What is the plan?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wait so trade Booker who can provide great scoring and is the most effective guard in the NBA at getting to the line for AD?

Then you now still have a huge gap at PG and now shooting guard?

Do you not remember how pathetic our backcourt was post Nash?! So nobody to pass the ball to our big men and nobody to score from your backcourt.

Not a fan.

Neither am I, but if management once again fails to address the point guard position and leaves a gaping hole at power forward as well, I guarantee you Booker will want out come this time next year (if not sooner), and once Booker asks out, we're screwed the way the Pelicans are with AD and the way we were with Bledsoe.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin has been here for 4 years, the team has gone backwards, and his frustration is growing increasingly visible. This roster needs to start heading in the right direction soon, or Booker will go the way Warren did after the same period of time last year (and the way Bledsoe did after the same period of time the year before).

It isn't age. It's loss of patience after enduring poor management and lack of roster improvement here.

I've been watching basketball since Wilt's days and I can tell you it's very common for players to get frustrated when they lose and get very frustrated when they lose regularly. So, of course he's frustrated and sure, maybe it will eventually lead to him demanding a trade but it's utter stupidity to give away a budding star for what will almost definitely be pennies on the dollar. With 5 years left to go he has zero leverage and trading him will almost surely lead to very dissatisfied teammates such as Ayton and Bridges. Using your thinking we might as well trade them too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither am I, but if management once again fails to address the point guard position and leaves a gaping hole at power forward as well, I guarantee you Booker will want out come this time next year (if not sooner), and once Booker asks out, we're screwed the way the Pelicans are with AD and the way we were with Bledsoe.

Again, that's just more nonsense. Booker is under contract for FIVE more years, those 2 were approaching the end of their's.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been watching basketball since Wilt's days and I can tell you it's very common for players to get frustrated when they lose and get very frustrated when they lose regularly. So, of course he's frustrated and sure, maybe it will eventually lead to him demanding a trade but it's utter stupidity to give away a budding star for what will almost definitely be pennies on the dollar. With 5 years left to go he has zero leverage and trading him will almost surely lead to very dissatisfied teammates such as Ayton and Bridges. Using your thinking we might as well trade them too.

I would rather we actually improve our roster and address the gaping holes at point guard and power forward, so it does not become an issue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather we actually improve our roster and address the gaping holes at point guard and power forward, so it does not become an issue.

As would we all but that's not what you said. I agree we'll have more and more problems if we don't solve our roster deficiencies but that is not what I've been responding to. This is what you said: "I'm starting to think we might as well trade Booker and start building around Ayton and Bridges."

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As would we all but that's not what you said. I agree we'll have more and more problems if we don't solve our roster deficiencies but that is not what I've been responding to. This is what you said: "I'm starting to think we might as well trade Booker and start building around Ayton and Bridges."

It was in response to the latest in a series of articles speculating that the Suns will do nothing to address their roster deficiencies this offseason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was in response to the latest in a series of articles speculating that the Suns will do nothing to address their roster deficiencies this offseason.

It still makes no sense. The same logic that says we should panic and trade away our rising star should have us trading away Ayton and Bridges too. And there are a bunch of idiots out there writing articles and blogs, some of them suggest we'll upgrade and others suggest we'll settle for less. So if you're going to trade Booker because somebody speculates we're bringing in a weak PG why not celebrate when some other writer speculates we're signing Russell or trading for Holiday? And you've been pushing this "we might as well trade away our best players" idea since before last season even began.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Booker is not going anywhere anytime soon. Trading Booker to fill one gaping hole just to have to fill another gaping hole is the equivalent of treading water. It makes zero sense.

You are worried about Booker but what about AD or any other player you trade for? You don't think they are going to be just as frustrated if the team can't win because of those holes?

We gain nothing by this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's because AD has demanded out, only has one year left on his deal, and has said he would only re-sign with the Lakers or Knicks.

If we are going to continue not to address the key positions of need, such that the team continues not to progress and Booker inevitably is just going to get frustrated and ask out, then we might as well trade him before he backs us into the same corner into which AD has backed the Pelicans.

You could at least wait to see what they do in the offseason, and see how they respond to Monty’s coaching before declaring things hopeless.

But even if you believe it is hopeless the stupidest thing you could possibly do is trade a very good young player under contract for 5 years, that’s what teams want to acquire not get rid of.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin has been here for 4 years, the team has gone backwards, and his frustration is growing increasingly visible. This roster needs to start heading in the right direction soon, or Booker will go the way Warren did after the same period of time last year (and the way Bledsoe did after the same period of time the year before).

It isn't age. It's loss of patience after enduring poor management and lack of roster improvement here.

I have seen none of this frustration.

You are projecting your frustrations on to him, and it’s silly. There is enough problems with the team, you don’t need to make up new ones.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have seen none of this frustration.

You are projecting your frustrations on to him, and it’s silly. There is enough problems with the team, you don’t need to make up new ones.

I don't remember the exact verbiage, but didn't Booker say publicly that he wants to make the playoffs?

Which is another way of inferring, "... if the Suns start another decade of not making the playoffs . . ."

Who could blame him? If nothing changes under Sarver's tight fisted regime, I would welcome Booker
going public. Contract or not, he is the face of the team. And to bring it to a head would be in the
best interest of Suns fans. And we post as Suns fans.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact verbiage, but didn't Booker say publicly that he wants to make the playoffs?

Which is another way of inferring, "... if the Suns start another decade of not making the playoffs . . ."

Who could blame him? If nothing changes under Sarver's tight fisted regime, I would welcome Booker
going public. Contract or not, he is the face of the team. And to bring it to a head would be in the

Yes he did, he was excited watching some great postseason ball and stated this would be his last year of settling for less than the playoffs (not an exact quote). But he also said afterwards that he didn't mean it as a threat, he just got caught up in the moment.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather have Randle than Oubre. I think Mikal’s shooting will take a big leap this year...

Collison/Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Randle
Ayton

I still like Warren as a 6th man....

TJ will never be a 6th man. That is the whole reason for the fake injury. He didn't want to play off the bench.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
TJ will never be a 6th man. That is the whole reason for the fake injury. He didn't want to play off the bench.

Which is why TJ needs to be gone ASAP, in my opinion, even if it's just to clear cap space. At this point, he will never be anything other than a cancer here.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes he did, he was excited watching some great postseason ball and stated this would be his last year of settling for less than the playoffs (not an exact quote). But he also said afterwards that he didn't mean it as a threat, he just got caught up in the moment.
Damage control! However he meant it, which is conjecture, he said it. Whether it was a
threat or not is irrelevant. It is a feeling that he expressed and that we share with him.

If you were the star player on a team with an owner whose priority for a decade has not
led to winning, wouldn't you feel the same?

And if it were quoted, wouldn't you then play it down, having made the point? It is all part
of the game.

As I posted, Devin Booker is the only one with a chance to get Sarver to change direction.
We'll see soon enough if it works. If not, I expect we'll hear from young Mr. Booker again
next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damage control! However he meant it, which is conjecture, he said it. Whether it was a
threat or not is irrelevant. It is a feeling that he expressed and that we share with him.

If you were the star player on a team with an owner whose priority for a decade has not
led to winning, wouldn't you feel the same?

And if it were quoted, wouldn't you then play it down, having made the point? It is all part
of the game.

As I posted, Devin Booker is the only one with a chance to get Sarver to change direction.
We'll see soon enough if it works. If not, I expect we'll hear from young Mr. Booker again
next season.

All I can tell you is it never came across to me like a threat to the Suns, more like a promise to the world and perhaps motivation for himself. And it didn't sound like he was trying to do damage control when he answered a question by denying that he was in any way trying to threaten the Suns. Obviously, YMMV.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is the exact quote of his, if you watch and listen you can see Booker is very clear in what he's saying. He is putting pressure on himself and setting goals for himself to lead this team into the future and not making some sort of demand that the team needs to do X or Y or he'll demand a trade.

The playoff quote comes after the question asked at 1:50 in the video, Booker's response is about 1:59 and the video is only 2 minutes and 33 seconds. I think it's worth watching the whole video because he talks about how much he loves this city and franchise and wants to be the guy to turn things around here. This was at the end of the 2017-18 season, just to note, and he ended up signing his extension after this video was taken, which was for 5 more years here and no player options and if someone was gearing up to move then they don't sign an extension like that without some sort of out involved.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The mat
People need to stop with this Booker isn't happy and gonna request a trade made up nonsense. He's never given an inkling of this. It's pretty clear he takes pride and ownership in being the face of the Suns franchise.
the national media keep pushing this like they pushed the AD to leave NO narrative—especially that Nichols chick on ESPN.

They love the idea of big markets raiding talent from smaller ones. I hope LA and NY never ever win another championship.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All I can tell you is it never came across to me like a threat to the Suns, more like a promise to the world and perhaps motivation for himself. And it didn't sound like he was trying to do damage control when he answered a question by denying that he was in any way trying to threaten the Suns. Obviously, YMMV.
This

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
People need to stop with this Booker isn't happy and gonna request a trade made up nonsense. He's never given an inkling of this. It's pretty clear he takes pride and ownership in being the face of the Suns franchise.

Why??? Booker isn't happy with the Suns futility over the past decade
and neither are the fans. That is nothing to be ashamed about!

All of the turnover. GM's. Head Coaches. Players. No long range plans.

Devin Booker is the only person who could pressure management into
doing more than counting their money.

Why would any Suns fan condone their ongoing status of failure?

I hope Devin continues to be the voice of hope. He is all we have.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was trying to make sense out of all of the rumors coming out of NOLA and some of the ties to Phoenix.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that Randle will leave NOLA, but perhaps a sign and trade with Phoenix could be in the works for Warren or JJ.

Perhaps a swap of the #4 and #6 could be involved which could explain Gambo saying NOLA would take Coby White despite not having the need for a PG.

You could speculate that maybe we could take Solomon Hill back in exchange in a larger two part deal as I believe sign and trade players can't be combined with other players in a trade.

Example:
JJ or Warren and # 6 for Randle and the #4. Since NOLA was going to let Randle walk, maybe they see it as moving down two spots and picking up a contributor like Warren or another upside player like JJ.

A larger 2 part trade would be less enticing, but we would send out both Warren and JJ in separate deals. One trade would net Solomon Hill and the #4 for Warren and the #6 while JJ would be traded in a separate deal for a re-signed Randle.

Solomon Hill would expire next year giving us some cap relief.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why??? Booker isn't happy with the Suns futility over the past decade
and neither are the fans. That is nothing to be ashamed about!

All of the turnover. GM's. Head Coaches. Players. No long range plans.

Devin Booker is the only person who could pressure management into
doing more than counting their money.

Why would any Suns fan condone their ongoing status of failure?

I hope Devin continues to be the voice of hope. He is all we have.
Have you even read the previous posts? Booker is not happy with HIMSELF. That is clearly what he meant in that clip and that is what I understood from it from day one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose