thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great crowd here tonight, too. I love bitching at the refs

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What a team effort by the Mercury starters and a 2-point victory over Las Vegas. All five starters in double digit scoring.

Bonner with a double-double in points and rebounds (led the team) and great defense.

Turner with a double-double in points and assists. January 5-for-5 in 3-pointers.

Carson led with 20 points and was 3-for-5 in 3-pointers.

The starters had to carry the load. Only two bench points for the Mercury.

And Diana Taurasi very active . . . in street clothes, recuperating from her back surgery.
She is hoping to be back some time in June ahead of schedule.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That was my first Mercury game! Really fun. My son has been to all the major sporting events in the Valley, and he commented the Mercury games are better attended and mor fun than the Suns games he want to last year! We both commented how the Mercury played like the Suns. They ignored Griner during the middle of the game just like the Suns forgot about Ayton. They benched Bonner at key points just like Igor would sit Booker at odd times. Speaking of Booker, he was courtside at the game for about a half, secong through third quarter.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That was my first Mercury game! Really fun. My son has been to all the major sporting events in the Valley, and he commented the Mercury games are better attended and mor fun than the Suns games he want to last year! We both commented how the Mercury played like the Suns. They ignored Griner during the middle of the game just like the Suns forgot about Ayton. They benched Bonner at key points just like Igor would sit Booker at odd times. Speaking of Booker, he was courtside at the game for about a half, secong through third quarter.

Good comparisons, both the good and bad. It seems that Sarver has not tried to micro-manage the Mercury (as if Annie
would have taken it) and that Sandy Brondello is a much better Head Coach than any the Suns have hired in a long time.

I recently posted that Brittney Griner puts up points but does not affect the outcome of games and is not the Merc's
top rebounder. DeWanna Bonner is, as you saw at the Aces game, where she doubled Brittney's total.

And that Ayton has started out the same as far as not affecting the outcome of games.

Mercury games are fun! They really get the crowd into it. And you can get better seats at a lower cost. And the
fans, no matter whom you are sitting next to, tend to be more congenial.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercury vs Fever on fox sports go right now. Mercury in total control this game.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good win, thumped em for 3/4 of the game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On a personal note, I was thrilled when I saw that 9 more Mercury games would be on TV from June
on, following the first two which were on ABC and ESPN2 in May, which I saw.

With this most recent game, I saw that my upgraded Contour package with Cox will not carry 7 of
the 9. I have the 3rd tier package (Contour TV), but not the 4th tier (Contour Ultimate).

Those 7 games are on CBS Sports, which is only on the Cox Ultimate package. Being retired, I can't
spend any more than what I am.

I've been with Cox since they were Dimension Cable in Phoenix in the early '80's and have been
satisfied with them. But I am not about to start shopping individual packages. Evidently the Mercury
games are considered top tier. o_O

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ah, the next step. It's getting closer.

It will be great to see DT along with DeWanna & Brittney leading the way.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On a personal note, I was thrilled when I saw that 9 more Mercury games would be on TV from June
on, following the first two which were on ABC and ESPN2 in May, which I saw.

With this most recent game, I saw that my upgraded Contour package with Cox will not carry 7 of
the 9. I have the 3rd tier package (Contour TV), but not the 4th tier (Contour Ultimate).

Those 7 games are on CBS Sports, which is only on the Cox Ultimate package. Being retired, I can't
spend any more than what I am. o_O

My bad! Fox Sports Arizona or Fox Sports Arizona Plus are televising Mercury games on the following dates.

The first was on Sun June 6th 5:00. Coming up will be . . .

Sun. June 23rd 3:00 Arizona time; Sun. June 30th 4:00; Wed. July 17th 12:30; Sat. July 20th 5:00;
Sun. Aug. 25th 3:00; and the last two on Fri. Sep. 6th 7:00 & Sun. July 8th 1:00 (both following the
D-backs post-game show.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/phoenix-mercury-announces-local-tv-broadcast-schedule/

You must be registered for see images attach

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercury ahead by 4 to start the 4th quarter. We need this win. Mercury and DBacks have both lost a few games in a row.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great team win. Bonner, Mitchell and January hit some big 3s.

Griner continues to frustrate me with her play. Her lack of tenacity with rebounding and offensively on the block irritates the crap out of me.

LA played with more intensity in the first half and I’m glad we finally upped our intensity the second half.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Griner continues to frustrate me with her play. Her lack of tenacity with rebounding and offensively on the block irritates the crap out of me.

I agree about Brittney. She is what she has always been. Inconsistent and not a difference maker.

The fact that DeWanna Bonner is, and has been, our most skilled rebounder tells the story.

Taurasi and Bonner affect the outcome of games. Griner hardly ever does.

I just hope the the Suns #1 pick, DeAndre Ayton, doesn't follow in Griner's
footsteps. He played Power Forward in his one year at UofA and Igor had
him play offense at the 3-point line. Brittney has no excuse.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What a game thumping Indiana! #9 Sophie Cunnungham with 19 points on 6 of 8 shooting. Are you kidding me! Leilani Mithchell 18 points 11 assists 5 rebounds!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know that Leilani Mitchell is 34 yo, but I was
sorry to see that she might have been gone.

18/11/5 for a Point Guard who is 5'6". Wow!

And what a 4th quarter for the Mercury.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hung on for a huge road W against Seattle. We are on a little winning streak finally. DT comes back soon too

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice win today after a tough loss on Friday. BG with some clutch free throws at the end. Great D by January per usual.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tonight's Mercury game (Friday July 12) will be televised on ESPN2.

And, BTW, DT is back. We'll see how Diana's back will hold up and
what it will allow her to do vs. Connecticut.

Brittney Griner is leading the WNBA with 20 ppg. And with my girl,
DeWanna Bonner, our Big 3 is together again.

A close game through the 1st half, but Connecticut demolishes the
Mercury during the 3rd quarter. They had 3 players with double-doubles.

Taurasi plays only 16 minutes in her first game back, mostly in the first
half and the Mercury lose 79-64. They had won 6 of their last 7 games.

Phoenix is not a good rebounding team. That falls on Brittney Griner.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave