The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No state income tax as well, as we are often reminded.

For state tax laws, that doesn't matter as much anymore since they get taxed per game by the state the game is in. They still have to pay for half the games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For state tax laws, that doesn't matter as much anymore since they get taxed per game by the state the game is in. They still have to pay for half the games.

That's true but playing for a team in a state with no state tax also means they'll establish a residence there and they can save money with their endorsements and various other ventures by not having to pay taxes on those. So the NBA contracts aren't that big of a deal but for the higher tiered players with various endorsements deals means they can save a nice chunk of cash from those. The mid-level and lower tiered players though probably won't have enough streams of income for it to make much of a difference.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Westbrook has finally broken Jordan's record of 7 consecutive games with a triple double, which is also the most consecutive since Wilt had 9 straight in the 1968. It's impressive how he's averaged a triple doubles in the last 2 seasons in addition to doing so right now. Now it seems like no big deal but 5-10 years ago no one thought it was possible to average a triple double but he's going on 3 years now and the Thunder are looking better than they have in years also.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-jordan-longest-triple-double-streak-51-years

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Westbrook has finally Jordan's record of 7 consecutive games with a triple double, which is also the most consecutive since Wilt had 9 straight in the 1968. It's impressive how he's averaged a triple doubles in the last 2 seasons in addition to doing so right now. Now it seems like no big deal but 5-10 years ago no one thought it was possible to average a triple double but he's going on 3 years now and the Thunder are looking better than they have in years also.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-jordan-longest-triple-double-streak-51-years

Westbrook is definitely looking to get other involved this year, actively and early in games.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Westbrook has finally Jordan's record of 7 consecutive games with a triple double, which is also the most consecutive since Wilt had 9 straight in the 1968. It's impressive how he's averaged a triple doubles in the last 2 seasons in addition to doing so right now. Now it seems like no big deal but 5-10 years ago no one thought it was possible to average a triple double but he's going on 3 years now and the Thunder are looking better than they have in years also.

The new defense rules help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lots of teams positioned themselves to be players in free agency but I see a problem.

By my estimates there were about twice as many slots created as there are max players to fill them?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lots of teams positioned themselves to be players in free agency but I see a problem.

By my estimates there were about twice as many slots created as there are max players to fill them?

Might end up being a great summer to be Kelly Oubre.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Yes! So it's musical chairs.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ah, didn't know that--thanks! And clearly taxes don't stop players from wanting to play in high-tax states, either, so perhaps overrated as a factor.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No he’s a freak of nature and people won’t appreciate him until he’s gone, but he’s special
I agree but the new rules do boost the offensive numbers. It’s just a fact.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree but the new rules do boost the offensive numbers. It’s just a fact.

Yes but we’re talking about averaging a triple double 3 years running. To have that kind of all around game and to carry a load like that is insane.

Not only that talk about the effort every night.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A lot of teams are going to make a lot of foolish decisions this summer.

This is probably a horrible summer for the Suns to be in the free agent market. It will probably be a great summer for trades as teams try to make adjustments to get their free agents in line.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Are assists up league wide?

But that’s also a function of current offensive schemes.

All I am inferring is that you can’t get an assist unless somebody scores.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A lot of teams are going to make a lot of foolish decisions this summer.

This is probably a horrible summer for the Suns to be in the free agent market. It will probably be a great summer for trades as teams try to make adjustments to get their free agents in line.
Agree. I see a replay of that summer where mozgov was paid like Olajuwon. I don’t want to be the ones holding the Moz contract this time around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can wait out the feeding frenzy there may be so good signings to be found. Trade might be the best way to address the point guard position.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I see a replay of that summer where mozgov was paid like Olajuwon. I don’t want to be the ones holding the Moz contract this time around.
Yep. We need to get competitive players on good contracts--Richaun Holmes types. Or we need to trade for a star player. The last thing we want to do is pay max money to marginal players. Even "can't miss" free agents can be bad investments--there are a number of them out there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep. We need to get competitive players on good contracts--Richaun Holmes types. Or we need to trade for a star player. The last thing we want to do is pay max money to marginal players. Even "can't miss" free agents can be bad investments--there are a number of them out there.

Perhaps, but we absolutely cannot go into next season with no viable veteran point guard or power forward the way we did this season. Those gaping holes have to be filled by any means necessary.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Perhaps, but we absolutely cannot go into next season with no viable veteran point guard or power forward the way we did this season. Those gaping holes have to be filled by any means necessary.
Any means necessary? Like trading Devin Booker? Just saying....