The Selection of Kyler Murray Highlights the Dysfunction Within the Front Office

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Whether you like Murray or not, it’s hard to argue that this front office is anything but dysfunctional. After last season’s series of poor choices, it “earned” the number one pick and had some cap space; and with all of that, the opportunity to fill the number of holes on the team.

Going into the offseason, the five biggest needs on the team were:

~OL
~DL
~LB
~WR
~TE

Quarterback was an afterthought. Josh Rosen was the guy. No questions asked.

Enter Kliff Kingsbury; a sub-.500 college coach who *happens* to be a lot like Sean McVay. He then sells the team on taking a QB who *might* be a shell of Russell Wilson. So in essence, the team is trying to copy two teams within its own division. If we’re to believe the rumors, we’ve known for months that Murray was the pick, which would make Rosen expendable. The front office plays a game to see how much it can get for Rosen. It never initiated offers nor countered offers it was given. What did it expect to get without putting its best foot forward in dealing a guy who people now know is expendable? The return on Josh Rosen is going to be peanuts not because Josh Rosen is a bad QB, but because the team failed to sell him or the #1 pick.

So who’s really in charge of major personnel moves on this team? It was long rumored that Bidwill went over Keim’s head to hire Wilks. It was Kliff’s decision to take what was Arizona’s most valuable asset in many years to pick another quarterback.

It’s no secret that Keim’s draft resume is substandard. His first-round picks have either been busts or injury-prone. Not one has really stood out as a blue chip player. He didn’t help himself with the DUI, either. From what I’ve learned from Keim these past 6 years is that he has a number of intangibles he looks at in his prospects: Heart, mind, and commitment. Murray comes to this team with question marks in all three categories, along with the physical considerations. Is Keim feeding us a load of BS, or has he lost his ability to make significant personnel decisions? Because at this point, it seems as if Bidwill is allowing Kliff to take charge of the team’s best asset in years.

Keim is powerless. The tail is wagging the dog.

And if that is the case, and Keim can’t be trusted to make significant decisions, we have a major issue with the front office. If we think it stops at wasting the #1 pick and subsequently failing to get value for the QB it’s trying to replace, we’re merely pawns in their futile efforts to get back to relevancy. The team has spent too much time trying to be a facsimile of two of its division rivals that it doesn’t even have a semblance of its own identity. This is not the behavior of a front office that is in constant contention. This is the behavior of a front office in disarray that mirrors some of the porous teams in recent memory, including the Cleveland Browns.

AZCats

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree. Total clusterfuk
That is putting it lightly.

Too bad Championships weren't won by failure because the Cards would be a dynasty and the dynasty would be a lock for the next 4 years with Murray.

It just blows me away that you could literally go out on the street and pick a random Cards fan and he or she would do better at drafting.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lets say KM is the next Russel Wilson (We have to win a SB before I agree to that)

Keim is a still a terrible GM...... We had the Human Snail for so long, that some people actually think SK is a palatable GM...

Look at his first round picks.... He could have drunk himself into a stupor, and thrown a dart at Mayock's BPA list, and still come out looking like a viable GM.

But he couldn't even do that without missing the dart board ENTIRELY.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am putting it behind me and hoping for a good product on the field within the next two years. But if this turns out the way I think it will, it will be a historical level of incompetence. And, by historic, I mean league-wide dating back decades. I am in shock and awe. Hoping they won’t screw it up even more and fail to draft the best player available at a position of need in the second round. If they don’t pick an OT, WR, or CB with the first pick tomorrow, Bidwill needs to be taken to task for a bad coaching hire and not ponying up the money to fire Keim

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Dysfunction, incompetence whatever you want to call it. Keim is drunken buffoon who's personal issues have not been resolved at all and it continues to be a problem for him at work.

Mike Bidwill thinks he's a football savant when in reality he's just a typical trust funder detached from reality on his own "successes."

And then we have the biggest symptom of the disease the failed college football coach who's alleged offensive brilliance never prompted him to evaluate or recruit even an above average 85 man football roster.

End of the day - Kyler better be a Michael Jordan type player that can lift an entire franchise by himself. I don't see it but one can hope.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good stuff here, but Chandler Jones and Patrick Peterson are better assets than the #1 pick.

Because people would trade for them.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Good stuff here, but Chandler Jones and Patrick Peterson are better assets than the #1 pick.

Because people would trade for them.

I can guarantee that approximately 5 of the early to mid 2nd rounders will make an impact immediately. Just pick one Keim!

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would’ve solved a problem instead of creating another problem that didn’t even exist before today
It sure as hell wouldn’t have fixed the OL as some have inferred. I have no idea if Murray is a great or horrible pick. It goes against the grain for sure.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Would’ve solved a problem instead of creating another problem that didn’t even exist before today

Lost respect for Bidwill today. He let a losing college coach dictate the first number one pick in the history of the Arizona Cardinals franchise. Just hoping for a better tomorrow. Kliff KeimWell have already destroyed Rosen’s trade value and Daddy Murray doesn’t want Kyler to have to compete for the job. JUST DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE IN THE SECOND ROUND and get on with this show. If we are 2-14 next year....Loook out

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting points TJ.

Among my worries is that can Murray, or the rest of our players really trust the Cardinals at this point?

Picture Josh Rosen walking out the door. KM says; The Cards told my I'm the future! Coach said he believes in me!

Rosen: "Yeah, they told me that too, then they fired my coach and drafted my replacement 9 months later."

Anyways, it is what it is. Go Cards!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Taking Bosa in the first and Greedy Williams/Byron Murphy in the 2nd would make this defense virtually impenetrable after the additions of Hicks and Philon. This is a two year rebuild, lets face facts, in the best of circumstances. So, instead of playing amateur and taking yet another questionable QB at the top of this draft, take advantage of the best defensive draft of our lifetimes and build a rock.
Then, next year, if necessary pick one from a far better group of QB's and offensive players coming out.

Now, we've missed the defenders this year and we'll miss the quarterbacks next year.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Whether you like Murray or not, it’s hard to argue that this front office is anything but dysfunctional. After last season’s series of poor choices, it “earned” the number one pick and had some cap space; and with all of that, the opportunity to fill the number of holes on the team.

Going into the offseason, the five biggest needs on the team were:

~OL
~DL
~LB
~WR
~TE

Quarterback was an afterthought. Josh Rosen was the guy. No questions asked.

Enter Kliff Kingsbury; a sub-.500 college coach who *happens* to be a lot like Sean McVay. He then sells the team on taking a QB who *might* be a shell of Russell Wilson. So in essence, the team is trying to copy two teams within its own division. If we’re to believe the rumors, we’ve known for months that Murray was the pick, which would make Rosen expendable. The front office plays a game to see how much it can get for Rosen. It never initiated offers nor countered offers it was given. What did it expect to get without putting its best foot forward in dealing a guy who people now know is expendable? The return on Josh Rosen is going to be peanuts not because Josh Rosen is a bad QB, but because the team failed to sell him or the #1 pick.

So who’s really in charge of major personnel moves on this team? It was long rumored that Bidwill went over Keim’s head to hire Wilks. It was Kliff’s decision to take what was Arizona’s most valuable asset in many years to pick another quarterback.

It’s no secret that Keim’s draft resume is substandard. His first-round picks have either been busts or injury-prone. Not one has really stood out as a blue chip player. He didn’t help himself with the DUI, either. From what I’ve learned from Keim these past 6 years is that he has a number of intangibles he looks at in his prospects: Heart, mind, and commitment. Murray comes to this team with question marks in all three categories, along with the physical considerations. Is Keim feeding us a load of BS, or has he lost his ability to make significant personnel decisions? Because at this point, it seems as if Bidwill is allowing Kliff to take charge of the team’s best asset in years.

Keim is powerless. The tail is wagging the dog.

And if that is the case, and Keim can’t be trusted to make significant decisions, we have a major issue with the front office. If we think it stops at wasting the #1 pick and subsequently failing to get value for the QB it’s trying to replace, we’re merely pawns in their futile efforts to get back to relevancy. The team has spent too much time trying to be a facsimile of two of its division rivals that it doesn’t even have a semblance of its own identity. This is not the behavior of a front office that is in constant contention. This is the behavior of a front office in disarray that mirrors some of the porous teams in recent memory, including the Cleveland Browns.

So much conjecture and speculation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol... welcome to 2017! Anyone who didn't see this years ago... and slagged any one who did, can now admit they were in serious denial and completely wrong.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim hasn't drafted well, so might as well let Kingsbury make the picks. Keim's drafting and Wilks coaching was abysmal. Thank god Bidwill outsourced the coaching search this time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
just like the conjecture and speculation about Murray.

Nope. Murray had a historic season. His worst game was close to equal to Rosens average game at UCLA

You can throw #alternative facts at me, but there is objective truth out there too, and Rosen cant even sniff Murrays jockstrap. There is a reason crappola like Haskins is getting drafted when Rosen could be traded for.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No one understands how historically feeble this organization has been over the past half century better than I do. But it is somewhat comical to listen to those on this board who are now on suicide watch after we drafted a player who the consensus of draft experts agree was the best player in this draft. God bless some of you if you had to live through us drafting Steve Pisarkiewicz, Clyde Duncan, Steve Little, Larry Stegent, Kelly Stouffer, Tony Sacca, Tom Knight, Wendell Bryant, and many more.

The Cardinals were not wrong to draft Rosen last year. It was the right thing to do at the time. Hiring Wilks was abysmal, and that has MB’s fingerprints all over it. That decision alone put us in the #1 pick situation. Once there, you take the most impactful player in the draft. For once, the Cardinals admitted their mistakes from last year & took the most exciting player in the draft. Bravo!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA