The Selection of Kyler Murray Highlights the Dysfunction Within the Front Office

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Dysfunction, incompetence whatever you want to call it. Keim is drunken buffoon who's personal issues have not been resolved at all and it continues to be a problem for him at work.

Mike Bidwill thinks he's a football savant when in reality he's just a typical trust funder detached from reality on his own "successes."

And then we have the biggest symptom of the disease the failed college football coach who's alleged offensive brilliance never prompted him to evaluate or recruit even an above average 85 man football roster.

End of the day - Kyler better be a Michael Jordan type player that can lift an entire franchise by himself. I don't see it but one can hope.
With everything that has transpired, it’s not unfair to expect Murray to be an all-pro by his third season. With all of the hype, he needs to be better than Russell Wilson.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one fact that was known. Rosen Sucked.
Truth be told, we don't know what we have in Rosen. Last season, we had the worst offensive line in the league and that was going into the season. By mid season, our backups to backups were playing. Dan Marino would have looked pedestrian behind that line. Also, For the first 4 weeks with him as a starter Mike McCoy was the OC then an untested OC in Leftwich the rest of the way. In short, the disarray this team was in was pretty unprecedented even for this franchise. So to look at last season when the ENTIRE TEAM sucked and lay it all at Rosen's feet is not only unfair to him but pretty dumb overall. He deserved to be given a decent chance to see what he could do but no, this team in all of it's wisdom decided to jump the gun on Murray instead of taking an absolute defensive stud in Bosa or Williams.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is a QB driven league and teams are constantly over paying in every way for a QB. So how do the Cards lose leverage on Rosen???

The answer is they didn't, Rosen has lost whatever luster he had by last seasons play (not all his fault) and a perceived bad personality. Not a thing Keim could have done differently to get more for Rosen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ok with Murray new coach let him get his guy. But they botched the Rosen part of this. The safe thing is take Bosa or move down, keep Rosen and build the team. they went for the home run(see what I did there) and took Murray. I'm ok but part of that was the assumption they had a plan for dealing Josh to get somewhat fair market value, seems VERY unlikely that happens now.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been working my way to coming to peace with the Murray selection for a month or so. If he can duplicate what he did in college with the Cards then I don't care what we get for Rosen.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Truth be told, we don't know what we have in Rosen. Last season, we had the worst offensive line in the league and that was going into the season. By mid season, our backups to backups were playing. Dan Marino would have looked pedestrian behind that line. Also, For the first 4 weeks with him as a starter Mike McCoy was the OC then an untested OC in Leftwich the rest of the way. In short, the disarray this team was in was pretty unprecedented even for this franchise. So to look at last season when the ENTIRE TEAM sucked and lay it all at Rosen's feet is not only unfair to him but pretty dumb overall. He deserved to be given a decent chance to see what he could do but no, this team in all of it's wisdom decided to jump the gun on Murray instead of taking an absolute defensive stud in Bosa or Williams.

The one thing you CAN say about Rosen is he is tough. He took a beating and was still standing at the end.

The rest? I agree that it's hard to tell what Rosen really brings to the table. Yet, he made some pretty stupid decisions (even for a rookie) IMO. I don't lay it all at his feet but he was pretty dreadful for much of the year.

On the other hand, I have no problem with the new coach going with his guy. I think that, so far, the league's true feelings on Josh is being seen. No one is giving a 1st round pick for him.

I would have gone with Williams myself, but I am not consulted by the FO. LOL

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So much more than half of all analysts and the Cardinals front office are dysfunctionaly off on their assessments?

How were they to know after drafting Rosen that they had the opportunity to draft the next Russel Wilson?

The process isn"t over yes, but they could be in much worse shape than two starting g caliber QB's on their roster.

Hopefully Denver or ?? come to their senses at some point today and offer something real.

If not you sit and wait for the inevitable team to come calling after their QB goes down. Then the price goes UP.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one thing you CAN say about Rosen is he is tough. He took a beating and was still standing at the end.

The rest? I agree that it's hard to tell what Rosen really brings to the table. Yet, he made some pretty stupid decisions (even for a rookie) IMO. I don't lay it all at his feet but he was pretty dreadful for much of the year.

On the other hand, I have no problem with the new coach going with his guy. I think that, so far, the league's true feelings on Josh is being seen. No one is giving a 1st round pick for him.

I would have gone with Williams myself, but I am not consulted by the FO. LOL
As bad as this coaching staff was last season I believe Rosen was thrown to the wolves and was expected to figure it out on his own. The kid received no direction it seemed and it showed.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As bad as this coaching staff was last season I believe Rosen was thrown to the wolves and was expected to figure it out on his own. The kid received no direction it seemed and it showed.

It sure did. Was a cluster dumpster epic fail of epic proportions last season for sure.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It is unrealistic to expect another team to pony up a first round pick after what they saw Rosen and the Cardinals do last season. Rosen is unproven. Most teams would like to pick their own quarterbacks as we saw with the Redskins and Giants. And Rosen's personality does trouble some teams and thus limits his market.

His outburst on draft night 2018 is not what most teams want their quarterback to project. They would rather see on field performance than angry threats to teams that passed on him.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I've been working my way to coming to peace with the Murray selection for a month or so. If he can duplicate what he did in college with the Cards then I don't care what we get for Rosen.
You should care. It doesn’t make us anymore competitive than last season if we don’t get anything of substance for Josh. A halfway competent GM would’ve had the deal done a while ago.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
You should care. It doesn’t make us anymore competitive than last season if we don’t get anything of substance for Josh. A halfway competent GM would’ve had the deal done a while ago.

I think you are overestimating the market for Rosen. A third round draft pick looks to be the best offer. At that price, he is worth more as a Cardinals backup.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
It may be entertaining but winning is what puts fans in the seats. Losing and being entertaining will only go so far before the fans turn away.
Yeah but if Murray is not the reason they are losing then their shouldn't be a problem with the pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are overestimating the market for Rosen. A third round draft pick looks to be the best offer. At that price, he is worth more as a Cardinals backup.

No idea if true but a guy on a UCLA site I follow says Rosens' family are his neighbors and they were told the Cards DID have offers for Josh leading up to the draft that were first rounders but the Cards didn't respond aggressively because we weren't decided yet. Again I don't know the guy from Adam no idea if true but if it is, it concerns me that we went from 1st rounder to what we might get now.

I'm also still wondering the Bay area stuff is true that the Raiders were willing to move up to #1 last night to get Bosa. If that's true, we could have taken Murray at 4 and got an extra pick out of the Raiders. Again no idea if true but it's one of the things being talked about on radio, they wanted to get ahead of the 49ers to take Bosa.

I am ok with the pick, but it appears Keim mismanaged the process.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It may be entertaining but winning is what puts fans in the seats. Losing and being entertaining will only go so far before the fans turn away.
THIS!! I will withhold final judgment on this pick at least until after the 2019 season. Hopefully, KM is 'all that' and those of us who wanted to retain Josh Rosen and draft a defensive stud will be proven wrong.

Now go out and nail day two of the draft!!

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't even appear that the Cardinals even want to trade Rosen just yet. And I'm fine with that. Haven't we paid a stiff penalty during the BA years when we didn't have an adequate backup when Palmer went down? A couple of those teams could have gone very deep into the playoffs. Rosen may not start, but at least allow him to develop under KK. Under KK's tutelage, Rosen's value would only increase. If a playoff type team loses their starting QB, then Rosen's value increases dramatically. If you get a great offer, you take it. But don't sell him for 60 cents on the dollar.

I agree on not giving him away at 60 cents on the dollar, but I don't think there is any way that this situation can have both on the team all year. I just think that they could have gotten a decent deal if they would have started talking to teams about Rosen a lot sooner. Hope I'm wrong if Rosen isn't dealt and everything works out but I don't see how. Don't see to many times where your new wife is excited to see the ex living in the bedroom down the hall.

Like I stated earlier I don't think Keim did a good job on setting this thing up.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

If Kyler is successful he's a genius, if he fails Keim gets fired. I'm happy either way.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
No idea if true but a guy on a UCLA site I follow says Rosens' family are his neighbors and they were told the Cards DID have offers for Josh leading up to the draft that were first rounders but the Cards didn't respond aggressively because we weren't decided yet. Again I don't know the guy from Adam no idea if true but if it is, it concerns me that we went from 1st rounder to what we might get now.

I'm also still wondering the Bay area stuff is true that the Raiders were willing to move up to #1 last night to get Bosa. If that's true, we could have taken Murray at 4 and got an extra pick out of the Raiders. Again no idea if true but it's one of the things being talked about on radio, they wanted to get ahead of the 49ers to take Bosa.

I am ok with the pick, but it appears Keim mismanaged the process.

If this is true then Keim should have his house on the market now.

Reactions: TJ

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
No one understands how historically feeble this organization has been over the past half century better than I do. But it is somewhat comical to listen to those on this board who are now on suicide watch after we drafted a player who the consensus of draft experts agree was the best player in this draft. God bless some of you if you had to live through us drafting Steve Pisarkiewicz, Clyde Duncan, Steve Little, Larry Stegent, Kelly Stouffer, Tony Sacca, Tom Knight, Wendell Bryant, and many more.

The Cardinals were not wrong to draft Rosen last year. It was the right thing to do at the time. Hiring Wilks was abysmal, and that has MB’s fingerprints all over it. That decision alone put us in the #1 pick situation. Once there, you take the most impactful player in the draft. For once, the Cardinals admitted their mistakes from last year & took the most exciting player in the draft. Bravo!!!

So, I'm neutral on Murray, at this point...But, he was not the consensus best player in the draft...that is a fallacy. If not for KK being the new HC, Murray wouldn't have been on the Cardinals radar...the "experts" put Murray to the Cards in their mocks because of KK and KK alone. We've seen a bunch of best player lists that didn't even have Murray top 10, based on talent. There is even a thread on here showing them.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would have been easy to work a deal with the Raiders and Bosa/Murray.
I really think the only hitch in the works was that Murray would not have contractually decommitted from baseball unless he was the #1 overall pick, and that was the hurdle
in dealing with the Raiders and dealing with Rosen's trade.

The brass really wanted Murray but he kept them dangling until the very end.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA