Gambo is saying is not correct. It IS possible to add good players who are also good fits...

I think it's possible to do both, add good players that are good fits. Hopefully it's not an excuse to settle for less.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why would you assume he meant good fits that are not good players. I think it just means we are prioritizing fit over ability which makes sense but that doesn't mean we're out there beating the bushes for players that can't play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why would you assume he meant good fits that are not good players. I think it just means we are prioritizing fit over ability which makes sense but that doesn't mean we're out there beating the bushes for players that can't play.

I don't know. Reported interest in Cory Joseph, TJ McConnell and Jarrett Culver would suggest otherwise...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose