Marvel movie marathon for newbies thread

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your are correct though, the Marvel Universe as we know it would not be what it is without the success of the first Iron Man.

Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man. He is what made the first movie fly, IMHO.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, ok. What does that have to do with anything?

Just a passing comment. You said the Marvel universe would be different without the success of Iron Man 1. I simply observed that the movie wouldn't have been successful without RDJ. :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just a passing comment. You said the Marvel universe would be different without the success of Iron Man 1. I simply observed that the movie wouldn't have been successful without RDJ. :shrug:
No, that's not what I said. I said Marvel Universe wouldn't have happened as we know it without Blade.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's not what I said. I said Marvel Universe wouldn't have happened as we know it without Blade.

See post 100 this thread...

I get it that you were referencing someone else's post, but you were agreeing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
See post 100 this thread...

I get it that you were referencing someone else's post, but you were agreeing.
Can you be more specific? I’m on mobile so I can’t see post #s. However, I not once said the iron man was unsuccessful, let alone mentioned the actor. Stout mentioned that they took a chance on RDJ as Iron Man, but I never disputed that.

A poster mentioned that Iron Man is the most important superhero film to come out in a long time. My argument was that Iron Man wouldn’t have even happened had Blade not been successful first.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? I’m on mobile so I can’t see post #s. However, I not once said the iron man was unsuccessful, let alone mentioned the actor. Stout mentioned that they took a chance on RDJ as Iron Man, but I never disputed that.

A poster mentioned that Iron Man is the most important superhero film to come out in a long time. My argument was that Iron Man wouldn’t have even happened had Blade not been successful first.

Don't understand why you seem intent on picking a fight. I quoted a post you made, and did not dispute it, I merely qualified it with my opinion. Wait until you get on something where you can see post numbers, then read forward from #100. It should make sense to you then.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't understand why you seem intent on picking a fight. I quoted a post you made, and did not dispute it, I merely qualified it with my opinion. Wait until you get on something where you can see post numbers, then read forward from #100. It should make sense to you then.
If you have a dispute, it's not on me to prove it for you. If you can't have a discussion, which is what this is, then you shouldn't comment at all. This isn't anywhere near a "fight."

Pretty sure my post responding to that quote had NOTHING whatsoever to do with who played Iron Man. I did say, after all, that the Marvel Universe AS WE KNOW IT wouldn't be what it is without Iron Man. My point was that Iron Man wouldn't have even existed had Marvel gone out of business-which is where the film division was heading until Blade made a ton of money. I'm not sure why you think mentioning Robert Downey Jr invalidates my opinion.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a dispute, it's not on me to prove it for you. If you can't have a discussion, which is what this is, then you shouldn't comment at all. This isn't anywhere near a "fight."

Pretty sure my post responding to that quote had NOTHING whatsoever to do with who played Iron Man. I did say, after all, that the Marvel Universe AS WE KNOW IT wouldn't be what it is without Iron Man. My point was that Iron Man wouldn't have even existed had Marvel gone out of business-which is where the film division was heading until Blade made a ton of money. I'm not sure why you think mentioning Robert Downey Jr invalidates my opinion.

You made the post, “Your are correct though, the Marvel Universe as we know it would not be what it is without the success of the first Iron Man,” an agreement with Ouchie's point. That statement is true.

I followed it with the post, “Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man. He is what made the first movie fly, IMHO,” which merely provides my opinion of WHY it was successful, and giving a tip of the hat to RDJ for making it happen, so that we DO have a Marvel universe.

That's it. If you can't comprehend that, fine. We're done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You made the post, “Your are correct though, the Marvel Universe as we know it would not be what it is without the success of the first Iron Man,” an agreement with Ouchie's point. That statement is true.

I followed it with the post, “Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man. He is what made the first movie fly, IMHO,” which merely provides my opinion of WHY it was successful, and giving a tip of the hat to RDJ for making it happen, so that we DO have a Marvel universe.

That's it. If you can't comprehend that, fine. We're done.
I'm not sure why you're so angry. Your quote was fine in a vacuum, but the discussion we were having had nothing to do with who played him and what made Iron Man a good movie. I simply asked what your quote meant in context with the already established conversation, which you couldn't answer for some reason.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #21 - Captain Marvel

Initial reaction: loved it

Fave scene: Fury/Carol banter, the music, space!, CM being badass

I can’t remember which movie had the Kree in it, but it was cool to learn CM’s backstory. I was super glad she was human.

Holy crap, her power is freaking RIDICULOUS. When she basically flew into space like Iron Man but without a mask, I was like daaaamn. Very interesting that she’s powered by the tesseract (which was the blue infinity stone right?) I didn’t quite understand how she got her power and why it didn’t kill her but killed Annette Bening in the crash.

Loved that we FINALLY got to see how Fury lost his eye (LOL)

Speaking of the cat.... WTF is that thing?

Loved that it was set in the mid 90s. ******* I loved the 90s.

I am curious where CM has been while during the Avenger movies (meaning how they will explain her absence in the movie) I’m thinking Endgame will address that maybe?

Was nice to see Agent Coulson again

Overall, fun freaking movie with a badass girl at the helm

Next movie - Avengers: Endgame (ahhhh, it’s finally here!)

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol crap, I really need to go and see this last one. Life got busy and I lost all my momentum with the marathon.

I’m gonna see it sometime this week for sure.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw Endgame!

Initial impression: Entertaining and long, happy for Cap

Fave scenes: All of Thor, seeing Loki again (hi, Boo), beginning scene when Tony says his goodbyes, Nat/Barton scene about who’s gonna jump, end fight scene when everyone and their mother showed up

Yeah, okay, I got super sad when Black Widow died. And yeah, I got teary-eyed again for Iron Man. I am also coming to terms that Loki is really dead because for some reason I thought they’d go back and save him and Gamora. But what happened, happened, I guess. Not sure how it works with Captain staying in the past but who knows with time travel storylines.

I was very happy for Captain America to get his piece of the American apple pie at the end. He deserved it. Was cool to see him using Thor’s hammer.

Liked the shout out to the badass chicks scene

Carol Danvers remains a friggin badass. I still do not understand how she can breath in space with no helmet but whatevs. WTF was that haircut? Gurrrrl. Lookin at you too, Falcon, with that lamb chop/goatee thing.

So yeah... definitely some finality with some characters. Sad that some have come to an end. Curious about the ones to come.

Movie was really long, my bladder let me down so I had 1 bathroom run.

Overall, I had a blast with this movie marathon. It was fun to dive into the deep end of a very large Marvel pool and see what fun could be had. I have been trying to pick a fave movie and I am not sure I can. I know that the Thor movies really surprised me by how much I liked them. I do know that Hulk was my least fave though.

Anyway, thanks reading, it was fun :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally saw Endgame!

Initial impression: Entertaining and long, happy for Cap

Fave scenes: All of Thor, seeing Loki again (hi, Boo), beginning scene when Tony says his goodbyes, Nat/Barton scene about who’s gonna jump, end fight scene when everyone and their mother showed up

Yeah, okay, I got super sad when Black Widow died. And yeah, I got teary-eyed again for Iron Man. I am also coming to terms that Loki is really dead because for some reason I thought they’d go back and save him and Gamora. But what happened, happened, I guess. Not sure how it works with Captain staying in the past but who knows with time travel storylines.

I was very happy for Captain America to get his piece of the American apple pie at the end. He deserved it. Was cool to see him using Thor’s hammer.

Liked the shout out to the badass chicks scene

Carol Danvers remains a friggin badass. I still do not understand how she can breath in space with no helmet but whatevs. WTF was that haircut? Gurrrrl. Lookin at you too, Falcon, with that lamb chop/goatee thing.

So yeah... definitely some finality with some characters. Sad that some have come to an end. Curious about the ones to come.

Movie was really long, my bladder let me down so I had 1 bathroom run.

Overall, I had a blast with this movie marathon. It was fun to dive into the deep end of a very large Marvel pool and see what fun could be had. I have been trying to pick a fave movie and I am not sure I can. I know that the Thor movies really surprised me by how much I liked them. I do know that Hulk was my least fave though.

Anyway, thanks reading, it was fun :)
Just a quick note: Loki IS still alive. Remember, he took the Teseract and jumped in a portal to nobody-knows-where back in 2012.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note: Loki IS still alive. Remember, he took the Teseract and jumped in a portal to nobody-knows-where back in 2012.
Oh hell yeah!!!! For some reason that did not compute

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose