The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a sad indictment of how teams are valued in the NBA. Obviously it’s location, location, location, and has next to nothing to do with skills or titles.

I agree. Knick fans have deserved better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@GatorAZ

Every time I see Doncic I think Chris Mullin.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Knick fans have deserved better.

I disagree. Knicks fans are like Laker fans without the winning or titles. They're convinced they'll sign any big name free agent just based on market and history alone. Let them lose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Knicks fans are like Laker fans without the winning or titles. They're convinced they'll sign any big name free agent just based on market and history alone. Let them lose.

This is what I mean by their fans deserve better.

Suns fans are even more deserving.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA officiating at it's finest tonight in Oakland. Bam Adebayo chasing Livingston from behind blocks the shot clearly after it hit the glass, obvious goaltend. No call, they outlet the ball, the Warriors grab the guy who gets the outlet pass. The refs don't call the goaltend, call a clear path foul on the Warriors, and call a Technical on Draymond for pointing out it was a goaltend.

Then "ball don't lie" comes into play as Wade misses the T free throw. Then they call a makeup offensive foul on the Heat. Then during the next dead ball the Warriors announcers said they heard the ref come over and apologize to kerr admitting they'd missed the goaltend and should not have called the clear path foul either as it was't actually a clear path.

as Jim Barnett said on air it's great they admitted the mistake but that doesn't take away the 12th technical of the season on Draymond putting him closer to the 16 for an automatic suspension.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA officiating at it's finest tonight in Oakland. Bam Adebayo chasing Livingston from behind blocks the shot clearly after it hit the glass, obvious goaltend. No call, they outlet the ball, the Warriors grab the guy who gets the outlet pass. The refs don't call the goaltend, call a clear path foul on the Warriors, and call a Technical on Draymond for pointing out it was a goaltend.

Then "ball don't lie" comes into play as Wade misses the T free throw. Then they call a makeup offensive foul on the Heat. Then during the next dead ball the Warriors announcers said they heard the ref come over and apologize to kerr admitting they'd missed the goaltend and should not have called the clear path foul either as it was't actually a clear path.

as Jim Barnett said on air it's great they admitted the mistake but that doesn't take away the 12th technical of the season on Draymond putting him closer to the 16 for an automatic suspension.

Can't technicals be rescinded by the league? I thought they could. I remember Booker had one rescinded earlier this year but it did nothing to keep him in that game since he was ejected for picking up 2 that night. I know he got the money back for it and it would make sense to remove it from his season total as well but I'm not 100% on removing it from his total or not. Perhaps what Green said warranted a tech regardless of whether the call was missed or not? Some refs don't like being shown up and depending on what he said to them it may still warrant the technical. Seriously though keep an eye on info about that in the next day or two because the league might clear it from his total.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

So the bad call forced Green to lose his cool and pick up a technical? What a strange world you live in. What were his excuses for the other 11 he's gotten?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And comes up big in big moments.

What gets me is that he is basically a full-time point guard who runs the team like a point guard, rebounds like a power forward, shoots like a shooting guard, and oddly enough, holds his own defensively on multiple positions. I was high on Doncic, but I thought he'd be a 50% point guard, that he wouldn't shoot over 30% from three for a year or two, and I had no idea he could hang with 4s defensively. I knew he'd be good, but I had no idea he would be this good. On top of it all, he comes up in big moments. I get more and more amazed with every single game I watch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the bad call forced Green to lose his cool and pick up a technical? What a strange world you live in. What were his excuses for the other 11 he's gotten?

Yes. Anybody that watches NBA games knows that more than half of the T's on players are the result of bad or no calls by the refs. Sure the players can NOT react but that's not reality. The ref blew an easy goaltend call and then compounded it by calling a T on the player who pointed it out to him.

If poophead is right the NBA should rescind the T, it was as a result of a terrible no call, the refs already admitted to Kerr they missed both calls there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gets me is that he is basically a full-time point guard who runs the team like a point guard, rebounds like a power forward, shoots like a shooting guard, and oddly enough, holds his own defensively on multiple positions. I was high on Doncic, but I thought he'd be a 50% point guard, that he wouldn't shoot over 30% from three for a year or two, and I had no idea he could hang with 4s defensively. I knew he'd be good, but I had no idea he would be this good. On top of it all, he comes up in big moments. I get more and more amazed with every single game I watch.

We're also seeing the difference between learning in college and learning in the Euro pro leagues, he's not hit the rookie wall at all yet, presumably because he's been playing more games against older players his whole life.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes. Anybody that watches NBA games knows that more than half of the T's on players are the result of bad or no calls by the refs. Sure the players can NOT react but that's not reality. The ref blew an easy goaltend call and then compounded it by calling a T on the player who pointed it out to him.

If poophead is right the NBA should rescind the T, it was as a result of a terrible no call, the refs already admitted to Kerr they missed both calls there.

Just because a ref misses a call, doesn't give a player the right to abuse them. And I can 100% say Green's language was abusive. With the history of his behavior towards officials, he's lost the benefit of the doubt.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because a ref misses a call, doesn't give a player the right to abuse them. And I can 100% say Green's language was abusive. With the history of his behavior towards officials, he's lost the benefit of the doubt.

Of course it was he used profanity you could read his lips. I'm just saying it was a direct result of 2 bad calls by the refs a no call and a bad call.

It's the epitome of bad officiating a missed goaltend, a bad clearpath call and then because the player responds to the call with profanity he gets a T, all because the ref somehow missed a shot being blocked after it hit the glass. Or 3 refs should I say.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

How many Heat players got a technical after the no-call on Durant's double dribble?

Yes, obviously most technicals result from players being frustrated with officiating errors, but that doesn't explain why Green is always among the league leaders. The rule is that you aren't supposed to show up the referees, whether they're right or wrong. I may not like the rule either, but why is Green so much worse at following it than anyone else?

The Warriors have reached such a state of privilege that they don't think the rules should apply to them. They can play the ball from out of bounds, double-dribble in order to get by a defender, or rage at the officials for missing a call. Then once in a while someone does enforce a rule, and their fan base bursts into tears about how unfair it is. It's a good thing the Suns are so bad that I don't have to care about what's going on at the top of the league.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
How many Heat players got a technical after the no-call on Durant's double dribble?

Yes, obviously most technicals result from players being frustrated with officiating errors, but that doesn't explain why Green is always among the league leaders. The rule is that you aren't supposed to show up the referees, whether they're right or wrong. I may not like the rule either, but why is Green so much worse at following it than anyone else?

The Warriors have reached such a state of privilege that they don't think the rules should apply to them. They can play the ball from out of bounds, double-dribble in order to get by a defender, or rage at the officials for missing a call. Then once in a while someone does enforce a rule, and their fan base bursts into tears about how unfair it is. It's a good thing the Suns are so bad that I don't have to care about what's going on at the top of the league.

I agree. I really enjoyed watching the Warriors years ago when they were a young, up-and-coming team, but things have gotten really out of control over the past couple of years. I still dislike any team LeBron is on more, but outside of that, there really isn't a team I dislike more than the Warriors right now.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Not exactly disagreeing, but I knew a lot of great Knicks fans over the years I lived in New York. Totally cynical but with a sense of humor about it. It reminded me of hearing how Cowboys fans in Dallas were nice.