The Selection of Kyler Murray Highlights the Dysfunction Within the Front Office

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, I'm neutral on Murray, at this point...But, he was not the consensus best player in the draft...that is a fallacy. If not for KK being the new HC, Murray wouldn't have been on the Cardinals radar...the "experts" put Murray to the Cards in their mocks because of KK and KK alone. We've seen a bunch of best player lists that didn't even have Murray top 10, based on talent. There is even a thread on here showing them.

The reason Murray wasn't listed as the consensus best player is because of his height which is why I was hesitant in the Cards taking him. I also remember saying that R Wilson wouldn't make it in the NFL. Sometimes the "standards" set by the "experts" are simply wrong, like African Americans can never be quality QB's.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A team really needs a QB and they give up on getting one they want because a text wasn't returned immediately?????????

How many picks did the Eagles give up for Wentz or the Rams give up for Goff. IIRC it was more than two #1's, a 3rd and a 5th. So I'm done whining about what we will get for Rosen because whatever it is will only lesson what it cost us to finally get our potential Franchise QB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah but if Murray is not the reason they are losing then their shouldn't be a problem with the pick.

There are very few situtations that I can remember when the QB is playing really well and the team is still bad. Like from 2014-2016 Drew Brees still had the 'Aints at 7-9 every year.

If the Cards are 5-11, you can bet your bottom dollar that Murray is not playing well.

Josh Rosen did nothing to improve the team last year.

By your own metric of entertainment value, watching Josh Rosen was about the only reason to watch the Cards at all in the last half of 2018.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So, I'm neutral on Murray, at this point...But, he was not the consensus best player in the draft...that is a fallacy. If not for KK being the new HC, Murray wouldn't have been on the Cardinals radar...the "experts" put Murray to the Cards in their mocks because of KK and KK alone. We've seen a bunch of best player lists that didn't even have Murray top 10, based on talent. There is even a thread on here showing them.
Profootballfocus etc had Murray rated as the best prospect in the draft and better than Mayfield regardless of the Cards.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Profootballfocus etc had Murray rated as the best prospect in the draft and better than Mayfield regardless of the Cards.
Still wasn't consensus #1...several had him out of the top 10. Just look at all of the lists in that thread...and that's with Cards involved.

People blast Collinsworth on this forum, but will quote PFF...which is funny to me. It's just 1 of many many sources.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, butTom Brady could not have helped the train wreck last year.

Hyperbole. You honestly think Tom Brady would not have performed better and probably would have scratched out another win or two?

It isn't the losses that suggest Rosen isn't the answer, it is the fact that he never displayed any hint he could be a transcendent QB. Darnold and Mayfield both showed strong signs of promise. Josh Allen was ok with his last game being his best. Lamar Jackson was meh but his last few regular season games he stopped throwing picks and got them into the playoffs.

Rosen showed nothing and he was the one uttering the ridiculous "four other teams made mistakes" vow.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Hyperbole. You honestly think Tom Brady would not have performed better and probably would have scratched out another win or two?

It isn't the losses that suggest Rosen isn't the answer, it is the fact that he never displayed any hint he could be a transcendent QB. Darnold and Mayfield both showed strong signs of promise. Josh Allen was ok with his last game being his best. Lamar Jackson was meh but his last few regular season games he stopped throwing picks and got them into the playoffs.

Rosen showed nothing and he was the one uttering the ridiculous "four other teams made mistakes" vow.
Brady can't stand to get hit. He changes when he gets hit. He would have been killed last year. Josh took all the hits, got back up and never complained. Brady would have been whining all year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Cards have had the #1 pick for months. The should have formulated a plan weeks ago.

No excuse for shopping Rosen 15 minutes before the draft. I’m sure they were looking for the best deal out there. Open to trading the #1 for the right offer but they blew it.

They gambled and they blew it. Now they have to trade Rosen for pennies on the dollar and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This is what ultimately tipped me over to Murray (that and watching more than just his highlights). Rosen had what? 13 starts? Only one could even be moderately considered "good". 12 bad starts and even a moderately good QB on a bad team will show SOMETHING.

There are questions today about Rosen as a pro QB than there were this time last year. Rosen did show resilience and determination, but his decisionmaking was highly questionable.

Murray was a star and probably the best Air Raid QB ever. He gives the Cardinals new dimensions with his ability to throw from the pocket, throw from off platform, and run when the play breaks down or on designed runs. He is just a uniquely dynamic player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Still wasn't consensus #1...several had him out of the top 10. Just look at all of the lists in that thread...and that's with Cards involved.

People blast Collinsworth on this forum, but will quote PFF...which is funny to me. It's just 1 of many many sources.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For the Kliff Kingsbury Cardinals, Kyler Murray is/was easily the #1 ranked prospect.

That's ultimately the most important evaluation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And Goff sucked just as bad on a better Rams team his rookie year. Having said that I'm excited to see what our new QB will bring.

I think CAN turn it around, but I (and the Cardinals) think Murray can be a transcendent player. More than one talent evaluator said that Murray has the unique abilities that can change how the QB position is played. Sounds crazy, but it's a possibility.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have been easy to work a deal with the Raiders and Bosa/Murray.
I really think the only hitch in the works was that Murray would not have contractually decommitted from baseball unless he was the #1 overall pick, and that was the hurdle
in dealing with the Raiders and dealing with Rosen's trade.

The brass really wanted Murray but he kept them dangling until the very end.
These conjectures make a lot of sense! You may not be so crazy after all! :-D

Even aside from the rumor that Murray didn't agree to a no-baseball clause in his contract until the last minute, the Cardinals had to play it somewhat safe before the draft, in case Murray got arrested or hit by a bus. Any pre-draft offers for Rosen would have to be SO good that they'd be worth going into the draft with no QB and hoping that Murray was still "clean" and agreeable to the no-baseball clause.

From another team's perspective, why give up a 1st-rounder unconditionally before the draft, when you can wait and see how the draft falls and whether a guy you like more is available. OBVIOUSLY the Giants preferred to spend their TOP first-rounder on Jones, and the Redskins on Haskins. So why the hell would either of those teams have given up a 1st-rounder for Rosen, without waiting to see whether their preferred guy was available during the draft?

It makes no sense.

...dave

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW- it was posted that Murrays no baseball deal is just a verbal agreement.Not in the contract. Michael Silver tweet IIRC.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FWIW-Ronin posted that Murrays no baseball deal is just a verbal agreement.Not in the contract.

FML...

I hope they at least put a "no drinking with Keim" clause in there. If our oversized minion of a GM stumbles and falls onto Murray it could be career ending.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
As a point of reference, Roger Goodell is 5’11”.

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose